Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Line 6 Stage Source L2t

Dave Bryce

Based on a recommendation from Dr. Fortner, I've picked one of these up to check it out. Actually, I got two, but I'm going to go Kanker for a few gigs to see if I like the world of mono.... :D

Played with it for a while yesterday, and I have to say that I'm pretty impressed by it's sound and power handling so far. Lotta controls and options (including some useful DSP tools), but nothing that doesn't make sense once you consider all the possible applications.

Gonna gig with it tonight, and let our singer put his acoustic guitar through the other one. :cool:

Anybody else tried either this one or it's big brother (L3t) yet?

dB

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Boy, was Steve Fortner right.

I am simply amazed by this thing. I could hear in my studio that it had excellent clarity and detail (which it certainly retained live), but had reservations about it's ability to put out good stage volume and bass. It not only met my expectations - it exceeded them considerably....to the point that the bass player had to ask me to turn the bass response down, and he's on the other side of the stage from me! From a power handling POV, the thing didn't even break a sweat - no distortion at all.

Almost everybody in the band (and several of our regular attendees in the audience) commented that they were hearing my parts with much more definition and clarity than with my previous sound system (Motion Sound KP200S), and I'm inclined to agree with them.

In addition to high and low shelving filters (Lo fixed at 80 Hz, Hi at 12k), the EQ section also has a very useful sweepable mid band (100Hz to 8k, bandwidth fixed at 0.7) that was key in dialing in the PC3 on one channel and the Kronos on the other.

I did add a touch of the onboard ambient reverb - I admit it. I also liked it - I admit that too. :D

The icing on the cake is that this thing is smaller, lighter and easier to position than any monitoring system I've ever used. It has two kickstands that pop out and let it lean back, and it has six speaker modes, including KEYBOARDS and FLOOR MONITOR. I preferred the FLOOR MONITOR setting.

...and, frankly, I didn't really miss the stereo that much. :cool:

The unit also has an XLR Mix Output that functions as a DI send - always appreciated. Every keyboard amp needs to have that....

Because of the huge range of tones, transients and dynamics involved, I believe that any PA speaker that can capably function as a good keyboard monitor can't help but be great at just about any live audio application. If you add the other tools Line 6 has included in these to allow for different scenarios, I can't imagine these not being a huge hit for them. I did not end up bringing the other one for the acoustic guitar, but the singer insisted I do so for our next gig.

On a related note, I have a Motion Sound KP-200S and matching subwoofer about to be available for sale if anyone is interested. LA area pickup preferred. :thu:

dB

In addition to high and low shelving filters (Lo fixed at 80 Hz, Hi at 12k), the EQ section also has a very useful sweepable mid band (100Hz to 8k, bandwidth fixed at 0.7) that was key in dialing in the PC3 on one channel and the Kronos on the other.
Just clarifying - you used Chs 1 and 2 on the side panel?
A ROMpler is just a polyphonic turntable.

Sounds like a very interesting piece. Between this and the Yamaha's that Alfredson is raving about, I'm thinking I need to go check out the latest in powered speakers. Thanks for the review dB!
A ROMpler is just a polyphonic turntable.

A question.. does the unit prove fan cooling for the amplifier section, or is it passive?

I had issues with my EV ZXA1 with amp module failures, I think due sto the passive cooling,never a moments problem with QSC K10 and the fan.

A certain "sugary H20" retailer has 24 month financing on Line 6, makes it interesting to pursue.

I just looked closer at some specs,, 50 pounds???

SpaceStation V3,

MoxF6,PX5S,Hammond-SK2,Artis7,Stage2-73,

KronosX-73,MS Pro145,Ventilator,OB DB1,Lester K

Toys: RIP died in the flood of 8/16 1930 Hammond AV, 1970s Leslie 145, 1974 Rhodes Stage

A question.. does the unit prove fan cooling for the amplifier section, or is it passive?

Yep. Digitally-controlled, variable-speed 50 mm fan.

The woofer has a Class D amp (650W). They went with Class AB amps (175W) for the HF driver. :cool:

No, 39. Maybe you're looking at the L3t? They're over 50....

dB

Interesting. Our band has the Soundstage mixer, and Line 6 has had to replace it already :P Awesome technology (can use ipads to control your own monitor mix, record the band etc) but only if it works!

For full blown PA, would a pair of these be complimented well to a pair of 18" subs for a medium sized room?

