Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

yamaha dxr10, qsc k10, or ev zlx12p

agitato

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply
"Best" is a slippery word, for the $$, pound for pound, I've been pleased with the EV over the QSC. I never used the Yamaha in question though.
Steinway L, Yamaha Motif XS-8, NE3 73, Casio PX-5S, iPad, EV ZLX 12-P ZZ(x2), bunch of PA stuff.

I have not used the QSC or EV, but do own the DXR 10 and am very pleased with how it sounds. I especially was surprised by the bass frequencies reproduced by the Yamaha. Also like the three input capability. My DXR 10 also suffered a fall on to hard tiled surface and has worked without issue.
Nord Stage 3 Compact, Korg Kronos 61, Casio PX-5S, Yamaha DXR 10 (2)), Neo Vent, Yamaha MG82cx mixer and too many stands to name.

There are loyal devotees of each model here on the forum.

Maybe someone here has actually A/B'd all three in person, but I would guess most have not - I think the K10 has been out the longest (the EV the shortest), and thus a lot of satisfied QSC owners would have no reason to continue looking. Combine that with the vagaries of what a local retailer has in stock, and I'd be interested to find anyone who's thoroughly demo'd all three side-by-side.

I demo'd the K8 vs. the DXR8 (that EV wasn't out at the time). I now gig two DXR8s. At least one forum member (was it Tony?) did the same A/B and preferred the QSC. So it's very much personal preference.

I too have found the multiple inputs (XLR mic or line, stereo 1/4", stereo RCA) and built-in mixer on the Yamaha very useful - and a life-saver on a few gigs. Bass capabilities are ridiculous across the line as well.

Bottom line, I think it would be a stretch to say you'd be displeased with any of these choices. Common wisdom - if you can, side-by-side them, take notes and make the choice based on your ears and preferences...and don't forget to report back your findings here. This question comes up constantly.

I do not own the QSC speakers but I have heard them many times as monitors or even mains. They are good. I think the DXR10 is better. More options, tighter more focused sound, and exceptional build quality (no rattling).
Can't say I've ever heard a rattle from my K10, and it gets a LOT of use. :idk
A ROMpler is just a polyphonic turntable.

I probably should go and try to listen to some of these (any of them). I've been using a "factory direct" el cheapo set (Podium Pro) after some folks on another forum liked them. 2 12" powered speakers for $320, they've at least not broken in almost 3 years! I think they sound ok, but I can't see how they are in the ballpark with some of these (some folks on that other forum compared them in quality to the Mackie srm450s). I know piano is what sounds the worst on them, not sure if it's clipping, distortion or what but the fast attack of the piano seems to give them trouble. I always suspected the risk with these kind of cheap speakers was lack of durability, but I'm wondering whether some nice speakers would change my world :)

(The wild card in this is that I'm considering in-ears, that's another story but it would stop me from spending $$ on nicer monitors)

Only thing is, short of buying one I'm not sure how I'd accurately A/B side by side. Take one into the store?

A general question: Does everyone tend to have a separate keys speaker/amp or do you use a PA monitor with your keys in it? I've been going with the first option but since I don't have much in my monitor (vocals mostly with a touch of guitar) I was thinking I could just lug the one. My powered monitors are used for either job so they'd sound the same.

Ultimately I'll be able to control my monitor feed levels from an iPad (just haven't sat down with the sound guy to do it yet, the mixer is a line6 soundscape that allows iPads to run it via wireless). Even without that it's typically a set-and-forget as far as volume. Just curious.

That's good. I've heard them rattle in FOH situations. Maybe they are being driven harder or maybe they have crappy cables. But I don't have as much experience with them as you.
Might be stuff that's run in DEEP mode and they've rattled screws loose. My EON G2 used to get rattly from time to time and I'd have to go around the screws on the outside of the enclosure, tightening them up.

I would not buy any 12 unless you can audition it first. 12 are often great for vocal but sometimes are voiced too muddy for keys in the 100-200 hz range. It depends on the particular cabinet.

My individual predjudice is to go with 15"s or drop down to 10s or 8s. I really like my 8s. That is just a generalized pedjudice based on past experiences.

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

A general question: Does everyone tend to have a separate keys speaker/amp or do you use a PA monitor with your keys in it?

