Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

My Tubescreamer died today. What to replace it with?

PBBPaul

Hi, Harvey,

The OD/DS effects in the GT-3 & GT-5 are built around an analog OD circuit, rather than digital modeling, part of why they're fun to work with. To the best of my knowledge, they weren't intended to model specific boxes, but offer different 'flavors' of OD. I tend to use Vintage OD or Distortion2, with a Clean Twin amp model. Fuzz was the least satisfying of the OD/DS sounds, IMHO, and I've never heard anyone get a particularly convincing Tube Screamer sound out of the GT-3/5, either.

The newer GT- and ME- series processors use COSM modeling for their OD effects, and most of their OD/DS effects are modeled after specific pedals.

BTW, have you retired your GT-3?

Agree, I never warmed to the higher gained ODs, they just seem to lose fatness and sounded like a chainsaw.

I think the cranked blues OD was my loud solo sound for a lot of covers gigs. That had heaps of gain for me...sometimes I'd put the boost in front for extra grind.

The GT3 hasn't been out for a while. It's in semi-retirement!

Guitar Speak Podcast

www.guitarspeakpodcast.libsyn.com

https://www.facebook.com/guitarspeakpodcast

www.itunes.apple.com/au/podcast/guitar-speak-podcast

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Based on the 808 but I liked the blend idea in both Sparkle Drives but this one has different types of drive.

[video:youtube]

My leading contender to be my new OD is this one or the Wampler Euphoria. But the Wampler is $200.

Holy Crap this thing works good ( at least in the garage through a 5 watt 1-12 combo) but I should not a review until I've taken it out for a month. I have 4 straight nights of gigs I should have a good handle on it by Sunday.

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

paul, send me the tubescreamer, and i'll fix it for you gratis. you pay the parts, if any and shipping.

let me know.

peace

That would be fantastic, Jimi, thank you! I'll PM you. I bought another one but would like to have the TS9 working as well.

So I settled on the Visual Sound Double Trouble - http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/DoubleTroub?utm_source=Google&utm_medium=PPC&utm_campaign=none&device=c&network=g&matchtype=&gclid=CM7UndqZjrgCFdBDMgodbDwA9A.

I just got back home and it was waiting for me but I haven't played it yet. I'll get to it this week and let you all know my thoughts.

Archived