Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Does your "significant other" like the same music as you?

OK, so I've been with my girlfriend for about 10 months now. Our music tastes couldn't be further apart. She listens mostly to the radio, but occasionally will pull out some show tunes. In the car, she tunes in the local pop/hip hop station and "sings" along with Clay Aiken and Nelly. And she's so freakin' into it! She actually enjoys this heartless crap. It drives me nuts!

I guess it's not too big of a deal, I just thought I'd be able to ween her off of it.

Everybody knows rock attained perfection in 1974. It's a scientific fact. - Homer Simpson

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

To answer the title of this thread. NO.

While I like to listen to all kinds of music from classical to country to rock I mainly listen to rock. My girlfriend is a huge country fan. I feel comfortable going to country concerts with her but I could never see her going to rock concerts with me.

When we are together we take turns as to what we listen to. She puts up with my taste in music and I put up with hers. Sometimes we agree on the music we listen to also.

Nah, she can kind of abide the music that I listen to & claims to like the original music & collaborations. (I think she's lying :D )

With my main tastes being Americana, I listen to all kinds of stuff from old time western (cowboy), bluegrass, folk, country, blues, real rock, rockabilly & a whole slew of other music. I'm not really into rap, hip hop & such but will listen if something piques my interest. That doesn't happpen too often.

Wifey listens to (new) country, hip hip, easy listening & show tunes. I can't tell you how many times I've heard "Chicago"... She sings along with every tune and dances too.

In the home it's whom ever has the player on. It's usually me. Driving, our compromise is simple. Who's driving makes the decision.

Our Joint

"When you come slam bang up against trouble, it never looks half as bad if you face up to it." The Duke...

Not really, but not too much of a problem. She likes "wallpaper muzak" in the morning, the local "Magic FM" or what have you, the Celine Collins meets Elton Houston schlep. Then, on the other side, she likes hair bands of the 80s. There is a bit of a cross in some classic rock bands we both like.

I kinda wander off into my own territory. I like everything from blues to jazz, to prog, to alt country and western swing...and everything in between. To me, genres aren't important. If it's a good song, I like it.

"Cisco Kid, was a friend of mine"

Originally posted by Jedro:

Does your "significant other" like the same music as you?

NO!!!She's a classical pianist and teacher and frowns on everything else,well...not everything, but almost.Even though I started out playing flamenco when I was 9 I quickly veered off course.I guess Jimmy Hendrix,Jeff Beck and Frank Zappa distracted me followed by a zillion others and still going strong.Every once in a while I get a new Piano sample that I think is pretty hot,so I call her over to see what she thinks "this time",well......If I could describe the sour look on her face as she forces herself to try it......need I say more? :D
"A Robot Playing Trumpet Blows"

NO

She's not even a "fan" of my band.

However that's way better so we can keep apart the music in our relationship. I can learn from her, she learns from me.

She agrees with my lifestyle which is the most important thing in life.

Músico, Productor, Ingeniero, Tecnólogo

Senior Product Manager, América Latina y Caribe - PreSonus

at Fender Musical Instruments Company

Instagram: guslozada

Facebook: Lozada - Música y Tecnología

www.guslozada.com

I need to close the door or use headphones when I listen to Zappa, Weird Al, The Yellowjackets, Tribal Tech, or some other more 'experimental' type stuff. Sometimes, even the stuff she likes gets on her nerves for some reason (I'm still trying to get to the bottom of this).

Usually, though, I listen to the same artists for what seems like months on end. I'm dull that way. Fortunately, it's generally stuff she enjoys.

About the only stuff of hers that bugs me is the Italian pop music and Billie Holliday. I know you're supposed to like Billie and it's blasphemous to not enjoy her, but her voice has a certainly frequency bump that just aggravates the shit out of me. :freak:

I've upped my standards; now, up yours.

Originally posted by offramp:

About the only stuff of hers that bugs me is the Italian pop music and Billie Holliday. I know you're supposed to like Billie and it's blasphemous to not enjoy her, but her voice has a certainly frequency bump that just aggravates the shit out of me. :freak:

I wouldn't say that it is blasphemous. I am the same way with Bob Dylan. I love most of the songs that he writes but I can't stand him singing them.

I'm quite lucky. We both like the same music (the Clash, Frank Zappa, buzzcocks,and more), same films, and we both like playing videogames.

Some of the music she doesn't like, that I do, The Jackson Five,The Sweet, some old sould stuff.

IMDB Credit list

President George Washington: "The government of the United States is in no sense founded on the Christian Religion."

President Abraham Lincoln: "The Bible is not my book, nor Christianity my religion."

Originally posted by Lee Flier:

Well there's this guy who'd like to go out with me but he's really into King Crimson, so I said no way, this is never going to work. :D

You're holding out for that special guy that you can curl up to while playing "2112", aren't you? ;)

My girlfriend and I have somewhat different tastes in music, but there's a HUGE overlap. We both like AC/DC, Led Zeppelin, Indian music, Bollywood soundtracks, African field recordings, some electronica, North African music, and a bunch of other stuff. Where it diverges is that she will listen to '80s metal far more than I would, and I listen to experimental music, '50s field recordings, psychedelic, dub, and other unexplainable stuff much more than she would.

OTOH, we have an almost identical aesthetic for art, architecture, design, and associated things of that nature.

I like the subset of this question, which was:

"Does your 'significant other' like the music you write?"

This is funny. It's usually a resounding no.

