Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Roland Jupiter 50 opinions please??!!

PeteD1701

I have had my JP50 for about 9 months but I don't do gigs these days just use it for messing about in my home studio. I part ex'd it for my Korg M3 since I do all my sequencing and sampling on my mac now, but sometimes I wish I'd coughed up the extra £1k for a JP80 just for the sake of it. IMHO good points: Sound quality, number and variety of sounds, key action, build quality, portability. Bad points: Oddball sound architecture, desperately needs a librarian, iPad app limited in what it can do, can't drive the percussion with the arps (so what use is it?) no easy control over arps, can't play midi files. Still, enjoy playing it and will be keeping it for a while. Great pianos, many organ presets and loads of tweakability though limited real time control. The keys are slightly small but the action and feel are excellent. Many of the synth presets are named after older Roland synths, so if you know what 'JP6 saw lead' sounds like this could be useful to you otherwise there are so many sound presets auditioning them can be a pain.
"Just a tad more attack on the filter, Grandad!"

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Btw, through a Vent' the JP-50 rocks. If it had drawbars and direct front panel controls for C/V, perussion, etc. it could be a competitive live, clonewheel engine - like that in the Kurzweil PC3.

I think the Ocean Beach drawbar unit work with the Jupiter 50. I see on their site that it at least works with the 80, and I think the drawbar codes for the 80 and 50 are the same.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

I'm not spending 2 grand if I can't edit my splits however I want. Screw that!!!

Can you provide an example of how you'd want to set up splits that the Jupiter 50 would not support? i.e. is it that you want more than 3 defined key regions?

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

sure buddy; one song called "Land of Confusion" I would like to have a polysynth pad type sound on the left side of the board and on the right side of the board a dirty, synth sound for the verses. From what I was reading about it, the sounds are limited in which patches can be assigned as "split" sounds. If I'm wrong on this please let me know.

thanks Scott

I'm not spending 2 grand if I can't edit my splits however I want. Screw that!!!

Each layer (of 4, each made of three 'partials') in a live set can have its own key range specified, in addition to the upper/lower split points which can be assigned anywhere you like. In Korg terms its like having the ability to split and/or layer a combi and two other programs together in what Roland calls a Registration.

There is a great deal of flexibility but the somewhat arcane architecture takes a bit of learning.

So you could have a single live set with two layers (two tones, 6 Partials) for each of the sounds you want split where you want, or you could have one 4-layer sound split with one or two other single-layer sounds. Or other similar arrangements as you choose to make.

3 partials make 1 tone, which is the smallest saveable component. Up to 4 tones can be layered as a live set, together with effects, which can also be saved. Finally a registration can consist of one live set layered and/or split with one or two other tones. That's more or less it :crazy:

sure buddy; one song called "Land of Confusion" I would like to have a polysynth pad type sound on the left side of the board and on the right side of the board a dirty, synth sound for the verses. From what I was reading about it, the sounds are limited in which patches can be assigned as "split" sounds. If I'm wrong on this please let me know.

thanks Scott

The simple 3-way split does have limits on what you can assign to the bottom and top regions (primarily in terms of effects, and in being single rather than potentially layered sounds), but as therealvicz pointed out, the middle region (which itself can be assigned to as much of the keyboard as you want) can be sub-split 4 ways (including being layered with the sounds you've selected for the bottom or top regions). So for your specific example, you might be able to do it with the basic 3-way split facility, but if not, the approach therealvicz described should do it for you.

The simple 3-way split can be pretty easily manipulated on the fly; the more complicated splits would need to be set up in advance. With Korg, you have even more split flexibility, but OTOH, you pretty much have to set them all up in advance, there's not really any quick on-the-fly split facility.

I think the main reasons to consider a Jupiter 50 over a Krome would be its sounds and its action... which, when you get down to it, are generally about the strongest reasons to pick any board over another. But if the Krome sounds and feels just fine to you, I'd say it's a more versatile board for less money. It has a a more complete rompler-style soundset, more flexible split/layer possibilities, better MIDI controller functionality, drums, sequencer... but as has been mentioned, the Jupiter has a very nice action (not a Krome strength, and it may be even a bigger issue if you're not going to have a weighted board to play piano from); and the SuperNatural acoustic sounds, VA synth, and pseudo-clonwheel functionality are also Jupiter advantages.

