Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

George Duke on Marian McPartland's Piano Jazz show

Jazz+

George Duke on Marian McPartland's Piano Jazz:

"Now's The Time" (C. Parker)

"Geneva" (G. Duke)

"Blue In Green" (M. Davis)

"Stella By Starlight" (N. Washington, V. Young)

"Free Piece" (G. Duke, M. McPartland)

"Murwoods Sleep" (G. Duke)

"Straight, No Chaser" (T. Monk)

"In A Sentimental Mood" (E.K. Ellington)

"My Funny Valentine" (L. Hart, R. Rodgers)

"The Intimacy Of The Blues" (B. Strayhorn)

http://www.npr.org/2013/02/15/172105940/george-duke-on-piano-jazz

Find 660 of my jazz piano arrangements of standards for educational purposes and tutorials at www.Patreon.com/HarryLikas Harry was the Technical Editor of Mark Levine's "The Jazz Theory Book" and helped develop "The Jazz Piano Book."

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Thanks for posting this, listening to it now, right now I'm at the point where he's talking about working with Zappa. What a great conversation.

Turn up the speaker

Hop, flop, squawk

It's a keeper

-Captain Beefheart, Ice Cream for Crow

Thanks for posting this, ...

+1

I woke up with that today and may roll it again before the day is out.

I'm a little confused (as usual). He says he left Zappa in 1971. I saw him with Zappa but I thought it was a few years after that.

--wmp

Jerry's interview is incredible. It really is a must read.

Thanks for posting the link J+!!!

Agreed! Fantastic job!

http://www.keyboardmag.com/article/george-duke---the-final-interview/152436

Totally agree. IMO one of the high points in all of Keyboard Magazine's history. Having the issue come out about the same time as the news of George's passing was especially poignant. Although it was heartbreaking to have such a great piece end up being a tribute, I honestly don't think you could have made a better tribute if you'd known it was going to turn out that way! Respectful, comprehensive and so informative. Stellar job, sir! :thu:

><>

Steve

Thanks for the kind words. It still hurts a lot to realize he's gone. It's interesting, while catching up on things/life, I mentioned that SF asked me to do the interview, and George said there's no one he'd rather have do it. Wow... he knew I knew a lot about him, and I'm sure knew my love and respect for him (after 20+ years). But he was very private about his health and I had no idea. But now that he passed, his staff all told me, "we knew it was important that you/we did this job right." I'm glad we did.

Jerry

Archived