My friend's wife will come in to the music room to say hello and my friend is excited about the project and will say "Honey, listen to this." As soon as he hits play she'll look out the window and go "Hey, look at what the neighbors are doing." It's comical, but not really.

I too, have stopped sharing with my girlie. It bothers me, I guess, because I naturally write a similar style to what she listens to and I think some of the stuff I write is very good, however, if she knows it's me, that's the end of it. She rolls her eyes and goes "Great, more of your weird stuff."

All I have to say is, what's going on here? Does anyone have a hopeful story to tell here?

John

-----------

John\'s Songs

My girlfriend likes some of the stuff I like, but she also likes a lot of stuff I really don't like. In fact, a fair amount of our mutual likes are bands and/or styles I introduced her to. But she's never going to be air guitaring to early Metallica with me!

"And then you have these thoughts in the back of your mind like 'Why am I doing this? Or is this a figment of my imagination?'"

http://www.veracohr.com

Most of my SO's have liked a lot of the same music I do, that's a common point of interest, and something that draws people together regardless of any sexual relationship.

They've also thought I'm a human jukebox. Hey, why can't you play that song? You know why? Because I don't want to.

You can't let them get the upper hand, or you're doomed.

Well I'm lucky because I'm somewhat old. My-maybe-still significant other listens to classical music primarily with a huge penchant for organ fugues.

So when I'm slopping up guitar tracks I get some very unexpected encouragement from a somewhat unpoetic soul.

ADVICE: never right lyrics with your back to your significant other. ;)

hummm... one year ago -almost exactly BTW- I wrote the very first song ever written specifically for a woman. Of course, I am taking about my current "significant other".

Fortunately enough, she loved the song and today it's being played at least three or four times a day in the radio being a local hit :)

I guess she likes to be driving or just listening the radio at home and suddenly listen how much do I love her...

www.guslozada.com

Originally posted by TheWewus:

You lying son of a bitch, you really expect me to believe that? :D

Yes, it's true. You can believe me... or not ;)

So how do you get airplay in Mexico? Bribes, like here?

I got the airplay because one of the big heads of a local radio station happened to be in a concert of my band, so he actually asked me for material. After that, a couple of local stations are supporting me.

What is "bribes" ?

Hey Gus when are you coming to LA? I can't get any of these people to do anything.

I'll be arriving to LAX on January 14th, then attending NAMM from Jan 15th to 18th and coming back to Mexico on Jan 21st.

www.guslozada.com

I'll be at NAMM too, working for Young Chang. Ha! see you there compadre. I really do like your music Gus, but I think you need some extra guitar work in there.

In the live shows I have TWO guitar players... maybe that will do the trick ;)

www.guslozada.com

Well, I really shouldn't speak for my wife, so I'll let her speak for herself:

And now over to Sharon:

"[i like]Some of [the same music as my incredibly good-looking husband who is right all the time], but my favorite music is alternative and new age. The only music he likes that really does nothing for me is prog rock. Musically we get along just fine and our kids seem to like a wide varity of music also."-only slightly edited... ;)

The genres she mentioned cover a lot of different stuff.

When she says "New Age", read "Echoes/Hearts of Space" kind of stuff.

When she says "Alternative", I think she means 'Nu Metal'. She's really into that right now. There may be more, but that's what I think she mean't.

The role music plays in her life is different from mine. I'm a musician. She doesn't play, nor does she have a desire to. So she likes music in a different way than I do.

Super 8

Hear my stuff here

Hey - I thought I was gonna poke my head in here and hear a bunch of gushy 'yes we like everything that the other likes...ahhh' :D

Seems not to be the case for the most part, so as far as my wife and I:

'yes we like everything that the other likes...ahhh' hard to believe, eh ?

We've played in bands together and have written together so maybe not such a stretch afterall.

ahhh :love:

kylen

When I met my wife I had a history of listening to The Beatles, King Crimson, ELP, Led Zepplin, Black Sabbath, Lenny White, Kraftwerk, Devo, Deodato, Ginger Baker, Return to Forever. At the time I met her (1983) I was mostly into Top 40 stuff but I was playing Country music which I liked VERY LITTLE. Even though I could tolerate playing country music, my wife HATED IT. The only music taste that we had in common was that we both liked the Beatles. While I was listening to OZZY and Keith Emerson, she was listening to AIR SUPPLY, Christopher Cross and Bryan Adams.

Generally, I'm more rythmic while she is more melodic. That is why this last CD project is taking me so long. She doesn't seem to want to help me with the vocals on ANY of these new songs. On the first CD I was able to get her to sing on a few.

Dan

http://teachmedrums.com

Originally posted by Jedro:

OK, so I've been with my girlfriend for about 10 months now. Our music tastes couldn't be further apart. She listens mostly to the radio, but occasionally will pull out some show tunes. In the car, she tunes in the local pop/hip hop station and "sings" along with Clay Aiken and Nelly. And she's so freakin' into it! She actually enjoys this heartless crap. It drives me nuts!

I guess it's not too big of a deal, I just thought I'd be able to ween her off of it.

Shit! At least you get Nelly. I don't CARE for him myself, but it sure would be refreshing from the "easy listening" crap my wife gets into. Yeah, she likes Clay. Post-rock Rod Stewart, Celine Dion, that kind of gook. But, she also likes putting on the "oldies" station, and that's not too bad. And I got her to listen and enjoy quite a bit of classical. But for the most part, we're across the spectrum from one another...

Whitefang

I started out with NOTHING...and I still have most of it left!

Archived