Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

A tale of customer service

wraub

A-C is in the wrong here, but that doesn't mean the buyer is in the right.

Absolutely -- I think this is less about right/wrong than it is about miscommunication, short-sightedness and unrealistic expectations by both parties.

A cautionary tale for all of us -- kind of a "how not to do it" when buying or selling a high-end bass.

"Tours widely in the southwestern tip of Kentucky"

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Silly question here: when did we reach a point where a Fender clone shop is justified in charging over $5K for an instrument?

Granted, I know that Fodera is charging well more than that for a good deal of their instruments. But those basses are constructed in a far more labor intensive fashion than the bolt-on 5 string that inspired this thread.

Obligatory Social Media Link

"My concern is, and I have to, uh, check with my accountant, that this might bump me into a higher, uh, tax..."

Silly question here: when did we reach a point where a Fender clone shop is justified in charging over $5K for an instrument?

That's the free market for you.

I actually think we're kind of living in a golden age for basses -- you can find good quality basses in almost any price range, even at the very low end right now. And I think innovation and quality at the high end drive quality to the low end.

I recall when I was coming up, the starter gear was pretty dreadful, and it was a leap in both price and quality to get to a "good" bass.

"Tours widely in the southwestern tip of Kentucky"

Am I the only person who thinks $700 is not a "heavy discount" off of a $5700 bass that can't be set up to play right? What is that, around 12%? I don't think the term "heavy" would be applicable under twice that much on a GOOD bass. From what can be discerned about this hunk of crud, 50% off the list price would be more in line, and it would STILL be high-priced junk.

I don't think I buy the bit about trick photography Coppolo wrote in his response. I know a bit about photography, and it would a bit much to go through all it would take to get the results he's talking about, just to post them on TB.

I wouldn't be considering one of his basses for my next purchase anyway, I just can't afford one, and doubt I would pay that much for a bass even if I COULD afford it. But it's nice to know that, among all the high-price high-altitude luthier artistry out there, I'm not missing anything but a bad time by not being able to afford an Alleva-Coppolo.

Always remember that you are unique. Just like everyone else.

I actually think we're kind of living in a golden age for basses -- you can find good quality basses in almost any price range, even at the very low end right now. And I think innovation and quality at the high end drive quality to the low end.

I recall when I was coming up, the starter gear was pretty dreadful, and it was a leap in both price and quality to get to a "good" bass.

Right on. And it's a situation that's changed in so many other areas as well, except bassoons. They're still silly expensive (I guess...I dunno) But getting back to the point: And even 'back in the day', the expensive instruments could even be pieces of crap. My old-n-gone Ricky 4001 had some real piss-metal for the dual truss rods that gave up the ghost after zero edjustments. And the soft metal in the frets had huge divots in them, which at the time we blamed on Chris Squire and his damn rotosound round wounds. Most everything in manufacturing is better these days.

Things are just the way they are, and they're only going to get worse.

...I wouldn't be considering one of his basses for my next purchase anyway, I just can't afford one, and doubt I would pay that much for a bass even if I COULD afford it. But it's nice to know that, among all the high-price high-altitude luthier artistry out there, I'm not missing anything but a bad time by not being able to afford an Alleva-Coppolo.

To be fair, $5700 is on the high end for an AC bass, typically more in the $2000-3000 range. Still high, but around the range of an average Sadowsky or similar.

I have played a couple of AC basses, and I have met JC, back when I lived in NYC. Jimmy struck me as a good builder driven to build well. The basses struck me as nice, as you'd expect for the price, but nothing better than, again, Sadowsky or similar.

Jimmy's thing is making new 5 string active basses that play/feel like vintage Fender basses. He's usually pretty successful at it. Nathan Watts, Bobby Vega, and Willie Weeks both seemed to think so.

I also have met Roger and have toured his establishment.

FWIW, I had a better impression of him and his instruments.

All imo, etc.

I'm a lot more like I am now than I was when I got here.

Years ago I went to NAMM looking for a boutique Jazz bass. I tried out every bass of that ilk at the show and talked to all the builders. The choice I made had a great deal to do with the personality of the builder.

Roger was a close second and the fact that Mike was on the same coast as me factored into the decision.

I wanted to include the picture of what I'm talking about but they have been removed.

Many things can be said and argued about the condition, photography and even the possibility of outright sabotage but the thing that really screamed at me that there was very little care in making the bass was the back of the upper horn, near the neck. It looked like it was crafted with the teeth of pubescent wolverines on Nyquil. After seeing that literal hack job, on a $5700 instrument, I found it hard to question any other issue.

Picker had it right too, questioning the "deep discount" of $700.

I'd also expect, at that price, a halfway decent case, even if its sole purpose was to protect it in transit.

If you think my playing is bad, you should hear me sing!

Mike Lull built my bass for me after several discussions and when it was done I picked it up at his shop. That's how to buy an expensive bass.

This is the way to do it.

After several calls to the Keith Roscoe shop, including a Thanksgiving trip to Charlotte to visit my daughter, I made a trip to Greensboro and took a tour of the shop. I had in mind a build- Gard showed me dozens of tops/bodies/necks to choose from and we went thru the options. I saw 'Progress' shots as the process continued to the final product.

I've got two Lulls (both bought used), one had a neck issue. I contacted Lull, sent the bass back and had it repaired at no cost (outside of shipping).

Good customer service is dependent on the buyer and builder's level of communication. I have to wonder if that existed in this case?

Jim

Confirmed RoscoeHead

It sounds like the OP did minimal research, ignored previous posters complaints, didn't deeply question the seller/builder,

and took a lot more at face value than most would have.

It sounds like the seller/builder had a piece of gear that was rushed for a show, held for a layaway, wouldn't sell, had issues despite already high costs counting as stock not moving, that he could sell despite obvious issues, and jumped at the chance to get even (or better) [Didn't even include a hard case...])

I'm a lot more like I am now than I was when I got here.

Archived