Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Echo effect for Farfisa Compact Duo

HCA

Hi folks,

I hope I'm posting in the right place. I have a Farfisa Compact Duo and I like the early Pink Floyd Duo/Binson sound. I am running the organ through an old Boss RE-1000 Digital Echo unit at the moment and like the sound. I have seen a new product called the Catalinbread Echorec being marketed as the closest thing to the old Binson units.

What I wanted to know was is it worth spending out on the Echorec pedal and has anyone tried it?

Thanks.

Kurzweil MIDIboard, Kurzweil K2000R VP Sampler, Hammond B3, Hammond M102, Farfisa Compact Duo, Neo Ventilator, Boss RT20

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have a friend that works at Catalinbread.

they have a pretty good reputation, deservedly so.

if they say it sounds like an Echorec then it does.

if it didn't they would be relentlessly hounded by guitar pedal freaks until they went out of business.

Thanks Yorgatron. I am very attracted to it having seen the guitar demo.

Does anyone know much about the desireability of the Boss RE-1000? I will sell it to offset the cost of the Echorec if I buy one. Unfortunately there is not much on the net about it as they seem quite rare. I can check completed listings on ebay but I wouldn't mind knowing a bit more about it.

Kurzweil MIDIboard, Kurzweil K2000R VP Sampler, Hammond B3, Hammond M102, Farfisa Compact Duo, Neo Ventilator, Boss RT20

That's good to know. I have ordered one. Can't wait to try it!

I played keys for a PF tribute band a while ago. I used either a Line 6 Echo Pro or a Digitech RDS delay for Binson delay sounds.

I know a lot of Binson cork sniffers tend to shun the Line 6 version of the Binson, but on stage its somewhat cartoon-ish character is absolutely perfect. Plus the external controller options and tap tempo are very welcome.

The Digitech doesn't have the platter-like warble, but using the LFO on the delay correctly plus the smooth time warping was awesome and very "psychedelic". It was a great substitute - which, makes sense since Gilmour went with MXR digitals for a while to replace his Binson and Digitechs are similar.

I still have the Line 6, but also have an CB Echorec as well. I use it for guitar...haven't run my keys through it, but it definitely lives up to the hype if you want that Binson thing. It's much more accurate than the Line 6, but I had to increase the "character" trim pot (adjusts the randomness and intensity of the platter warble) to make it sound ideal to me.

You can select platter taps and combinations (like head tapes on a tape delay). I think it's selection two that is instant "Another Brick in the Wall". Very nice.

I run mine 12v because the of preamp section. I would advise doing so, especially if you're using keyboards. Better if you can run it at 18v to max out the headroom.

FWIW, if I were still doing keys for the PF tribute, I would probably still use the Echo Pro. Mainly because you can have the rack sitting right there for adjustments (the Echorec is a pedal...small and a PITA for quick on stage adjustments), but it does really have a nice Binson-like sound...in stereo.

Thanks for the advice everyone. I have ordered an 18 vdc PSU for it. I think it will take a while to sort out the levels. My Duo did not have the preamp/psu with it and although I built a PSU to provide the different power supplies that it needs, it doesn'nt have a preamp. I run straight into a mic preamp on my mixer. So hopefully the signal is not too hot for the CB Echorec. I don't play out with my rig so am not worried too much about the non clicking programme selector. What did you use as your main board for the PF shows? I have a Kuzweil K2000 VP rack and a MIDIboard.

Great stuff! I am working my way through those youtube clips. I have never tried cigar or machine. I stick to the organ and piano parts because I'm a coward.

The Echorec turned up today and I'm really impressed. It's only running on 9 volts at the moment because the 18 volt PSU won't arrive until next week. Instant Echoes Live at Pompeii though.

Archived