Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

A linux organ compared with a (dwnl.) PC3 organ experiment.

Theo Verelst

I promise I was working on a promised "more synth" thread, but doing so got me to try the latest Calf effects suite, in my case on Linux (maybe it's on windows too), which is very nice.

So I though what if I use some rack elements like organ, saturation, exciter, and Leslie, push them through my studio simulation effect chains (mainly (but not only) adding FFT-averaged, dynamic low-mid tube and mid frequency components), with in this case the purpose of preventing harmful sine-wave tones (when amplified loud) and touch of sound-type the past.

This is an example of the organ window (Running on Fedora 17/64):

http://www.theover.org/Keybdmg/calforgan1.png

For fun I took a halfway-to-a-blues-organ PC3 organ sound (this one: tgospeltv4nb2.pc3) and somewhere halfway this little tryout, I mixed that one in:

calforgtubav1.mp3 44.1kHz stereo 256 Kbit/s 3min07 mp3

In the example the later included (maybe you can hear the analog computer input switch on I didn't check) PC3 sound is duller.

I don't think this is direct competition with the sounds out there in the top instruments, but both sounds are an interesting variation, with quite different fancy parameters to call attention. It's a but of a style matter too, apart from the not very important little chord noodle I played.

T.

• 3 weeks later...

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

For whoever cares. Another free PC3 download of a hammond-ish organ, the latest one with "correction" effects:

pc3corre3.mp3 44.1 ste mp3 256 kbps 2.3 MB

tmonacotv5si.pc3 single sound plus (15 effects units large in total) 3 effects.

Free for non-commercial (sound programming) use. Why another download when after all the ROM has dozens of organs ? Well a hundred or so people seem to have interest every time, and they'll find the sound programming iteration I'm trying to conduct finds other types of sounds than the ROM and "new" artists and instruments of the brand. I like to think of it as an improvement to think about classical mixing (whatever that turns out to be!) and getting warm, non dangerous to the hearing sounds from the V.A.S.T. machine.

This organ I probably have different drawbar settings for in the demo file, but it's the same. The highest 2 drawbars also change "correction" effect settings, so this is an experimental sounds. Wheel should be about half open, and acts a slight expression pedal. No effects (eq/multicompr or external) were used at all, recorded straight from the analog outputs (I showed the courtesy of unplugging the TV cable from the TV box connected to the server machine I recorded/monitored this on, which saves some (but not all) 50/100Hz hum...

Enjoy and discuss if you want to, of course feel free to completely ignore if you want to keep your own types of sounds.

T.

Open source platform software will never, ever be able to even come close to what is the status quo, period. It always has been, and always will be, less than. You get what you pay for.

E.M. Skinner, Casavant, Schlicker, Hradetzky, Dobson, Schoenstein, Abbott & Sieker.

Builder of tracker action and electro-pneumatic organs, and a builder of the largest church pipe organ in the world.

Not too bad for open source.

I would really like to see a good organ emulation that can emulate the additional drawbars found on the Hammond H-100, X-77, X-66, and Wersi Organs. I love those additional harmonics, they are great for Bossa Nova stuff.

Yamaha CP-73, Hammond SK Pro 73, Yamaha MODX 7, Roland Fantom 06, Roland VK-8M, Yamaha FS1R

I would really like to see a good organ emulation that can emulate the additional drawbars found on the Hammond H-100, X-77, X-66, and Wersi Organs. I love those additional harmonics, they are great for Bossa Nova stuff.

I don't think Theo is emulating an organ rather experimenting with an effect chain. Found the experiment interesting; it sounds like the Leslie itself is moving in circles inside the room.

I don't think Theo is emulating an organ rather experimenting with an effect chain. Found the experiment interesting; it sounds like the Leslie itself is moving in circles inside the room.

I must have missed that in translation.(LOL) My original post about the H-100 emulation still applies. I would love to see such an emulation. I love those type of organ sounds.

Yamaha CP-73, Hammond SK Pro 73, Yamaha MODX 7, Roland Fantom 06, Roland VK-8M, Yamaha FS1R

I like the good organ sounds, especially when they're rich, warm, well defined, and have interesting chord-sounds, no doubt about that. I don't think most simulations are intricately enough connected with the tone wheels, mix amp, tube pre-amp long term averaging distortion products, complicated compression all over the signal path, and essential shirt term signal convolution properties that are extremely hard to make work right in a sampled clone wheel (which even when working at 192kHz sample frequency should have sample compensation components that only the Kurzweil in essence has (to my knowledge no other manufacturer, with the possible exception of DSI)). Probably in my experiments I encounter building blocks scattered all over the PC3 intrinsics, which do not connect up all properly yet at all, as they are used wrong all over the ROM, probably because of lack of understanding what they're for and a raving desire to make a "unique instrument".

I've worked in/with little medium and larger business, made money in the past as university paid as well as private paid, certainly I didn't see the inside of the bigger companies for the first time recently or not at all, and I don't understand why Open Source equates sh*tty, or without much value. I have various computer systems I managed for many years which have Windoze and Linux, and honestly, by far the majority of the time I chose (while I perfectly have the choice to do either) to run Free and Open Source Linux, which also runs a more than significant portion of the (well working) internet servers. ATT and Berkeley univ. started one of the main historic operating systems, where most others are directly (OSX) and indirectly (OS[1-11], Windows) based on, as for a big part a Open Source OS in the 70s, I recall recently HPand IBM even supports Linux, and there are many people making money with OS software, even if it were only to teach and adapt things???

T

Archived