If you like the Krome but also the Roland sounds, in the future, budget permitting, you could add an Integra-7 module to pretty much get the Jupiter sounds from a Krome... but the action is the action.

When I got back into keyboards I really, really wanted to love the Jupiter-50. I went to the local (cough) music superstore (cough) after waiting 5 weeks for them to get it in after they said they would with the money for it burning a hole in my pocket. I sat down at it and...

20 minutes later I waked out, terribly disappointed. A $2000.00 keyboard without aftertouch? Really? Plastic endcaps on a Roland Jupiter? Convoluted sound architecture? Jesus! Mr. Kakehasi would be rolling over in his grave! (I know he's not dead, but this will kill him!)

It wasn't a Jupiter. I've since figured out that what they did was take the Roland Juno-Stage and simply update the panel graphics, slightly change the soundset, repackage it, and offer it as a Jupiter at a much higher price point. And to that end, if you want to save a over grand and get 90% of the Jupiter-50, get yourself a Juno-Stage. You can still find new ones for about 700-800, and you will not get nauseated and the crap Roland has put the Jupiter name on.

Remember, the Junos were the budget synth, and that's what you're getting. A Jupiter was the top-of-the-line synth in its day. That marketing weenies at Roland simply tried to capitalize on a name without giving it the requisite cojones as well.

..Joe

Setup: Korg Kronos 61, Roland XV-88, Korg Triton-Rack, Motif-Rack, Korg N1r, Alesis QSR, Roland M-GS64 Yamaha KX-88, KX76, Roland Super-JX, E-Mu Longboard 61, Kawai K1II, Kawai K4.

I probably slammed the Jupiter Hammond emulation a little too hard. I just don't understand why include a clone engine but not give it a proper C/V. Another one of those Roland "duh" moments. But there's only a few of those in this otherwise brilliant keyboard.

Gigging: Crumar Mojo 61, Hammond SKPro

Home: Vintage Vibe 64

That's interesting Joe becasue my other board IS a Juno Stage and I think it's actually pretty darn good for the 900 bucks I paid for it. Very happy with it. If the Jupiter is just an overpriced Juno then I'll pass. Thank you so much for the feedback on that.

What would you recommend for me in the under 1500.00 range? I pretty much use piano, grindy organ and synth pad/lead type stuff. Maybe some strings every once in a while. I'm thinking of maybe a Korg Krome.

thanks for time!!

Geat insight buddy, thanks for all that. So are you saying that the action on the Krome is better than the Roland?

Other way around.

what they did was take the Roland Juno-Stage and simply update the panel graphics, slightly change the soundset

Slightly change the soundset? I'm not sure there's even a single Juno Stage sound in the Jupiter 50. The Juno Stage sound set is 128 mb of what I think are basically old Fantom PCM sounds, circa 2004. The Jupiter 50 has, I think, none of those, but has the SuperNatural Acoustic sounds previously only available in the $3500 Jupiter 80, along with the clonewheel and the separate VA synth engine... none of which was in the Stage. I think pretty much all the Stage and 50 have in common is a similar housing. The sounds and the architecture are entirely different. I'd say it's not a high priced version of a Stage, it's an economy version of a Jupiter 80.

What would you recommend for me in the under 1500.00 range? I pretty much use piano, grindy organ and synth pad/lead type stuff. Maybe some strings every once in a while. I'm thinking of maybe a Korg Krome.

Do you need 73/76 keys? As I mentioned earlier, under $2k, that pretty much restricts you to the Jupiter 50, Korg Krome, and Kurzweil PC3LE7. If you can get by with 61 keys, more options open up to you.

As a long term Korg user I am not afflicted with the Jupiter name baggage that clearly upsets Joe and many of the blogerati that feel it is in some way relevant to the utility of the Jupiter 80 or 50. There are some similarities with the Juno Stage but the 50 has updated sounds including much more sophisticated supernatural instruments as well as the synth engine, and IMHO a much better key action. Maybe the 50 is more of a Juno 80 but frankly it makes no difference to me whatsoever what it's called. I suggest you evaluate it on its own merit, I don't think the Krome even comes close for build quality but it has Korgs great sequencer and easy to use touchscreen interface so you need to decide if these are things that are important to you.

frankly it makes no difference to me whatsoever what it's called. I suggest you evaluate it on its own merit,

This

FWIW, there are good used deals to be found on the JP50.

I agree with Scott. The Jupiter is way ahead of the Juno sound set.

