Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

New to me URB

Wally Malone

I've had a change of mind as to using the funds from my F Bass sale. Originally I was looking at getting a MacBook Pro and Logic Pro software but instead decided on replacing my 1/4 size Kay URB with a German carved bass made around the 30's to 40's. It is 1/2 size and is structurally intact but does look fairly beat up. It has a bigger sound and plays easier than the Kay. I'll pick it up sometime this weekend since the Bass Doc is going to put some varnish on the bigger scratches. Looks like the computer and recording software is going to have to wait until the Stingray and my 1/4 size Kay sell.
I have basses to play, places to be and good music to make!

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Bob, it has a K&K Double Big Twin pickup and I read about it on your site. I don't use a bow and that seemed to be a negative with this pickup. I'm really looking forward to having a bigger sound and a bass that is easier to play.

Wally

Bob, it has a K&K Double Big Twin pickup and I read about it on your site. I don't use a bow and that seemed to be a negative with this pickup. I'm really looking forward to having a bigger sound and a bass that is easier to play.

Wally

URB pickup location influences the nature of the signal, just like on an eBass... closer to the bridge, more string detail (and often finger noise). That's the reason for the Bowing Advisory- it will reproduce all the sins of arco that are less than smooth, and some strings can have a lot of "grit" in their bowed sound (rosins have a part to play in that, too) that may nor may not be desirable. Proper amp or preamp impedance matching (1 megohm or higher) is particularly critical with the DBT, as it is with nearly every URB piezo transducer, for the proper tonal quality.

I had the K&K Bass Master Pro on my bass for several years, it has a Bass Max along with the Double Big Twin and a little mixer. It was not unlike having a PBass pickup with a bridge Jbass pickup; I relied on the Bass Max for the meat and potatoes, and seasoned the sound with more or less finger detail from the DBT. Not everyone needs that level of versatility; I haven't required it for a while, it's just the message that blending the DBT with a more "full bodied" pickup can be an option if it does not meet your needs-- e.g., I'd never recommend the DBT for roots music. In fact, I often recommend darker, fuller pickups for 1/2 size basses to compensate for the smaller, typically (but definitely not always!) less full sounding, smaller body.

Fortunately, a lot more quality strings have become available for 1/2 and 1/4 size basses over the last few years, so there are now options beyond the student level strings that were formerly the only choices.

1000 Upright Bass Links, Luthier Directory, Teacher Directory - http://www.gollihurmusic.com/links.cfm

[highlight] - Life is too short for bad tone - [/highlight]

Thanks all, I'm really looking forward to picking this up and hopefully it is ready tomorrow.

Bob, when I tried the bass it had an Underwood but the seller stated it wasn't his and had to return it. I haven't played it yet with the DBT. Since I mainly want this for jazz and do not even own a bow I think it will work out OK.

Wally

I did pick it up yesterday and played it for quite a while attempting to dial in the ShuttleMax 9.2. After spending all that time I still wasn't happy with what I was getting out of the pickup. I took it back to the luthier today and he is going to install a Turner UB-1, the same pickup system I have on my 1/4 size Kay. I'll get it back on Monday.

Wally

Picked the bass up yesterday and the Turner UB-1 is the ticket. This bass sounds and plays so much easier than my 1/4 size Kay. I'm looking forward to getting out and playing with others.

Wally

• 2 weeks later...

I'm having a blast playing this bass. A week ago on Saturday I played with a B3/piano player playing jazz tunes and yesterday played at a friends house for his wife's birthday, again playing jazz tunes. The band consisted of drums, keys, guitar and sax. I did get some cramping near the end but all in all felt good about the day. No soreness in my fingertips although I did have some pain in the big knuckle of my left hand trigger finger. I did play my six-string Ibanez on a couple of tunes that I called and played the melody. It's time to start playing more frequently with others even though I play on a daily basis at home.

Wally

• 2 weeks later...

So I've decided to give my URB a name. It seemed appropriate to find a German woman's name. So here are a few, in no particular order of preference and would like to hear your thoughts:

Brunnhilde - armored warrior woman

Elke - noble sort

Griselda or Zelda - grey battle maid

Lulu - famous warrior

Maud - mighty in battle

Thanks,

Wally

The Estel Louis is named "Khloe Kardashian", being as how they are approximately the same shape.

The Anton Richter was "Ashley Alexandria Dupree" becuase she was expensive and I was only leasing her.

The Stienberger is named "Mary-Kate Olsen" becuase without the end pin, she's four foot tall and three inches wide.

Sounds like you are probably a little more serious than me. I hope this doens't make me a bad person.

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn

Archived