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

Sounds like a very interesting piece. Between this and the Yamaha's that Alfredson is raving about, I'm thinking I need to go check out the latest in powered speakers. Thanks for the review dB!
I'm going to file this product in the "I'm going to ignore this and be happy with what I have" category. I know, that's heresy around here.

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

How do these stack up against the QSC K10? I've got some GAS brewing here!

I got to use a pair of K10s for a while last year, and really liked them.

As far as I can tell, the two are pretty comparable, spec-wise. Hard to go wrong with either one, IMO. At the end of the day, monitoring is a highly subjective thing - there's not really a right or wrong...just what pleases your ear the most....and what fits in your vehicle/on the stage with you, of course... :D

dB

No, 39. Maybe you're looking at the L3t? They're over 50....

dB

I saw it on Amazons page

Product Dimensions: 17.2 x 17.2 x 28.9 inches ; 50 pounds

Shipping Weight: 66 pounds (View shipping rates and policies)

Shipping: This item is also available for shipping to select countries outside the U.S.

Shipping Advisory: This item must be shipped separately from other items in your order. Additional shipping charges will not apply.

ASIN: B00B19HUBQ

Item model number: StageSource L2t

I should have looked elsewhere :laugh:

SpaceStation V3,

MoxF6,PX5S,Hammond-SK2,Artis7,Stage2-73,

KronosX-73,MS Pro145,Ventilator,OB DB1,Lester K

Toys: RIP died in the flood of 8/16 1930 Hammond AV, 1970s Leslie 145, 1974 Rhodes Stage

A certain "sugary H20" retailer has 24 month financing on Line 6, makes it interesting to pursue.

I had been looking at that deal also, as I have been jonesing for one of these since SF reviewed it for the mag recently. This deal is over July 31st, however, and I can't pull the trigger yet. :(

:nopity:

• 3 weeks later...

Rehearsed for my duo Sunday at the guitar player's house and he brought home the L3T (from church) to rehearse through. He's running guitar direct through a Line6 HD500 pedalboard. I'm running my Kronos (with sequenced drums, etc), Steinberger Bass, Sax, and our 2 vocals.

For practice we didn't mic the sax, it's loud enough :)

I had been monitoring through my K10 at home. He was running his vocal through his pedalboard and submixing there, so we thought we could skip the mixer. The Line6 has some digital connection between the speaker and pedalboard (in addition to a few analog inputs), but we found it was flaking out with all the other channels plugged in as well (my bass channel was cycling in and out, and guitar wasn't working until he unplugged the digital commection). I think maybe it's an either/or thing between the digital and one of the analogs. So we opted to run everything through my little Yammy mixer and into the L3T.

First impression was that it sounded very clean and natural. I noticed most on my bass, of all things. I had gotten new strings, and playing through my K10, was struggling to get a good tone. On the low end, either it was not enough, or too boomy muddying everything up. On the high end, there was a click i attributed to the brightness of the new strings. I mean, no matter how i played, the string just touching the fret made a very noticeable tick. Not on the L3T. With no adjustment whatsoever, it sounded clean and natural with exactly the tone it should have - no boom, no tick...i had been tentative in my practicing as I hadn't played bass for a while and just thought my technique had suffered. But playing in rehearsal, I forgot all about all of that, dug in, and enjoyed grooving!

Across the board, everything sounded good - sequenced drums, vocals. We were in a small room playing pretty quietly, so my review only applies to tonal characteristics at low volume. He brought it home from church where they a couple of these and a few of the L2T's. I'm thinking a pair of the L2T's pole mounted on my 18" subs will make an excellent PA for some of the larger duo gigs.

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

JustDan, did you notice any appreciable differences between the L3 and L2 at the crossover points?

"I have constantly tried to deliver only products which withstand the closest scrutiny � products which prove themselves superior in every respect.�

Robert Bosch, 1919

If I understand the tech correctly, the L3 is just the same as the L2 with an additional woofer, with the second woofers only joining the first below 250 Hz, so the x-over from the full range woofer to the tweeter should be the same on both models. IIRC, it's a bit above 2k.

I used mine in stereo at a gig on Saturday night. With all due respect to brother Kanker, it was so noticeably better in stereo that I'm actually surprised. I quite liked the mono thing, but for my personal taste, stereo is just better.....and more inspiring. It's like being in the sound.....

