Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Keyboard bags - unimpressed!

icarusi

My keys usually stay at home but I was looking for something to tote and was unimpressed with any of the commercial offerings. Some looked better than others for carrying, rip and weather resistance but none of the padding or corner protection looked convincing.

I think I'll stick to one of my old bags. It looks a bit old style but similar padding to what I'd seen. I think I can do better with a home brew.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply
That's why I've switched exclusively to hardshell cases. They're bulky and expensive, but it's worth it

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

I've been using Gator cases for a while now, and they've done just fine.

Of course, the only person that ever handles them is me, so that could be a part of why they've worked well.

"In the beginning, Adam had the blues, 'cause he was lonesome.

So God helped him and created woman.

Now everybody's got the blues."

Willie Dixon

Just thinking about what I would be ok with and the foam must be at least closed cell polyethylene. Some of the bag foams, even though 25mm thick, I could easily fully compress with thumb and finger. I also think it probably needs separate foam end cheeks, custom sized to suit a particular board, which would be put on before the board is put in the bag. I know it would be more of a faff, but I can't think of any other workable end/corner protection for use in a bag.

Do you need to fold your bags?

The Gator cases CANNOT be folded. The base is pretty rigid. There's a handle on one end and wheels on the other for transport.

The padding is pretty good.

CLONK HERE

They're not as protective as hardshell cases, but they're not as heavy or expensive. They are solid enough where I can put the 88 case on my dolly sitting on my amp and cord container, and place the 76 with an XK-3C on top, and it is solid.

Would I fly with them....no

Do they work for me......yes

Willie Dixon

That's why I've switched exclusively to hardshell cases. They're bulky and expensive, but it's worth it
+1. There is no better protection! Always used them and never regretted it.

+2. Count me as another former bag user.

1) Every one of my boards costs more than the savings yielded by a bag 'stead of hard shell.

2) Every one of my boards would be damaged by a mishap that a bag wouldn't protect from (but a hardshell would)

3) Unforeseen crap happens on gigs all the time.

4) Therefore, I use 100% hardshell now.

Of course, if everything always goes according to best of plans, bags would be no problem. And I'd be fending off multiple supermodels trying to stuff $1000s in bearer bonds down my shorts.

I only use soft, gave up hard years ago and never looked back, just too heavy for my needs, but my gear never sees another vehicle but my own.

Guardian cases are good, few sizes though, but the ones they make are the best out there IMO.

My gripe with soft case makers is not enough snug fits, when I go soft I want zero room on all sides.

And I have a Gator semi-rigid, it's too heavy, may as well go hardcase over those.

One more vote for Gator bags here. Good material, build, and zippers and they are reasonably priced. The ones I have also have internal strapping to hold the keyboard in place.

To me the strapping is a definite plus. Keeps them in place solidly. I like that the Velcro is placed in such a way that the padded straps will stay out of the way when placing the board into the case.

Willie Dixon

I've never owned one, but the Gator cases seem to be rigid enough to provide good protection. The SKB cases I've been using are all molded plastic and are not very heavy - not as bad as the ATA ones I own by them.

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

Second.

It's irritating when a bag starts coming apart at the seams. Most of them appear to be of decent quality when they're new, but the real test of quality is six months later when they're crumbling.

I have an SKB molded case--bought used for cheap--and love it for my pc361. I bought a gator "heavy-duty" bag for my weighted controller and don't care for it...I just couldn't bring myself to buy a case worth more than the board! (bought the board used 15 years ago for 125..). I don't get the feeling it's going to come apart, but it's floppy. There was a slim version that may have fit better, but I was hedging bets against getting a mox8 or similar down the road, which would have needed the width. What I should have done was gone uber-cheap with the controller bag and later get a nice case for whatever stage piano/synth I may get.

Of course it depends on one's needs. For standard local gigging, I think gig bags are fine. I stick with GigSkinz, Yamaha, Gator, and ProTec (no longer available), as proven and reliable, with GigSkinz probably the best due to quality wheels but maybe Gator winning out for the best zippers.

I would never buy SKB again. I said that many years ago and then ended up with some newer style SKB molded bass cases last year. The handles came off; literally shattered as I was carrying the case. The stress of the slight swinging motion was too much for them. The plastic itself shattered; it wasn't a matter of loose screws etc. My rule of thumb is to stay away from molded cases.

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager

Yes. I have had a $500 ATA case made for a $550 keyboard, no regrets.

Having said that, the biggest single improvement I've made to my schlepping routine in the last five years is a 49-key Protec gig bag. I put my bench and OnStage KS7150 stand in it, along with miscellaneous stand accessories and percussion bits and bobs. Reducing all that stuff to one hand/one trip was a wonderful change.

I like my gator bag. However I only use it once a week to church. After two years it's showing some wear and will have to be rerivited by the wheels. If I was giging again I think I would look at a hard case. ~BOB
I'm practicing so that people can maybe go "wow" at an imaginary gig I'll never play. -Nadroj

I've always liked Protec and Gator.

More recently I checked out some of the hybrid bags/cases from Fusion and was really impressed.

http://www.fusion-bags.com/products/keyboard-gig-bags

[i do not sell Fusion or work for/with them in any way.]

My gear travels to gigs in the back of my car. I use a Gator GPA700 wheeled bag for my JBL EON 515XT speakers, and I had custom bags made to fit my keyboards - Hammond XK3c, XLK3 lower keyboard, XPK200 pedalboard, Hammond XK1, Kurzweil SP4-7 - and an extra bag that holds a folding stand and a folding seat. Loading in and out for most gigs takes three trips with a bag in each hand.

