Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

PT-Killer App Rumoured to be on the way

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Until I see it and try it, and until it is available for purchase, it's VAPORWARE. I wouldn't be surprised if Apple is indeed working on a next generation app... but so is everyone. The jury will remain out until we can all try them THEN, it it's better suited to my needs than PT, I'll consider the switch. Maybe. ;)

They can join the ever-growing list of people who claim to have a Pro Tools Killer. The list is located right next to the people who claimed to have the ADAT Killer.

Who cares about killing Pro Tools? I'd rather see a program that instead innovates in a completely different way.

I've heard a little something about this. They just call it a PT-killer and do not mean that it will actually kill PT.

Apple has suppossedly been working on this for at least a year, or more. It takes that long to start from scatch and write code that takes advantage of 64 bits and new operating system hooks. Apparenty, this is not a "port job" with all the inherent flaws brought forward as is true with most legacy products.

So Craig, since this a new product from beggining to end, you may see some leading edge features, things that have never been done before. Can Apple do that? We'll see.

Originally posted by Anderton:

I'd rather see a program that instead innovates in a completely different way.

Ugh-Reed: our [collective] attachment to the reel-to-reel multi-track tracking model is only holding us back. That model should be one tool we can rely on, not the overarching limit of technology. There's plenty of interactive MIDI processing software for algorithmic composing (e.g., Max) and Live at least pushes using loops beyond paste-paste-paste-paste... and into more of a performance sphere. Reaktor as a live tool could certainly qualify as pushing things a bit. But, I still think that true paradigm shifts in software (especially software that's easier to use than a C++ IDE) are still ahead of us. I'm looking forward to THAT - not a Pro Tools killer. I think the day of the completely passive listener paradigm will shift to where many composers of "recorded music" become composers of "interactive compositions" for active listeners. But, hey, that's just me.

I think Digi is aware of what Apple is doing, so I would expect that you will be able to continue to do just what you have been doing, or perhaps you may have some more choices.

Almost all apps developed internally are called the "(fill-in-the-blank) killer" so I would not be too concerned about that. If anything, having more choices increases competition and Digi may lower its prices some to remain competitive, or Digi may add more features and keep the price the same. But under any scenario, the end user benefits.

Arboretum's Montage struck me somewhat as that kind of product when I first saw it at Winter NAMM a couple of years ago, but it doesn't seem to have made a big splash in our community.

http://www.arboretum.com/picts/screenshot_montage_640x480.gif

Was it seen as more of a multimedia product? Was it too different? Was it too basic?

Best,

Geoff

My Blue Someday appears on Apple Music | Spotify | YouTube | Amazon

Originally posted by Coaster:

PTLE is a native daw.

PT is a suicide. PLE kills PT, then it remains alone and is killed by PRO native DAW

:) Features Are Not An Opinion. :)

(John Hope, 2003)

http://johnhope.blogspot.com/

Addresse:

UIPLPPICDSS

Ufficio Internazionale Per La Presa Per Il Culo Dei Sbruffoni Statunitensi

Att. Tua Sorella

Codice Mavapigliatelindomo

Pirla Chi Legge

No platform inherently kills any other.

For every platform, there is an engineer who makes that platform sing beautifully.

Or not.

It is, or it isn't.

Whatever you use to produce music, you still have to make it happen. Peeps are moved by your music, or they aren't.

As long as your art is culturally relevant, you may as well be using tin cans and waxed string.

As long as your art is irrelevant, you can have a $100,000 studio with a "PT-Killer" this and that, and you are still in the shit.

Priorities. Peeps looking for a "magic bullet" in all the wrong places.

What do you have to say? Something strong? Cool! Don't matter which camera you photograph something strong with - it still comes across strong.

No "PT-Killer" app will make your weak statement suddenly relevant.

Priorities.

Eric Vincent (ASCAP)

www.curvedominant.com

Originally posted by Curve Dominant:

For every platform, there is an engineer who makes that platform sing beautifully.

Or not.

It is, or it isn't.

Whatever you use to produce music, you still have to make it happen. Peeps are moved by your music, or they aren't.

As long as your art is culturally relevant, you may as well be using tin cans and waxed string.

As long as your art is irrelevant, you can have a $100,000 studio with a "PT-Killer" this and that, and you are still in the shit.

What do you have to say? Something strong? Cool! Don't matter which camera you photograph something strong with - it still comes across strong.

Priorities.

So what?

Why must discussion about equipment be accompanied by the obligatory "it's about the music, stupid" comment every time. Of course the material and talent you're working with are the most important thing. But that doesn't mean that discussions about equipment must be denigrated in comparison.

Newer better products kill older not-as-good products all the time, and it's fun to speculate about imminent products that may unseat a de facto industry standard.

That the caliber of the music trumps equiment choice is true but so what? This is an equipment discussion. You might as well say that since the sun will explode in around 5 billion years, it's silly for any of us to talk about any of this since doom awaits us all.

-ce e ttanylips

Originally posted by Brittanylips:

That the caliber of the music trumps equiment choice is true but so what?

