Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

J.J. Cale passes

B3bluesman59

JJ Cale died yesterday at age 74 of a heart attack in an LA hospital. JJ was a great songwriter and artist. Although a guitar player himself he always had plenty of keys on his recordings including lots of very tasty electric piano backing. RIP JJ Cale.

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

One of the greatest blues/rock songwriters.

And yeah, lots of tasty, funky keyboards on so many of his tracks. I don't even know who those cats where, but whoever they were, they influenced me heavily.

Gigging: Crumar Mojo 61, Hammond SKPro

Home: Vintage Vibe 64

Younger than I thought -- the obit I saw last night was BBC and terse, missing important details. I was too tired to investigate further. Namely, I wanted to check a more thorough list of songs that other people made famous.

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager

It's surprising how many hits he had for other people

JJ did not even know that Eric Clapton had recorded After Midnight until he heard it on the radio. Eric also made JJ's Cocaine a huge album hit. JJ told an interviewer that "If it wasn't for Eric Clapton I would still be living in Tulsa selling shoes".

One of my favorite Cale works is his collaboration with Brian Eno, called "Wrong Way Up." Outstanding, off-center songs and fresh production abound. I'm sorry he's gone, but I'm sure glad he was here.

"I like that rapper with the bullet in his nose!"
 "Yeah, Bulletnose! One sneeze and the whole place goes up!"
       ~ "King of the Hill"

One of my favorite Cale works is his collaboration with Brian Eno, called "Wrong Way Up." Outstanding, off-center songs and fresh production abound. I'm sorry he's gone, but I'm sure glad he was here.

Umm, I think that you got JJ Cale mixed up with John Cale.

And yeah, lots of tasty, funky keyboards on so many of his tracks. I don't even know who those cats where, but whoever they were, they influenced me heavily.

For starters how about Leon Russell............?

Jeremy posted a good list of JJ Cale songs made famous by other artists, over in the Bass forum.

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager

For starters how about Leon Russell............?

I probably know that at some point. It's been at least 10 years since I looked at liner notes for one of his albums. I can barely remember what I did yesterday . . .

Gigging: Crumar Mojo 61, Hammond SKPro

Home: Vintage Vibe 64

Umm, I think that you got JJ Cale mixed up with John Cale.

You are right. I was temporarily on cough syrup. Thanks for the correction! :crazy: I'm still glad of his work. Its says a lot when you can change hats and stand toe-to-toe with the greats to that extent. Musicians like Cale make you a better one, just from hearing them.

"I like that rapper with the bullet in his nose!"
 "Yeah, Bulletnose! One sneeze and the whole place goes up!"
       ~ "King of the Hill"

yes - RIP JJ - loved his mid-late 70s albums, so chill...

here is the post from the bass forum...

JJ Cale, also known as J.J. Cale, (born John Weldon Cale;[1] December 5, 1938 July 26, 2013) was a Grammy Award-winning American singer-songwriter and musician. Cale was one of the originators of the Tulsa Sound, a loose genre drawing on blues, rockabilly, country, and jazz influences. Cale's personal style has often been described as "laid back".

His songs have been performed by a number of other musicians including "After Midnight" and "Cocaine" by Eric Clapton,"Cajun Moon" by Randy Crawford, "Clyde" and "Louisiana Women" by Waylon Jennings, "Magnolia" by Jai, "Bringing It Back" by Kansas, "Call Me the Breeze" and "I Got the Same Old Blues" by Lynyrd Skynyrd, "I'd Like to Love You, Baby" by Tom Petty, "Travelin' Light" and "Ride Me High" by Widespread Panic, "Tijuana" by Harry Manx, "Sensitive Kind" by Carlos Santana, "Cajun Moon" by Herbie Mann with Cissy Houston, and "Same Old Blues" by Captain Beefheart.

and a lovely clip of JJ doing after midnight from Leon Russel's studio with Leon on b3... taken from J.J. Cale In Session at Paradise Studios 1979 which is on youtube in it's entirety - some great playing and comments from JJ...

[video:youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2IZ9feKpJkk

and while I'm at it, had to throw in this clip of Clapton live from One More Car, One More Rider doing Cocaine with one of my all time favorite b3 leads by Billy Preston:

[video:youtube]

gig: hammond sk-1 73, neo vent, nord stage 2 76, ancona 34 accordion, cps space station v3

home: steinway m, 1950 hammond c2

Archived