I had them set up behind me in a 90 degree V, each going out at 45 degree angles, and man...it sounded great. Our drummer kept saying he'd never heard my keyboards sound better. Our guitar player already recommended them to the keyboard player in his other band. :thu:

dB

JustDan, did you notice any appreciable differences between the L3 and L2 at the crossover points?

I haven't personally heard the L2, only the L3, butif he brings one to practice i'll let you know. My understanding was as DB explained, which is why ithought the L2's would work fine with subs.

Dan

On another thread I started, I am searching for full range high end sound.. I got a QSC kw 153 and wondering if I should compare to this Line 6.

You don't have ideas, ideas have you

We see the world, not as it is, but as we are. "One mans food is another mans poison". I defend your right to speak hate. Tolerance to a point, not agreement

Rehearsed for my duo Sunday at the guitar player's house and he brought home the L3T (from church) to rehearse through. He's running guitar direct through a Line6 HD500 pedalboard. I'm running my Kronos (with sequenced drums, etc), Steinberger Bass, Sax, and our 2 vocals.

For practice we didn't mic the sax, it's loud enough :)

I had been monitoring through my K10 at home. He was running his vocal through his pedalboard and submixing there, so we thought we could skip the mixer. The Line6 has some digital connection between the speaker and pedalboard (in addition to a few analog inputs), but we found it was flaking out with all the other channels plugged in as well (my bass channel was cycling in and out, and guitar wasn't working until he unplugged the digital commection). I think maybe it's an either/or thing between the digital and one of the analogs. So we opted to run everything through my little Yammy mixer and into the L3T.

First impression was that it sounded very clean and natural. I noticed most on my bass, of all things. I had gotten new strings, and playing through my K10, was struggling to get a good tone. On the low end, either it was not enough, or too boomy muddying everything up. On the high end, there was a click i attributed to the brightness of the new strings. I mean, no matter how i played, the string just touching the fret made a very noticeable tick. Not on the L3T. With no adjustment whatsoever, it sounded clean and natural with exactly the tone it should have - no boom, no tick...i had been tentative in my practicing as I hadn't played bass for a while and just thought my technique had suffered. But playing in rehearsal, I forgot all about all of that, dug in, and enjoyed grooving!

Across the board, everything sounded good - sequenced drums, vocals. We were in a small room playing pretty quietly, so my review only applies to tonal characteristics at low volume. He brought it home from church where they a couple of these and a few of the L2T's. I'm thinking a pair of the L2T's pole mounted on my 18" subs will make an excellent PA for some of the larger duo gigs.

Dan if you would, which model Line 6 sounded so nice with your elec bass?

There are multiple cabs and I spent time watching line 6 videos and still came away confused about the cabinet line up.

Do you have a handle on them? WHich ones should I be considering for full range? Edit So you tried the Lt3? can you give more info? There is precious little on the net about these. A Guitar Center salesman I know knocked them! SO I stayed away go figure

We see the world, not as it is, but as we are. "One mans food is another mans poison". I defend your right to speak hate. Tolerance to a point, not agreement

On another thread I started, I am searching for full range high end sound.. I got a QSC kw 153 and wondering if I should compare to this Line 6.

If you already bought the QSC and you're happy with it, why not keep it?

As I mentioned earlier - hard to go wrong with either QSC or Line 6 (or Yamaha!) in this area. All make excellent offerings - just a matter of which one suits your individual taste/physical requirements.

dB

My buddy had the L3T. It was already set up and we ran everything through my mixer. I don't know any more than that. But it sounded good.

Dan

My buddy had the L3T. It was already set up and we ran everything through my mixer. I don't know any more than that. But it sounded good.

HOW good?

HOW good?

Across the board, everything sounded good - sequenced drums, vocals. We were in a small room playing pretty quietly, so my review only applies to tonal characteristics at low volume.

Dan

• 5 months later...
Just got my L2T yesterday. I would like to say I love this speaker - and I would, except for this rattle/buzz issue other folks have mentioned (in other forums). The buzz/rattle is apparently the fan, which produces a pretty significant rattle @ resonant frequencies. Anyone else notice this? It's very pronounced when playing Korg Kronos X patch I-A015 in the lower registers. And you don't even need to have the volume up very high to get the buzz going. Sweet H2O had a deal where I can send this back for any reason. I think I am gonna send it back... should I try another L2T (maybe a newer serial #?), or just bite the bullet and go with QSC K10? Are any of you having this buzz/rattle issue? Line6 support just told me - their engineering group says nothing can be done about this rattle. Not good, but maybe mine is just worse than the norm?

Archived