Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Yamaha MOX8 or Kurweil PCLE8

daiphan

Hello all,

I have an issue that I hope you all can help. I recently bought the MOX8 but I am not quite happy with the acoustic sounds such as strings, piano, guitar... I compose at home (no gigs) and not too much into the electronic voices. I used to love the Kurweil PC88 back in the mid 90's because of the acoustic voices and thus I am contemplating returning the MOX8 and get the Kurweil instead but it will cot 500.00 more. I would like to know if overall the Kurzweil has more features or a better machine? I know from the appearance is that the K has more stylish and not as plasticky compared with the Y. Your input is very much appreciated and I eagerly wait for you replies. DP

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't understand Hungarian :laugh:

its a good comparison, however

SpaceStation V3,

MoxF6,PX5S,Hammond-SK2,Artis7,Stage2-73,

KronosX-73,MS Pro145,Ventilator,OB DB1,Lester K

Toys: RIP died in the flood of 8/16 1930 Hammond AV, 1970s Leslie 145, 1974 Rhodes Stage

Hello,

Yes, I watched the video as well as reading 198 comments. The outcome is almost 50/50 but I think the general agreement is:

1. Kurzweil has better keybed.

2. Kurzweil has more attractive appearance.

3. Kurweil has better orchestral voices (strings, pianos, guitars...)

Since I am into orchestral voices, may be I should consider the switch. DP

daiphan,

I own that Motif ES and Kurzweil PC3X. I also regularly play a Motif XS (same wave ROM and programs as the MOX).

Yes, the orchestral stuff on the Kurzweil is the best thing going in the workstation realm.

The guitars are better on the Yamaha.

Greg

Kurzweil Forte, Yamaha Motif ES7, Muse Receptor 2 Pro Max, Neo Ventilator

DP,

I like the sequencer better on the MOX. It has more features/editing capability. The Kurzweil sequencer feels more like a sketchpad for ideas rather than doing a complete song that would be radio ready.

I like the basic acoustic drums better on the MOX. The Kurzweil drums are fine and some of their processed kits provide more variety than on the MOX.

The guitar and drum arps on the MOX are fantastic. I also like the organs quite a lot better on the MOX.

As far as sitting down and just playing for fun, I enjoy the Kurzweil more. I spend a lot of time using the piano's, electric piano's, strings and orchestral stuff. Those are all wonderful sounds, very responsive, and a lot of fun to play.

What style of music are you wanting to create?

Greg

DP,

I like the sequencer better on the MOX. It has more features/editing capability. The Kurzweil sequencer feels more like a sketchpad for ideas rather than doing a complete song that would be radio ready.

I like the basic acoustic drums better on the MOX. The Kurzweil drums are fine and some of their processed kits provide more variety than on the MOX.

The guitar and drum arps on the MOX are fantastic. I also like the organs quite a lot better on the MOX.

As far as sitting down and just playing for fun, I enjoy the Kurzweil more. I spend a lot of time using the piano's, electric piano's, strings and orchestral stuff. Those are all wonderful sounds, very responsive, and a lot of fun to play.

What style of music are you wanting to create?

Greg

Hi Greg,

I will be using PC based sequencer so I do not need on board sequencer. My music is heavily involving acoustic sounds with piano and orchestra back up. I know the K has better keybed and better orchestal sounds. I am not sure if I want to pay another 500 bucks and give up editing abilities of the MOX8 in case I need them in the future. Sam Ash has a K on the floor so I need to stop by and see for myself first hand. DP

DP,

Yes, if you can check it out firsthand, that would be the best. Be sure to really play those orchestra/string sounds when you try it out. Use different velocities and phrasing to fully experience how skillfully those sounds are programmed.

For what you've described, I think your best bet is the Kurzweil.

Good luck,

Greg

My music is heavily involving acoustic sounds with piano and orchestra back up.

Make sure you can get on with the Kurzweil acoustic piano. I couldn't-there is a nasty "plastic" quality in the octave below Middle C.

On the other hand, there's plenty who love the K pianos. Your Fuel Economy May Vary...

Cheers, Mike

Archived