Another option is to look at ROMplers that are one model back from current. A used Roland Fantom G7 or Yamaha Motif ES7 can be found for under $2000. You can get the 88 key versions for under $2000. Since the Kronos X came out I've even seen the Kronos 61 on ebay for under $2000. I would not buy a used Kronos hammer action because of the past problem.

This post edited for speling.

My Sweetwater Gear Exchange Page

Btw, through a Vent' the JP-50 rocks. If it had drawbars and direct front panel controls for C/V, perussion, etc. it could be a competitive live, clonewheel engine - like that in the Kurzweil PC3.

I think the Ocean Beach drawbar unit work with the Jupiter 50. I see on their site that it at least works with the 80, and I think the drawbar codes for the 80 and 50 are the same.

Yep, the drawbar sysex codes are identical between the JP50 and JP80, and the DB-1 will control the tonewheel engine of the JP80. But... the DB-1 still will not control the JP50's tonewheel engine. Must be some Roland, special-sauce in that JP80 that's a trade secret :)

OB Dave and I conferred on this, and I did several tests, but nada on the results. IIRC, there's one more, way beyond the rabbit hole test I could do; but I suspect there might be a padded cell waiting at the end of that. Roland tech support, good as they are, was also understandably baffled.

Meanwhile, I concur with the recent observations comparing the JP50 and Juno Stage. The Juno Stage, while a good keyboard for certain applications, bears very little resemblance to the JP50. The JP50 is a different animal than any of the recent Junos, or the new VK-09 for that matter. Way more advanced synth engine, SN pianos and ep's, etc.. Where it is similar to the VK-09 is in the modeled tonewheel engine. And now, based on the above, I wish the JP50 had those little draw-sliders...

'Someday, we'll look back on these days and laugh; likely a maniacal laugh from our padded cells, but a laugh nonetheless' - Mr. Boffo.

We need a barfing cat emoticon!

Like the VR09!

When you change a drawbar parameter on the Jupiter 50, it sends the same SYSEX message a Jupiter 80 sends. But unlike the 80, the Jupiter 50 does not respond to these SYSEX messages. Dunno why. For this reason, I don't think it's possible to remotely control the Jupiter 50s drawbars via MIDI.

When Allan Evett and I determined this, I removed all references to the Jupiter 50 from the OBD website. This was many months ago. So the official party line is that the DB-1 does not support JP-50. (Although you'll still see references to it in the configurator app - the next revision of the app will delete those references).

If anyone can figure out what the deal is with the JP-50, I'll buy you a beer,

thanks for your help buddy. I'm really torn right now as to what to get. My local stores don't stock much (except the Krome which I kind of like). I'm curious about that newer roland; i think its the new V series with the drawbars.

Like the VR09!

• 1 year later...

Funny.. I just bought a Jupiter 50 tonight.

Digging it so far but.. Where the f#ak is the Farfiza sound? Like Scott said.. A few holes. The onboard Rotary Sim is sh#t.. But.. Plugged into my vent.. The organs actually sound quite good! Still working my way through it...

Jay

www.soundcloud.com/high-diving-act

www.yournewneighbors.com

www.mclovinmusic.com

Nord Stage 3 Compact, Korg Krome EX, Novation Summit, Roland RD88 & Edge, Spectrasonic Keyscape

I'm not sure there's even a single Juno Stage sound in the Jupiter 50. The Juno Stage sound set is 128 mb of what I think are basically old Fantom PCM sounds, circa 2004. The Jupiter 50 has, I think, none of those, but has the SuperNatural Acoustic sounds previously only available in the $3500 Jupiter 80, along with the clonewheel and the separate VA synth engine... none of which was in the Stage.

Strictly speaking, the SuperNatural Synth engine is something like an updated version of the Fantom PCM synth. Only thing that the Fantom can't do is the PWM and the multiple filter types. And it's basically still PCM sample based.

Some Fantom PCM sounds have been included in the SuperNatural Synth presets. For example my JUNO-G has a bell-ish sound called "Chubby Lead" which I found in the FA-08 in the store, but among the SN-S sounds and not the PCM ones. But I'm just being pedantic here.

Life is subtractive.
Genres: Jazz, funk, pop, Christian worship, BebHop
Wishlist: 80s-ish (synth)pop, symph pop, prog rock, fusion, musical theatre
Gear: NS2 + JUNO-G. KingKORG. SP6 at church.

Archived