Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

ISRC codes... How, where, what else?

steadyb

Does anyone here have experience regarding ISRC codes and what other steps may be necessary to end up with a CD that will properly show up in iTunes (and other devices) where it correctly knows the artist and song names?

Once you've registered and created your ISRC codes, what are the additional steps needed to have those codes properly attached to your artist name and song titles? Where or with whom do you register this information?

Thanks,

B.

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Yes, but I think I need to take a closer look at the handbook. I must be overlooking something. I have created the codes following the guidelines and instructions, but it seems like those codes need to be registered with an ISRC database of some sort to connect the codes to the song titles. Just creating the codes and imbed them onto a CD with the corresponding songs still seems to be missing a step. A registration site. But I'll take another look at the guide.

I used CD Baby and they took care of all that for me. ymmv.

Hardware:
Yamaha
: MODX7 | Korg: Kronos 88, Wavestate | ASM: Hydrasynth Deluxe | Roland: Jupiter-Xm, Cloud Pro, TD-9K V-Drums | Alesis: StrikePad Pro|
Behringer: Crave, Poly D, XR-18, RX1602 | CPS: SpaceStation SSv2 | 
Controllers: ROLI RISE 49 | Arturia KeyLab Essentials 88, KeyLab 61, MiniLab | M-Audio KeyStation 88 & 49 | Akai EWI USB |
Novation LaunchPad Mini, |
Guitars & Such: Line 6 Variax, Helix LT, POD X3 Live, Martin Acoustic, DG Strat Copy, LP Sunburst Copy, Natural Tele Copy|
Squier Precision 5-String Bass | Mandolin | Banjo | Ukulele

Software:
Recording
: MacBook Pro | Mac Mini | Logic Pro X | Mainstage | Cubase Pro 12 | Ableton Live 11 | Monitors: M-Audio BX8 | Presonus Eris 3.5BT Monitors | Slate Digital VSX Headphones & ML-1 Mic | Behringer XR-18 & RX1602 Mixers | Beyerdynamics DT-770 & DT-240
Arturia: V-Collection 9 | Native Instruments: Komplete 1 Standard | Spectrasonics: Omnisphere 2, Keyscape, Trilian | Korg: Legacy Collection 4 | Roland: Cloud Pro | GForce: Most all of their plugins | u-he: Diva, Hive 2, Repro, Zebra Legacy | AAS: Most of their VSTs |
IK Multimedia: SampleTank 4 Max, Sonik Synth, MODO Drums & Bass | Cherry Audio: Most of their VSTs |

There are a couple databases in use. I'm not sure which one iTunes uses, but the open source one used by CDEX is freedb.org. I've ripped many CDs from local or obscure bands etc that were not in the database. CDEX gives you the option to create the track info and upload it, so in that sense freedb is at least partially crowdsourced.

We used the IRSC codes on our 11STEPS CD, and everything seems to have worked fine.. our CD is available through a lot of different sites.. iTunes, CD baby etc.. and we haven't seen any problems.. I think you can apply for the IRSC codes yourself (which we did, but it was 2 years ago and I forget what the process was) and then simply input the IRSC information into CD Baby as you set up the account.. or you can obtain them through CD baby..

We have had great luck with CD baby because they have taken care of passing all the into on to iTunes, napster and a number of other download/streaming sites.. it was no mess no fuss.. and worked very well for us.

Craig MacDonald

Hammond BV, Franken-B (A100 in a BV cabinet), Leslies 122/147/44W, Crumar Mojo, HX3 module, Korg Kronos, VR-09, Roland GAIA, Burn, Ventilator

Archived