Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Loop pedal

Pale

I have been thinking about getting a loop pedal (after watching some cool youtube clips) so I was wondering if anyone around here has one? Which one to get, what to be careful about etc?

Also, if you have one do you use it or is it just a novelty toy that sits and collects dust? Once I thought a talkbox would be so nice to have, and my wife bought it for my birthday. It turned out I used it a few times in 3 years. I will probably sell talkbox to buy a loop pedal :) Though it would be cool to use them together :)

Custom handmade clocks: www.etsy.com/shop/ClockLight

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Besides my main classic rock band I have an acoustic trio of piano and two guitars. I want to do interesting covers of pop songs usng loop pedal in that trio, maybe create drum patterns tapping te guitar body and using various percussions we usually carry. Maybe create bass lines, and possibly vocal harmony. I like Line6 DL for it's delay features but it seems to me that 14 seconds of loop time is way too short.

I was thinking about boss RC series, those seem to have more loop time and features like tap tempo etc. I do not care much about effects since I already have a pretty powerfull effect section in my CP5. I would also like to have stereo, I would not like my stage piano stereo effects collapse to mono after being passed through the loop pedal.

Is it too much to ask? :)

The DigiTech JamMan products are great and use compact flash cards that store a lot. They recently discontinued the mono versions so they can be found on eBay at decent prices.

Mark

"Think Pink Floyd are whiny old men? No Problem. Turn em off and enjoy the Miley Cyrus remix featuring Pitbull." - Cygnus64

Life is shorter than you think...make it count.

I have a JamMan also and it's a pretty good device, but it's not the best w/r/t layering and it's mono - some of their other offerings may improve on that. There are some larger Boss pedals like the RC-50 and RC-300 and the like that offer many features like that, non-destructive addition and subtraction. For the ultimate in that type of work you could implement a software solution like Mobius and a foot controller and do multi-track looping. Unfortunately the options available now sometimes make the situation more confusing than not.

I really do not want to spend a lot of money on a "Let's try this for a change" pedal :). So big Boss rc300 is probably out of question. I'm looking at RC3 or maybe RC20 or RC30.

There are some software solutions I could try at home before buying hardware ( I generally prefer hardware on stage)?

It seems I will have to deal with mono since these pedals are primarily made for guitarists.

Btw, check this guy out ( and bare with the talking part, or at least skip it instead):

http://youtu.be/33ppdsfYjrU

Also, unrelated to my quest, a clip for your own viewing pleasure:

I do not use Mainstage, I actually use 0 software solutions. Installing and trying something out is no problem at all, so I will give it a go with Mainstage or Mobius before buying hardware

Loopy sounds like a nice solution for my needs ( aka wanna try something out without breaking the piggy bank). Can someone recommend a good audio/midi interface? I've bought my ipad recently and haven't really looked into additional audio hardware yet.

Btw, it seems that loopy is on sale for 4$. I must say it is abit cheaper than myy original 200$-300$ budget.

I have heard good things about the Griffin Studio Connect, I have an IO Dock that works well but it doesn't work with my 4th Generation iPad. Actually, it does with an lightning to 30 pin adapter but doesn't fit in the holding slot at all. The Studio Connect is much easier to adapt.

Boards: Kurzweil SP-6, Roland FA-08, VR-09, DeepMind 12

Modules: Korg Radias, Roland D-05, Bk7-m & Sonic Cell

I have a Boss RC-20XL Loop Station. It works great for practicing, laying down new grooves, etc. It is totally a keeper for me. But....

I would consider how well your bandmates can cope with you using a looper. For example, my drummer is too lax with his time. I had initially intended on using it to create complex clavinet parts, which works great at home, but after a few measures things come unglued when playing with him. I guess I listen to him more than he listens to me :(

Fender Rhodes, Wurlitzer 200a, Clavinet D6, Clavinet-Pianet DUO, Pianet T, Pianet N, Hammond B3

Hammond SK1, Yamaha CP4

I have no desire using it in my main band since I know exactly that your problem would happen with every drummer that does not play on a click. I have an a acoustic trio ( no drummer ) and I plan to lay some grooves there using loops. Maybe egg shakers, bells, whistles, vocal harmony and bass.

I am buying Loopy app today, I just need to find an iRig or something similar to get audio inside iphone/ipad. Btw, app works on both devices, so that will give me two loopers for 4$.

Got Loopy app yesterday! Tons of fun, you get up to twelve independent loops in a session, you can combine different loops into a single one. You get tap tempo, different loops lenghts in same session, overdub, record and all sort of other goodies.

For a mere 4$ this really is a great alternative to spending 50x more cash to get basically the same thing. And you can save all your sessions, and record performances on the fly.

I'm really pleased with it, now I just need to buy a solution to get audio input into ipad/iphone. I've been doing a capella beatboxing with ipad's microphone whole afternoon , it is time to start using keys :)

The same app works on iphone , so if you got one like I do you actually get 2 loopers for 4$.

The only downside is you do not get footswitches :). Although there are some pageturning footswitches for ipad that supposedly do work with loopy.

Archived