Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Halion Sonic2

TKN

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Very interesting.

Hardware:
Yamaha
: MODX7 | Korg: Kronos 88, Wavestate | ASM: Hydrasynth Deluxe | Roland: Jupiter-Xm, Cloud Pro, TD-9K V-Drums | Alesis: StrikePad Pro|
Behringer: Crave, Poly D, XR-18, RX1602 | CPS: SpaceStation SSv2 | 
Controllers: ROLI RISE 49 | Arturia KeyLab Essentials 88, KeyLab 61, MiniLab | M-Audio KeyStation 88 & 49 | Akai EWI USB |
Novation LaunchPad Mini, |
Guitars & Such: Line 6 Variax, Helix LT, POD X3 Live, Martin Acoustic, DG Strat Copy, LP Sunburst Copy, Natural Tele Copy|
Squier Precision 5-String Bass | Mandolin | Banjo | Ukulele

Software:
Recording
: MacBook Pro | Mac Mini | Logic Pro X | Mainstage | Cubase Pro 12 | Ableton Live 11 | Monitors: M-Audio BX8 | Presonus Eris 3.5BT Monitors | Slate Digital VSX Headphones & ML-1 Mic | Behringer XR-18 & RX1602 Mixers | Beyerdynamics DT-770 & DT-240
Arturia: V-Collection 9 | Native Instruments: Komplete 1 Standard | Spectrasonics: Omnisphere 2, Keyscape, Trilian | Korg: Legacy Collection 4 | Roland: Cloud Pro | GForce: Most all of their plugins | u-he: Diva, Hive 2, Repro, Zebra Legacy | AAS: Most of their VSTs |
IK Multimedia: SampleTank 4 Max, Sonik Synth, MODO Drums & Bass | Cherry Audio: Most of their VSTs |

Yeah I just recently upgraded to Cubase 7 and was planning on getting the Absolute VST Collection (which includes HALion Sonic - full version, PadShop Pro - upgrade from PadShop, and a few other nice little temptations thrown in. I notice that they haven't changed this package (yet?) to include HALion Sonic 2. I was already planning on getting the upgrade to HALion 5 for $100 so I guess I'll get all the new content and instruments with that now. We'll see how it all plays out. Anybody tried The Grand 3? I'm wondering how it holds up against Ivory, TruePiano, or others.

Hardware:
Yamaha
: MODX7 | Korg: Kronos 88, Wavestate | ASM: Hydrasynth Deluxe | Roland: Jupiter-Xm, Cloud Pro, TD-9K V-Drums | Alesis: StrikePad Pro|
Controllers: ROLI RISE 49 | Arturia KeyLab Essentials 88, KeyLab 61, MiniLab | M-Audio KeyStation 88 & 49 | Akai EWI USB |
Guitars & Such: Line 6 Variax, Helix LT, POD X3 Live, Martin Acoustic, DG Strat Copy, LP Sunburst Copy, Natural Tele Copy|

Software:
Recording
: MacBook Pro | Mac Mini | Logic Pro X | Mainstage | Cubase Pro 12 | Ableton Live 11 | Monitors: M-Audio BX8 | Presonus Eris 3.5BT Monitors | Slate Digital VSX Headphones & ML-1 Mic | Behringer XR-18 & RX1602 Mixers | Beyerdynamics DT-770 & DT-240
Arturia: V-Collection 9 | Native Instruments: Komplete 1 Standard | Spectrasonics: Omnisphere 2, Keyscape, Trilian | Korg: Legacy Collection 4 | Roland: Cloud Pro | GForce: Most all of their plugins | u-he: Diva, Hive 2, Repro, Zebra Legacy | AAS: Most of their VSTs |
IK Multimedia: SampleTank 4 Max, Sonik Synth, MODO Drums & Bass | Cherry Audio: Most of their VSTs |

I just watched the videos. I don't know if I'll upgrade right away or not. I'm not hearing all that much I'm interested in, other than the Mellotron emulator. The Hammond emulator doesn't sound that great but then again the person they had playing it had no idea what to do with an organ.

I dug around there too and on the HALion 5 page you can find a comparison chart between HALion 5, HALion Sonic 2, and HALion Sonic SE (which comes with Cubase). It also seems that as C7 owners we can upgrade to HALion 5 for $100 which would give us all the sounds and instruments mentioned. If I'm reading it correctly, if I do the Absolute VST Collection here pretty soon, I should be able to upgrade to HALion Sonic 2 for free - again, if I'm reading it correctly. I really like the "workstation" environment you get with HS. In either case, I need to do something because the SE version doesn't work standalone so I can't use it with Cantabile. Both the others do though. It'll be interesting to watch. Steinberg keeps getting more and more of my money dangit!

Hardware:
Yamaha

Software:
Recording

I have The Grand 3 SE. I think it is a nice piano, which has a somewhat lighter character than, say, Alicia Keys. The way I see it, True Keys The Grand is somewhere in between, where The Grand 3 SE can be a bit light / thin.

I upgraded. For the curious, if you own both HALion Sonic and HALion 4, like I do, the HALion 5 upgrade also upgrades you to Sonic 2. Nice.

The look of Sonic 2 is much better. Didn't have too much time to mess around with either but the new synths seem promising.

Worth the upgrade cost, imo.

I got the upgrade, but the readme mentions sys reqs of OSX 10.7 and 10.8

My studio machine is still on 10.6.8 Does anybody here run the upgrade successfully on Snow Leopard?

[edit:]

since this is a HalionSonic2 thread, let me add I am talking about the combined H5/HS2 upgrade.

I've just recently got Cubase 7 which of course comes with HALion Sonic SE. I'm looking at upgrading to the Absolute VST Collection which includes the full version of HALion Sonic, PadShop Pro, and a few others thrown in for good measure. If I understand it correctly, I can upgrade that version of HALion Sonic 1 to v2 for free. If I'm not reading that correctly, someone please let me know. Beyond that I'd like to add The Grand 3 and possibly HALion 5 (since by that point it's only a $100 more). Also considering Neo-Soul Keys as well. I've got the new update to Lounge Lizard and I'm not sure I really need another Rhodes VST.

Hardware:
Yamaha

Software:
Recording

I qualified for the free upgrade and am now running Halion 5 and HalionSonic 2.

First impression is that they sound fresh and darn good, but H5 makes Cubase buckle quick.

Wonder whether I should bite the bullet and upgrade to C7, or get Logic Pro X.

Mac users, how much of an improvement is ASIO guard?

You're on Windows, right? I would have thought performance would be much better there.

I don't get hung notes, but ASIO load greatly increases with H5 and playing a few big chords with one of those new synth patches can cause audio dropouts. I hate that. I'd rather have the system deny service than friggin' crackles and pops.

I tried increasing the buffer size to 256 samples, but that doesn't help much either.

It's painful to see how Cubase 6 just huffs and puffs at 128 samples, where Mainstage 2 just breezes through imperturbably at 32.

I hope Cubase 7.5 will bring better LLP for OSX.

Archived