The custom bags are heavy duty but light weight and were made by a local canvas goods manufacturer who usually makes tents, tarpaulins, etc. The bags are made of tough 650 gsm PVC on the outside, with an acrylic lining inside and foam padding in between, along with a thin but stiff plastic board in one side of the bag, to protect the top of the keyboard, and another board in the bottom of the bag, to protect the back of the keyboard when the bag is on the ground. The bags are closed with coil zippers and carried with a handle made from a loop of seatbelt webbing sewn around the sides and bottom.

Each bag cost around $200 three years ago, and there hasn't been any wear or tear to any of the gear or the bags yet.

http://users.on.net/~harrisonp/Keyboard%20bag.jpg

...Loading in and out for most gigs takes three trips with a bag in each hand....

Loading in and out with hard cases on a dolly takes one trip, which is a lifesaver on corporate gigs when the ballroom is nowhere near the loading dock. On the other hand, if you've got the time, walking is good for you... :)

... Loading in and out for most gigs takes three trips with a bag in each hand....

Loading in and out with hard cases on a dolly takes one trip, which is a lifesaver on corporate gigs when the ballroom is nowhere near the loading dock. On the other hand, if you've got the time, walking is good for you... :)

I keep a folding handcart in the car that can carry three bags at a time for rare occasions when I can't park within a stone's throw of the stage door.

RuXXac handcart

I have a Protec rigid foam case (thin plywood with rigid foam interior). It's 15 lbs and has protected my 55 lb keyboard very well for 15 years now. I've had to restitch the shoulder straps and replace the strap buckles, but otherwise it's held up well.

It's perfect for in my minivan, in the back with other gear. It's not good enough for the band van or pickup. That was hard enough on my Rhodes; I don't think I'd put anything but a hardshell case through that.

The light weight is a real saver for me, as I have 6 or 7 steps between my driveway or garage and house.

Unfortunately, Protec doesn't seem to make my case any more. It looks a lot like this one from Guardian:

http://www.guardiancases.com/ck010.html

http://www.guardiancases.com/images/ck010_full.jpg

As mentioned above, it doesn't come in sizes big enough for the big 88's, but I believe a Privia or MOX8 would fit in it. I'm looking forward to doing that and reducing the load by about 30 lbs!

One more vote for Gator bags here. Good material, build, and zippers and they are reasonably priced. The ones I have also have internal strapping to hold the keyboard in place.

Agree with all of the above - except for the zippers; those haven't held up too well. And I've taken reasonably good care of my Gator GK-76 and GK-88. But the zippers seem to be the weak link. My Ultimate Support USS1-76 has a far superior zipper, but since it's more of a bag than a reinforced soft case - albeit still very well padded, I won't carry anything heavier than my Jupiter 50 in it.

The GKB-76 - with it's padded, non-rigid design - actually has a heavier duty zipper than the well reinforced GK model - at least based on the GK-76 I purchased about three years ago. Perhaps a newer version has an improved zipper. Both the USS1-76 and GKB-76 have a wider zipper like those found on high quality winter parkas and other outdoor gear. The zippers on my GK's are lighter, and feel much less durable.

'Someday, we'll look back on these days and laugh; likely a maniacal laugh from our padded cells, but a laugh nonetheless' - Mr. Boffo.

We need a barfing cat emoticon!

To clarify what I said earlier, ProTec got out of the keyboard bag business as there aren't that many keyboardists compared to guitarists or even certain band instruments (with a built-in high school student market).

There may still be some back stock available here and there though.

I've seen the Fusion bags and they are quite luxurious and protective, but wow are they ever expensive! If it's a perfect match size-wise it would be worth it. If not, probably better to focus on best fit as the main criterium. The finecases.com site is good for that but doesn't cover some brands.

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager

Ive posted this before this is what I was transporting the XK-3C in when I had it:

http://i45.tinypic.com/i2jzmb.jpg

"Danny, ci manchi a tutti. La E-Street Band non e' la stessa senza di te. Riposa in pace, fratello"

noblevibes.com

Agree with all of the above - except for the zippers; those haven't held up too well.

I use a cheap Casio soft bag reinforced with hard dense foam from packaging some other item came packed in. Double sided tape holds the foam firmly on the base of the bag. I left a section out in the middle of the bag so I could fold it in half for storage at gigs. I carry it and travel to gigs by car and it only has a light weight $400 controller inside.

But the zipper on one side is failing after 2 years of use. Zippers seem to be the Achilles heel of soft bags.

If I was taking the XK3c to gigs I would want a hard case with wheels.

A misguided plumber attempting to entertain | MainStage 3 | Axiom 61 2nd Gen | Pianoteq | B5 | XK3c | EV ZLX 12P

I use a BCK bag as it was the only one I could find that was about the right dimensions for my Kurzweil SP4-7 - but I have a thick (2 inch) piece of foam cut to size that goes in the bag to protect the top of the keyboard.

Has anyone ever used a fusion bag? They look interesting. Was thinking of getting one for my kawai es4, instead of the road case it's in now.

Just FWIW, Kawai makes a pretty good branded softcase with wheels for the ES4. I bought my ES4 with the Kawai case and have used it for over six years with no problems - I still use it today.

Obviously for serious travel your road case is the best option but for local gigging like I do the case that Kawai makes is fine and may be a good bit lighter.

Archived