I suspect you'll find folks are split on this one. Either way will work. Personally, I run my keys into my keys mixer and send the PA mixer a keys mix. I receive an AUX send from the PA mixer containing whatever I want/need in terms of vocals and/or other instruments. The incoming AUX send gets connected to an available channel on my keys mixer and amplified through my stage monitors (a pair of DSR112s). I prefer running this way so that I retain control over my keyboard stage monitoring - and not have to count on catching the attention of somebody else to tweak my mix.

The SpaceNorman :freak:

A general question: Does everyone tend to have a separate keys speaker/amp or do you use a PA monitor with your keys in it?

I suspect you'll find folks are split on this one. Either way will work. Personally, I run my keys into my keys mixer and send the PA mixer a keys mix. I receive an AUX send from the PA mixer containing whatever I want/need in terms of vocals and/or other instruments. The incoming AUX send gets connected to an available channel on my keys mixer and amplified through my stage monitors (a pair of DSR112s). I prefer running this way so that I retain control over my keyboard stage monitoring - and not have to count on catching the attention of somebody else to tweak my mix.

When I'm home, keys into my K10, no additional monitoring - generally stage volume covers all I need (or want) to hear, and since I don't sing, I don't have to worry about monitoring my voice. When I'm on the road, keys go direct to the house, back through the provided monitor, and I almost never have anything but me in the monitor for the same reason. If you set up tight enough on a big stage, even outdoors, monitoring takes care of itself. That said, I much prefer my home rig where I have complete control of my level and I don't have to worry about catching someone's attention like SpaceNorman said.

I have had all three. Quite simply, the DXR10 enjoys the fruits of the highest current evolution of this class of products. The build quality, tone, and DSP is superior to EV and QSC. They are that good.

To get better sound would require a big $$ leap.

Hammond C3, Leslie 122, Steinway B, Wurlitzer 200A, Rhodes 73,

D6 Clav

I think I'll try the monitor-from-FOH approach but have my other speaker on-hand. Once I have the ipad working to control the board I'll feel a bit more confident. Indeed I don't need the other instruments with the smaller stages we play, though one of the guitar players has a smallish miked amp and it would be nice to hear him a bit :)

I have no keys in my house monitor send. Vocals and some guitar that is it.

I monitor my keys through my EVs. If anyone else needs to hear Keys they ask for it in their sends. We request 6 sends .... we don't always get it. Sometimes we get 4 and the drummer and bass player share one.

I have a 2 DIs in my keyboard rack. One is for sending a Hammond to FOH if I use the sim. The other is for everything else (DP and synths). It seems to work best to seperate them. I play the Hammond concurrently with other keyboards. I have a led foot on the Hammond sometimes.

It is just the way I have always done it. It is probably a carry over from the Mic'd leslie running through a different channels than the rest of the keys. The sound guys have enough channels and most of them seem to like doing it that way.

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

Question for wdl. On the back panel of the dxr10, there is an xlr (not a combo jack, like the qsc and ev)input with a mic/line switch on channel 1 with a level control, and 2 quarter inch line inputs, also with a single level control on channel 2. Am planning on running 2 keyboards both of which have standard quarter inch unbalanced outputs, but would like to have a separate input level control for each board. The way the dxr panel is set up, it seems that i could only plug both boards into each quarter inch input of channel 2, thus giving me a single level control for both boards. How could i utilize channel 1 for one of the boards, thus getting the additional input level control?

No rattles from my K12..which Ive been using the crapola out of going on 3 years now. Still tight as a drum, sounds very good, n Ive literally beat the snot out of it.

Would be interested in trying the dxr 10. Tried the K10, thought it had a very narrow throw. Still, it sounded very good.

Is the yamaha that much better overall for piano/keys,than the qsc?

I've played through both - albeit at a GC. If I had neither I'd purchase the Yamaha. If I already had the QSC I wouldn't upgrade.

Is the yamaha that much better overall for piano/keys,than the qsc?

I'm not sure there's even consensus about Yamaha being better than QSC, much less how much better it is (which would be hard to quantify regardless). I personally prefer EV to either, but I haven't heard the particular EV you're asking about (and actually, in QSC, I heard the K8, not the K10). To my ears, QSC has a bit of a midrange peak, Yamaha has a bit of a midrange dip, and EV (ZXa1, at least) sounds most neutral. OTOH, you can't get the kind of volume out of the EV that you can out of the others. And I think the JBL PRX625 beats any of them, but it's big and it's pricey.

(If you decide on the DXR10, I do have one for sale, which I posted in the unclassified classifieds section here.)

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

Archived