Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Newbie asking what to buy.

Ironhorse

Let me apologize up front, as I'm sure this has been asked before, but looking back over 15 pages, I was unable to locate a thread like this: so...

A little about me: I'm going to be 50 in a few years, and would consider myself a bass nerd, and for a long time now, a frustrated, wanna-be bass player.If I hear a song with a good bass groove, my right fingers start tapping in unison with it. I'm primarily interested in playing Rock bass, as that's the style most of my "bass heroes" play in (Geddy Lee, Flea, Les Claypool, John Entwistle, Billy Sheehan, and can't leave out the insanely talented Victor Wooten, even though he isn't a "rocker.")

I've begun researching what I want to buy - and begun delving into the whole "passive vs. active" pickups argument - and am, at present, leaning hard toward a Fender Squier P bass. It seems like a nice, solid beginner bass. I'd love to get a regular P bass, but they are costly, and I kind of liken that to learning how to drive in a Lamborghini.

Any advice you all could offer would be greatly appreciated.

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

From your post on the guitar forum, sure you don't wanna pick up a les paul? :)

You'll find a wide variety of responses because it's a very personal thing. First I'd say go to the store, pick some up and see what feels/sounds good to you. If it were me, I'd pick a Jazz before a P bass. Generally, your playing has as much or more to do with your sound as the bass - so focus on that.

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

Best advise I can give you is to just get a bass and start playing. There was a time not TOO long ago when entry level basses were for lack of a better word crap. That's no longer true.

You can't go wrong with a nice precision bass and Squier makes some pretty nice ones. You can get an Affinity series for $179 new. If you can swing it I'd suggest going up a hundred to the Vintage Modified series which are equal in quality to the Mexican made Fenders (in my opinion of course).

Welcome to the forum. Stick around, let us know what you get, how you're progressing, etc. Pretty nice, supportive, non-judgmental group around here.

Push the button Frank.

The Squier's not a bad place to start, but if you're at all serious you may outgrow it quickly.

Have you considered stretching a bit and buying a used Fender P-bass? Less sticker shock than a new one.

"Tours widely in the southwestern tip of Kentucky"

If I was just starting off, I would go with a passive P Bass for sure. You need to be concentrating on learning how to play the instrument, and the fewer bells and whistles on the bass that you have to deal with to get a decent sound out of it, the better. With a P Bass, you can just whip the two knobs all the way up and play, and it'll sound great. Later on, you can get into exploring the tones you can get out of it and what they are good for.

I agree with jcadmus about looking for a used Fender. You might be better off getting a used Fender, even an MIM (made in Mexico), instead of a Squier. I'm very suspicious of the "all-in-one" packages that folks are selling for beginners these days. I have a hard time believing something in the package isn't gonna give you a problem eventually, and probably sooner than later. The longer you can stick with one instrument, the better off you are, & the better the quality of the wood and electronic components, the longer it will last for you.

You don't need a big amp to start out, just something that'll make the bass loud enough to hear. You could even go with a headphone amp, which can be very inexpensive.

In any event, welcome to the dark side!

Always remember that you are unique. Just like everyone else.

You don't need a big amp to start out, just something that'll make the bass loud enough to hear. You could even go with a headphone amp, which can be very inexpensive.

This -- those little 30-watt "starter" amps are worthless. I'd suggest you go with a headphone dealy until you're ready to plunk down a few dollars to get an amp big enough to gig.

"Tours widely in the southwestern tip of Kentucky"

When auditioning a bass, don't plug it in at first. If it doesn't sing acoustically (feel that nice body resonance from all strings), put it aside and look for a better example.

1000 Upright Bass Links, Luthier Directory, Teacher Directory - http://www.gollihurmusic.com/links.cfm

[highlight] - Life is too short for bad tone - [/highlight]

I'd suggest you go with a headphone dealy

Right on. 'Cause practice ain't pretty. Put the extra coin towards lessons. Lessons rule. You can quote me on that.

Which bass? Anything with flats on it. Well...Seriously, any decent piece of wood will do. I'm partial to any damn thing with EMG pickups in it. EMG's would make a turd sound good. Then go here: http://garywillis.com/pages/bass/bassmanual/setupmanual.html to set it all up. Set-up is more important that you'd think, and even thoug it ain't rocket surgery, the bastards at the local music store have no idea what they're doing.

I've never played one, but the Fender Vintage Modified Jazz basses have gotten rave reviews in the best bang for the buck category. But who cares? If'n this bass thing catches on for you, then the first bass you buy will certainly not be your last.

That's my story and i"m sticking to it. Welcome to the club. Post a pic of whatever bass you buy or we'll be relentlessly on your case about it.

Peace

Paul K

Things are just the way they are, and they're only going to get worse.