I'd take it a step further and say that it is impossible to separate the "music" you hear from the instrument it is made on. Would In the Cage by Genesis sound the same if it were recorded with a ROMpler? Would Tony Banks have even been inspired to create his keyboard parts if he were playing a ROMpler? Why would Eric Clapton spend thousands on a guitar if he could pick up a $100 Carlo Robelli? Why would anyone buy a Steinway 9 foot grand piano when they could have bought a cheap upright? It's true for acousitc and "analog" instruments, but I think it's even more true for digital instruments because they are not even close to finished with their evolution yet.

The instrument is the means of expression. How exactly a musician interacts with a given instrument will affect the quality of the music - whether by better translating the musician's intentions, or avoiding unnecessary distraction, or even helping to guide the musicians down new paths.

Apple often comes up with something that changes the world. And it is fun to speculate on what they may be up to. Who knows, they may even be coming here looking for cool new ideas if you have any.

Personally, I'd like a much lower learning curve and the ability to get truly professional results faster and easier. It's easy for me to say this, but I imagine it will be hard for Apple to do. Or is it?

Or not.

It is, or it isn't.

Priorities.

Damn well said Eric. :)

Originally posted by Geoff Grace:

Arboretum's Montage struck me somewhat as that kind of product when I first saw it at Winter NAMM a couple of years ago, but it doesn't seem to have made a big splash in our community.

http://www.arboretum.com/picts/screenshot_montage_640x480.gif

Was it seen as more of a multimedia product? Was it too different? Was it too basic?

Best,

Geoff

I was excited about that one too Geoff, it looks great and seems really simple to use, though I haven't had a chance to try it, i've read everything about it. If I'm blessed with a powerbook in this lifetime It would be one of the first three apps I put on it.

I think people feel like things need to be complicated, like the complications are some sort of security blanket, I mean what would happen if all of these daws were a piece of cake to use and the hardest thing was just writing music, it would

be a wonderful but...strange world. :D

I still can't figure out why the whole world hasn't converted over to ableton Live, and Traction has the same problem, apps like these are

just to good to be true.

Or not.

It is, or it isn't.

Priorities.

This post is totally irrelevant. This thread is about the tools, not the engineer/artist.
If you live in the Washington Metro area, check out Slave Audio

I think most people are missing what Curve said. He's not merely pointing out the much tread upon "It's not the tools, it's the music", but taking a different stab on it. The LatestGreatestLastBestThingKiller really doesn't mean anything beyond what's done with it. How many people truly use even 50% of what their tools are capable of. The industry has been waiting for the supposed MPC-Killer for 16 years now, yet there are still people using the MPC60, as well as Ataris, M1s, ADATs, etc.

I'm all for seeing what this new app is. Though, thing is, I'm quite happy with PTLE, my MPC, and all of the other little hard and soft toys, being as they do everything I need them to do and more.

Oh, and if Logic is the be-all to end-all and infinitely "better" than PT or Nuendo, then why is Apple supposedly developing a competing product?

Peace

If at first you don't succeed, keep on sucking 'til you do suck seed!

posted by aliengroover:

I think most people are missing what Curve said. He's not merely pointing out the much tread upon "It's not the tools, it's the music", but taking a different stab on it. The LatestGreatestLastBestThingKiller really doesn't mean anything beyond what's done with it. How many people truly use even 50% of what their tools are capable of. The industry has been waiting for the supposed MPC-Killer for 16 years now, yet there are still people using the MPC60, as well as Ataris, M1s, ADATs, etc.

THANK YOU.

posted by Brittanylips:

Why must discussion about equipment be accompanied by the obligatory "it's about the music, stupid" comment every time. Of course the material and talent you're working with are the most important thing. But that doesn't mean that discussions about equipment must be denigrated in comparison.

Perhaps you can tell me exactly what the equipment it is we are discussing, BritLips. Then I can try it, and see for myself if I've been premature in dismissing its "app-killing" ability.

Newer better products kill older not-as-good products all the time, and it's fun to speculate about imminent products that may unseat a de facto industry standard.
Based upon my most current observations, I can only assume you're referring to Pro Tools unseating analog tape as the "de facto industry standard."

Eric Vincent (ASCAP)

www.curvedominant.com

posted by Faeflora:

quote:

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Or not.

It is, or it isn't.

Priorities.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

This post is totally irrelevant. This thread is about the tools, not the engineer/artist.

Faeflora,

If you're going to accuse someone of posting in irrelevence, perhaps you might set a superior example by posting something of relevence yourself.

For example, you could have mentioned something to the effect of whether or not this "killer-app" will have file format communicablitiy with other existing formats.

And if it does, how could it possibly "kill" those formats?

And if it does not, how could it possibly aspire to compete with existing dominant market formats? Especially if those formats are working perfectly well, with such a broad range of investment in them by the audio industry at large?

And, taking into consideration that those existing formats have not shown a pattern of stagnation in the R&D aspect recently. Remember: rumours of Digidesign's demise abounded just a year or so ago, and then PT HD hit the market, busting the market for PT wide open.

Then no sooner did the PT HD dust settle, and Digi released Accel.

Now there is the new Digi/PT control surface looming on the horizon.

Hey, I am ALL FOR technological progress. Hell, I was the one getting flamed from right and left on this forum a couple years back for advocating the cause of the digital revolution. Don't think I'll become a counter-revolutionary THAT easy.

I'll say it again: It is,or it isn't. Show me the muthafuckin' $$$.

How's THAT for "relevence"???

Eric Vincent (ASCAP)

www.curvedominant.com

Archived