Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

o.t. We just lost J.J. Cale

jeremy c

JJ Cale, also known as J.J. Cale, (born John Weldon Cale;[1] December 5, 1938 July 26, 2013) was a Grammy Award-winning American singer-songwriter and musician. Cale was one of the originators of the Tulsa Sound, a loose genre drawing on blues, rockabilly, country, and jazz influences. Cale's personal style has often been described as "laid back".

His songs have been performed by a number of other musicians including "After Midnight" and "Cocaine" by Eric Clapton,"Cajun Moon" by Randy Crawford, "Clyde" and "Louisiana Women" by Waylon Jennings, "Magnolia" by Jai, "Bringing It Back" by Kansas, "Call Me the Breeze" and "I Got the Same Old Blues" by Lynyrd Skynyrd, "I'd Like to Love You, Baby" by Tom Petty, "Travelin' Light" and "Ride Me High" by Widespread Panic, "Tijuana" by Harry Manx, "Sensitive Kind" by Carlos Santana, "Cajun Moon" by Herbie Mann with Cissy Houston, and "Same Old Blues" by Captain Beefheart.

[video:youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2IZ9feKpJkk

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You know what I hate most about this? All over the net, messages appear saying it's a hoax and he's still alive. They recently declared Jackie Chan dead, too. Both of a heart attack and fatal accident while performing a stunt. Turns out he's still alive (I think).

This one seems to be legit, though. A great artist passed away. Sad stuff!

"I'm a work in progress." Micky Barnes

The Ross Brown Shirt World Tour

Eric Clapton was so taken by "After Midnight" that he did it three times in the studio, three radically different ways. The first two are represented by the alternate versions of his first solo album, and the third was the Crossroads boxed set, which is my favourite and I think how he tends to do it live.

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager

I love Cale's original arrangement of After Midnight--it seems so much more on target with its boozy, laid-back drone, as compared to Clapton's hyper rave up (which my band used to play but finally dropped because we felt the song was so dull). Cale's version has a really neat ascending bass line that is fun to play, too.

RIP.

"Everyone wants to change the world, but no one thinks of changing themselves." Leo Tolstoy

Ah, then Clapton's re-think on Crossroads must be close to the original. I'll try to hunt JJ's version down when I have a chance. Most people are more familiar with Clapton's earlier Gospel take with Bonnie and Delaney. I like the acoustic guitar fingerpicking counterpoint of the stripped-down version on Crossroads.

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager

Archived