Well i'll say it again that i prefer the jazz. But regardless, setup is important. Do you know somebody who is a good bass player? If so, take him to the store with you. They'll have multiples of the same model and every single one will be different. A seasoned bass player will help pick the one with a good setup and no neck issues,

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

Well i'll say it again that i prefer the jazz. But regardless, setup is important. Do you know somebody who is a good bass player? If so, take him to the store with you. They'll have multiples of the same model and every single one will be different. A seasoned bass player will help pick the one with a good setup and no neck issues,

Actually, I was mistaken in my first post...It is a Squier Vintage Modified Jazz Bass I linked in the link above. Re: The experienced player - I wish. Heck, I wish I even knew an experienced 6-string player... I'm sure even they could be of help. But, alas, no. I don't know any musicians at all, in my personal life.

BTW - What are the differences between a Precision Bass and a Jazz Bass?

P- One split pickup placed where it'll get good thump, and a beefier neck. The one that started it all. Think Jamerson.

J- two pickups, one by the bridge and one by the neck. More versatile as far as sounds go. And a thinner neck, especially at the headstock end. Think Geddy Lee.

You can get an Affinity series for $179 new. If you can swing it I'd suggest going up a hundred to the Vintage Modified series which are equal in quality to the Mexican made Fenders (in my opinion of course).

As an aside, the Affinity basses have never impressed me, and some have been downright crummy. The Vintage Modified series is great, and I like the look of that one you picked out.

But Dan and Bob made good points - go to your local music store and try some out. Even if you don't know how to play or exactly what you're looking for, it's a very different experience to check something out in person versus online (just be wary of overzealous salespeople!).

"Of all the world's bassists, I'm one of them!" - Lug

My advice would be don't buy your first bass, skip it. Go straight to your third bass, in the end you will save money.

Regarding a small amplifier, you will need a bedroom amp in any case, so spend the least you can in an Ashdown after 8 or something similar.

You might also get a cheap mixer and amplified speakers, like a pair if Behringer,s for sone $50. An audio input for your computer will allow you to jam with records and to record yourself, which is a good thing to improve.

-- Michele Costabile (http://proxybar.net)

My advice would be don't buy your first bass, skip it. Go straight to your third bass, in the end you will save money.

An audio input for your computer will allow you to jam with records and to record yourself, which is a good thing to improve.

OK, I guess I'll just go out and buy a Fodera, or a Carl Thompson Rainbow bass, and be done with it...LOL.

That is a wonderful idea! Being able to hear myself play would really allow me to critique what I've done. I will definitely keep it in mind!!

OK, I guess I'll just go out and buy a Fodera, or a Carl Thompson Rainbow bass, and be done with it...LOL!

Well, a Fodera might be my tenth bass :)

My advice would be to go just one notch beyond what is good for the price and get what is good. But that does not mean to go beyond $500, to fix a reference. And hold it, weigh it, touch it. Play it unplugged and plugged before choosing the one. It has to please your ears, your hands and your shoulders.

-- Michele Costabile (http://proxybar.net)

• 3 weeks later...

Thank you all, again, for your responses. The reason I've been silent since my last post is my job (trucker, driving coast to coast - run 3 weeks, home 1)I'm usually home around the 1st of every month, just happen to have a couple of unexpected days off.

kenfxj: Thank you for that, I will give those basses a good hard look!

I know people who have bought the Jazz Bass you posted the link to, Ironhorse, and they have been very happy with it. I personally don't care for the looks of it, but that's a matter of taste, really.

If you do pull the trigger on the mail order bass, first thing you need to do after it arrives is take it to a shop and pay $30-$50 to have it set up. The tech who sets it up can tell you if there are any fatal problems with it, so you can return it ASAP if necessary.

Always remember that you are unique. Just like everyone else.

For those who are interested, this is the exact bass I had in mind. I love the natural color!

Amazon

Yes. Buy that one.

As someone said above, most entry level instruments these days are at least functional, and if you buy from a reputable dealer you shouldn't have to worry. This Squier I know is very nice for the money. Go for it.

And welcome!

(trucker, driving coast to coast - run 3 weeks, home 1)

So you clearly need an instrument that travels well. Something like this one: http://www.musiciansfriend.com/bass/steinberger-spirit-xt-2-standard-bass-guitar or the Steinberger Synapse. That, and a headphone amp thing that you can plug your mp3 player into. I own the Cort five string version; it is wonderful. Others exist, and again, it's more important that you get one. Any one. I travel for work also. So, I know.

There's one thing I've learned over all these years about buying an instrument: If you can only afford ONE that will have to satisfy you for awhile - Figure your budget and buy the absolute BEST that you can afford. You will almost always recover most (or all) of your investment if you later choose to "upgrade" . . .

That said, I have the Squire VM 70's J that you linked to, and I'm quite happy with it. Add a RoadRunner Polyfoam case for about $70 and it will travel quite nicely in the sleeper bunk when you're on the road (my day job: I drive NE regional).

I do a lot of business with Amazon, but I would probably make an online instrument purchase with a company like Musicians Friend because of their very liberal return policy if there's something about the bass that you're not entirely pleased with.

TimberWolf

Archived