Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Where is that warm, cool *Blues* sound ?

Theo Verelst

Hearing example after example of organ clones, romplers and even analog synthesizer tones/tracks, I can't help but wonder why it is so hard to get a basic blues sound right that a high school band would already get from basic components, Is that because we all want positive discrimination (in less of a dutch-ism: "affirmative action") for midrangy non-full range monitors and youtube-multimedia shows, ad some "new" ideas to go with that, or maybe you guys have monitors that sound really great when you play your examples, but anyhow: where's the sound that one can put on a headphone at decently low volume and that makes you think "yeah, ri-ght/-de on" when a good player (of which there are many here) plays a well meant 12 bar blues?

To start of a (possible) discussion, here's a little "corrected PC3 sounds" live played example I did in two unprocessed, analog output recorded tracks, neutrally mixed together:

pc3corr_orgbass.mp3 44.1 st 256 kbs 34 sec

My point being: is it considered hard to get sounds right, or am I being too demanding ? OF course the overseers of the big ol' audio-grounds may have different opinions than mine, but as an (E) engineer and music interested person, I want at least discussion.

Theo V.

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't see any big challenge in getting a good bluesy tone for a high school band. My Nord NE2, admittedly not the best of the clones, would do just fine with right amplification. The player matters far more than the instrument, especially when the instrument is well into the "decent" range.

The embarassing part is how many high school players I've seen who can mop the floor with me, in terms of abillity, technique, groove, and just about every other category. Sigh!

To start of a (possible) discussion, here's a little "corrected PC3 sounds" live played example I did in two unprocessed, analog output recorded tracks, neutrally mixed together:

pc3corr_orgbass.mp3 44.1 st 256 kbs 34 sec

My point being: is it considered hard to get sounds right, or am I being too demanding ? OF course the overseers of the big ol' audio-grounds may have different opinions than mine, but as an (E) engineer and music interested person, I want at least discussion.

Theo V.

Are you presenting these "corrected" sounds as an example of sounds done "right" or as sounds that need a little "affirmative action"?

Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.

-Mark Twain

I think Theo is saying that modern equipment doesn't even sound as bluesy as a High School band could get from "basic components" (by which I think he means AP, EP, tonewheel etc).

To which I would reply: the blues is more about the player, and less about the instrument. True of all music, but especially true here.

Edit: just noticed LearJeff made the same point above.

Cheers, Mike.

I have stayed with "real instruments" for the past decade, and play seldom on keyboards-through-samples-on-laptops, etc. That is to say, I have used mainly Nords, as clone-wheels for at least six years, other stuff before that.

The current range of Hammonds are clone-wheels.

I'm not complaining: we can't hear the difference: take a blindfold test.

Now, don't misunderstand me. All these clone-wheels don't sound the same. I like some better than others.

But I have heard some very ordinary vintage instruments, (which other people just adored), not necessarily unloved instruments. They don't all sound the same,either.

What I don't want to do is say this one is better than that. But I am fascinated by the way a variety of skilled players can use a variety of clone-wheels and vintage instruments through the same amps, and after a short while none of us would bet our lives to sort out which was which.

True, it is as much the magic of the players choosing to fool us as it is the "similarity" of the instruments. But when we don't know exactly what is being played, we simply don't know (Of course, some little mechanical things, foldback, ninth drawbar tricks, bending notes, can sometimes sort things out very smartly).

Where instruments like the Kronos sit in this mix, I don't know. I have a Roland RD700NX, and, sorry, love the pianos, very cool about the organs. (And don't give me a blindfold test on the pianos, either, please. I don't know if I would survive.)

So, getting that Blues sound should be within reach on a clone-wheel. I think. (By the way, I was intrigued by the example in the opening post in this thread. What you play, and how you play it, is important, if this whole topic is important.)

Archived