Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Hiromi: "Can I try playing it again?"

Jazz+

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 7 months later...

Just discovered her via a bass player friend of mine. This is crazy.

[video:youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3W_gChZu_F0&feature=youtu.be

Soul, R&B, Pop from Los Angeles

http://philipclark.com

Cannonball Gerald Albright Signature Alto, Yamaha YC73, Fender Rhodes, Roland Juno-106, Yamaha MX61, Roland VR-09, MicroKorg XL, Maschine Mikro, Yamaha Reface CP, Roland MKS-50

Talent aside, there's something odd about being on a recorded program with a live audience and asking to play a song twice because you weren't happy with it the first time. It's quirky and charming, but not in a "jazz" sort of way. Maybe it's a japanese cultural thing?

That's actually kind of standard. However, they usually edit it so only the best take is broadcast :idk:

I'm moved by the consistency of Hiromi's output. While the music itself (as artistic project) still needs some maturation in my view, her approach keeps such high quality standards that you just have to admire her. Fast polyrhythms, complex compositions, great playing... More points for having developed such an astonishing tecnique with those very small hands. Makes me think of Katia Labeque and Alicia DeLarrocha.

Another one - with a great Japanese tap dancer. (!)

[video:youtube]

Thanks for the clips. The tap dancer one - never seen anything like that before.

EDIT: the clip of her playing the piano with the Nord on top. Anyone else remember the full page keyboard ad for the Grove School Of Music (or Berklee?).

Piano with a DX7 on top and a blurb about being on top of today's technology and being able to play.

Just magazine nostalgia.

I'm the piano player "off of" Borrowed Books.

...Excuse me while I go set fire to my piano and take up chess or something.

I know. Best choose to be inspired instead of discouraged.

I mentioned it on here before but I remember Lyle Mays (great player) saying in a Keyboard interview that hearing Herbie made him want to go away and practise Stella By Starlight for a few years before getting back on the stage.

I also remember Randy Newman saying the time spent listening to Keith's Koln effort might be better spent listening to ... was it Rach's 2nd piano concerto?

I like this woman's efforts and it makes me want to practise.

(The Rach's great by the way. I was a bit annoyed 25 years ago or whenever it was Randy said it - but I've changed my mind the more I've gotten into "the jazz idiom" - he had a point).

I'm the piano player "off of" Borrowed Books.

I always liked this Jarret style piece she wrote, it's in 7/4. She starts really ramping it up at 4:20- 6 ... brilliant energy, almost unbelievable to me... I have been trying to learn it since I got the .pdf score from Japan.

[video:youtube]

Find 660 of my jazz piano arrangements of standards for educational purposes and tutorials at www.Patreon.com/HarryLikas Harry was the Technical Editor of Mark Levine's "The Jazz Theory Book" and helped develop "The Jazz Piano Book."

Archived