Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Using IPAD for bands

Rocket Man 2

OK, I've searched and found nothing on IPAD use on this forum (I'm sure it's out there--I just haven't found it.)

Has anyone used IPADs on-stage in lieu of paper notation--sheet music, charts, lyrics? I create the illusion of an entire band using IPADs, eg., driven by one master (using WiFi) to several IPADs.

Problems I see are:

1. Screen isn't big enough to see all of what's on it. Ideally, the screen should be at least the size of TWO 8.5" X 11.0" pieces of paper. This would allow for pre-reading (not the right word) the sheet music.

2. Each musician (or section) may have a different part.

3. Each musician may have his/her own notation on the sheet music / chart / lyrics (some form of abbreviation, short-hand, etc. that would NOT be shared from a master unit.)

What would seem to be a great learning tool now seems to be more trouble than it's worth.

Would you have used IPADs, etc., please share your experience? Could you direct me to a learning source?

Thanks.

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks for your responses. I have just come across "Finale Songbook for iPAD" that I shall investigate.

Does anybody use screens larger than a 10" iPAD?

Other problems I forsee: Sunny daylight, falling off a music stand, battery failure, missing power adapter, power on stage. These aren't that much different from paper notation with pit lights, wind, etc.

How is it in the real world?

It just depends on the style of music. I'm in a classic rock type band, and for me I find that paper works well for a set list; I sing harmonies usually, and I just memorize the words...when I can't, I just run a copy from a lyrics site, cut it down to make it more compact, and tape it on a keyboard, etc.

Sharpie marker, a pad of paper and masking tape.

How is it in the real world?

I use an iPad running On-Song to organize my "charts" and song lists. I work with multiple projects - each with their own songlist. I've got somewhere in the vicinity of 350 tunes in collective song library.

My charts tend to be extremely rudimentary "chord name" only type things. Some I "write from scratch" within OnSong itself. Others are simply "cut & paste" copies of "lyric and chord symbol" charts grabbed from the internet - transferred over to the iPad using Dropbox. I capture whatever minimum chord structure notes I need along with what patches I use. I associate an MP3 copy of the original artist recording with the chart - which puts the ability to start the recording right on the screen with the chart.

My projects usually work from setlists that get circulated a day or two before each gig. It takes me maybe 10 minutes to create the setlist in On-Song. Once created my charts are instantly accessible in "set list order" - simply be swiping the screen.

My iPad sits on top of my Kronos 88 in a "blank" spot to the right of the Kronos controls - held in place with 4 - 1/2 inch in diameter Velcro dots. I like the inverse screen display (white letters on a black background) for indoor use and the regular (black letters on a white background) for outdoor use. It takes pretty strong direct sunlight before the glare renders it unreadable. In this position - it's extremely unobtrusive. No "visible music stands on stage" violations here!!!!

Personally, I love the thing. Managing my charts has never been so easy. No more losing charts that I scribbled out during rehearsal .. and then lost before I put it into the system. No more of those "oh, I've done that with another band ... damn I wish I had my chart handy!" moments. It's not a cheap solution - however if you likeusing technology to help keep you organized and can swing the cost - you'll love using an iPad in this capacity.

The SpaceNorman :freak:

Hi there,

Im in a covers band where all members are using ipads and Airturn BT-105 page turners. All our charts have been scanned or purchased as PDF's. The drummer,guitarist and bass player are using 'forscore' app. I play keys and am using 'setlist maker' app as i use it not only for charts but also to drive my patch changes on my 2 keyboards via midi. i love it. You can annotate on both programs and they have a lot of other tools available.

Cheers

I use a Samsung Tab 2(the Android I-Pad) with the 7inch screen and have no problem seeing it as everything is back lit. I use the tablet for backing tracks for my solo gigs, also have a folder for lyrics,etc. Works great, these units sell for around $200.00

RocketMan said: Other problems I forsee: Sunny daylight, falling off a music stand, battery failure, missing power adapter, power on stage.

No problems in sunny daylight....and velcro strips can solve any "falling off" problems, battery failure should only occur after many thousands of hours of use (don't know any one who has ever had a battery failure) and as far as a missing power adapter, well, that can happen with any instrument. Every musician I know that uses a tablet whether Apple or Samsung (Android system) loves them.

Archived