Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Carpal Tunnel

EddiePlaysBass

Looks like I will be joining the carpal tunnel club, guys :( I've been having wrist pains lately, and a swollen hand. Finally took it upon me to see the doctor and she said, based on what I told her, that it sounds a great deal like carpal tunnel. I have an appointment for a test, two weeks from now. I guess I will know more at that point.

So if it really is CTS, what can I expect?

I have it in my right hand, so would it still be okay to practice using only my left hand? I would become ever so proficient at left-hand tapping, I guess :grin: And how about sports? Total no-no or just weight lifting? I know I should have asked the doctor but I know at least a handful (no pun intended) of you have suffered from it ...

"I'm a work in progress." Micky Barnes

The Ross Brown Shirt World Tour

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

hey Phil,

I did just that! I have rehearsal tomorrow. Undecided if I want to break it to them just yet ... Got me an orthopedic brace so I can wear it during nocturnal intervals.

This is just Life's way of checking whether I am up to the task of becoming a better player: I will conquer this, Phil! It is meant to be!!

I wondered about meeting Nick and the implications on my wrist. I now know it is a matter of seeing me through the bad times...

You need to take it easy David and think positive...

Get the best medical advice.

Get the actual test fro Carpal Tunnel where they attach electrodes and check conductivity.

Take it real easy.

Take a break from playing.

Do all the physio daily.

Go swimming.

Adapt your technique to avoid pressure on the wrists and extreme wrist angles

Best wishes to you David! There's lots of good information out there for you to consider.

I had something similar happen. My Ulnar nerve ("Funny Bone" nerve) had gotten pinched between two bones in my elbow. It controls the nerves in your Ring, Pinky and Thumb. The nerve fails to stimulate the muscles, which atrophy. I let it go for a while - too long. My neurologist said that he'd seen cases where the affected hand was completely mis-shapened (frozen/claw shaped) and permanently useless.

Bottom line: early diagnosis = better results.

Good Luck!

Jim

Confirmed RoscoeHead

Sorry, I can't help.

This is the only kind of carpool tunnel that I have to deal with:

http://media.al.com/live/photo/11360943-large.jpg

hahahahahahahahaha..... thanks for that!

:laugh:

"When I take a stroll down Jackass Lane it is usually to see someone that is already there" Mrs. Brown

had wrist pain that lasted me for 5 months. Never got a clear diagnosis. I self-diagnosed as ulnar tunnel, my ortho guy gave me a shot of cortisone to deal with what he believed was inflammation (but potentially something much worse, like nerve damage etc)

The pain was worse after the shot and it returned to what it was just before the shot about a week later.

two weeks after that, my wrist feels close to normal.

In trying to diagnose the source of the pain i identified my workouts, bass playing and computer use as potential causes for the pain. i recently started to work from home for relatively long hours - so, to me, computer use looked to be the most likely cause.

The nature of the pain lead me to believe that its source was my poor ergonomic setup. I purchased a few things (laptop stand, keyboard tray, office chair, external keyboard, wrist pad) and have watched a bunch of youtube videos on proper ergonomic setup and i now constantly do self ergonomic audits with my wife's help.

For about a month, my wrist has felt close to normal. Prayerfully this trajectory continues.

I'd recommend letting someone take a look at you while you're playing to determine if there is anything about your playing that needs to change.

The answer could be a new bass, new approach and a new strap on top of rest, ergonomic setup, more careful form when exercising nerve flossing, therapy and other stuff.

Hopefully things work out well for you.

jason

2cor5:21

Soli Deo Gloria

"it's the beauty of a community. it takes a village to raise a[n] [LLroomtempJ]." -robb

My YouTube Channel

Ulnar nerve damage is not something to fool with.

I let my symptoms go for six months (numbness in the left hand, primarily the opposing fingers: thumb/ring/pinky).

After a consultation with my primary and neuro Docs, surgery was done. They opened up my elbow, removed the Ulnar nerve, scraped away bone tissue that had been pinching the nerve, and replaced the nerve in its' usual place.

For some reason (which I've never pinpointed), my elbow bones shifted and caused the pinch.

Neuro said he'd seen cases where people had ignored the 'numbness' until the results were permanent. Permanent meaning that the ulnar nerve stimulates the 'opposing muscles' in the hand. When that stimulation stops, the muscles atrophy, resulting in a "Claw grip" that will NEVER be reversed.

I lost approximately 10% of my nerve reaction ability by waiting six months.

Take 10% of your left hand technique and throw it in the garbage disposal...

???

Jim

Confirmed RoscoeHead

So I just had the test. Electrodes stuck to my arm and increasing electric shocks sent through them. At first it was fine but the shocks increased in intensity. And then she said: "Now for the needle." Dammit!!

Not sure how long it lasted, but at the end of it she said: "The nerve is completely fine. No carpal tunnel whatsoever." We talked a bit more, and she deduced that it's either an inflammation or stress-induced. Given that it's mostly gone away now that I quit the band, I am guessing it's the latter.

I will still see my GP (house doctor?) later this week to discuss matters, but at any rate I will make some changes in my D2D routine and in bass practice. And just for shits 'n' giggles I will take the rest of the week off from playing bass.

Archived