Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Ipad Alternative's?

Dukenukeem

Noob here, just a quick thanks to all the good stuff posted very informative! So, it seems most players who use a computer or tablet along with their keyboards are using a Ipad or Mac, I was wondering are there as good of alternatives in windows based or say the new nexus 7 tablet(android app I guess) or is the Apple choices just that much further ahead in the game?

Also, if you could list some of the sofwares your using that would be cool. Not looking for pros or cons just curious what's out there.

Thx, Duke

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A problem with Android for real-time work is latency. For example, this is a cool app...

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=audio.bristol.minimoog&hl=en

but the author says, "however the lowest possible latency for pretty much all Android devices is currently 42ms, on my HTC Desire it is 70ms."

I think MIDI timing is also an issue, without an equivalent to CoreMIDI.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

Music on an Android device sucks...

Not a single good score editor, audio latency up to the sky, no driver to support midi. You can find a lot of shitty little piano or synth to play "happy birthday", but not a single good stuff.

(Dare I mention that I am writing this from an android tablet ?)

I've dabbled in Android development, so can provide some inside information. For several years now, many of us have been petitioning Google for MIDI support on Android. No dice, though. Google just didn't consider it important enough, and while there are some recent developments, it's too little, too late. Yes, there will always be a handful of "cool" apps that you can noodle around with, but overall, it's simply not a viable platform for professional audio. That's something that we Android fans need to simply accept and move on... :(.

When it comes to tablets and pro-audio, Windows currently offers several excellent solutions: click here for a recent discussion.

Besides having a vastly larger and mostly superior pool of VIs to choose from, the architecture is simply a much more scalable, adaptable and professional solution than an iPad: click here. Basically, with a Windows tablet, you get a single, integrated 'host' for all your virtual instruments, which allows a far more professional control, flexibility and integration into your rig.

Personal note: Windoze actually is my least favourite platform, and I have equal amounts of love/admiration for iOS and Android. But when it comes to pro audio and tablets, this is how things are at the moment. Perhaps it has less to do with design and more to do with sheer history. Just the way the cookie crumbles, I guess... :P

- Guru

This is really what MIDI was originally about encouraging cooperation between companies that make the world a more creative place." - Dave Smith

The HP Split x2 looks interesting. With options for an Intel I5 processor, up to 8GB memory, SSD or dual drives and the option to work as a notebook or a tablet it should run multiple VI's at once including samplers. My guess is the included Beats Audio is not going go be enough. The need for an external sound car is likely. This aggrovation could be reduced by using a keyboard that will work as the sound card.

This post edited for speling.

My Sweetwater Gear Exchange Page

It's been a little over a year since I bought my iPad3, and in that time it has worked trouble-free and provided more functionality than I ever expected. That is coming from a fulltime Windows technician in a demanding environment. In that environment i have seen tablets come and go that owners wound up loathing and technicians wound up trashing. Because the company I work for is heavily dependent on Windows applications, more Windows tablets are inevitable (and Android tablets are not an option) but personally i would take the stability and proven technology of a new iPad over any other tablet option.

Archived