Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Using Yamaha P50m module with Yamaha S08 synth

Bossbandbob

I really do like the way the P50m pianos cut through the band mix but what is the easiest way to toggle back and forth between the Modules piano voices and the other internal voices of the S08? I need strings, brass and synths for several songs on my bands set lists. Right now I have 1/4" outs going from the module to my mixer and 1/4" outs going from the S08 to another channel of the mixer. If I use the S08's Utility Button and select "local switch"- off I just get the module playing- which is good when I want that. If I put the local switch back on I get both the module and the synth playing simultaneously which is bad when I just want the synth's internal sounds. I can set the module to an empty voice (29) to get just the synth sounds but this is too much fiddling around between songs for my liking as to get to that local switch I need to arrow down about 12 times. The S08 also loses that "local setting" every time I select an internal voice and I have to "arrow down"

all over again.

Hammonds:1959 M3,1961 A-101,Vent, 2 Leslies,VB3/Axiom,

Casio WK-7500,Yamaha P50m Module/DGX-300

Gig rig:Casio PX-5S/Roland VR-09/Spacestation V3

http://www.petty-larceny-band.com

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Looking through the S08 owner's manual, it's evident that the S08 is not designed to be even a elementary MIDI controller. It's a well designed, self-contained performance instrument, and is also capable of receiving data on all 16 MIDI channels in Multi Mode, thus making it useful as a multi timbral sound module for sequencing. But while it's MIDI receive capabilities are extensive, the only MIDI send variable I see is the MIDI transmit channel. That can be set in the Utility section.

So a couple of ideas that might work:

In Voice Mode:

For playing the P50m separately, try setting the MIDI transmit channel to 2, then set your P50m to channel 2 as well. When you don't need the P50m, the front panel toggle for switching the P50m's MIDI channel up to 3 is much quicker than scrolling to Voice 29, or scrolling down 12 times on the S08's front panel for 'local on, or off'. That should effectively disconnect the P50m for when you want to use the S08 separately.

Should you want to layer multiple sounds between the P50m and S08, studying the Multi Mode section in the manual will likely give you some ideas. It appears that, for live performance, two sounds at a time can be split or layered (the remaining 14 channels used for MIDI receive from a sequencer or external controller). So it's likely you could set up a layer or split that works with (or without) the P50m by using the same MIDI transmit / receive concept outlined above. The only question is whether or not the S08's transmit channel affects the corresponding channel in a Multi; it's possible that the Multi you wish to use (or have created) will need to 'avoid' that particular channel.

I have no direct experience with the S08 (other than having a student who used one as a piano, several years ago.) So I'm sort of shooting from the hip here, having just browsed the manual. So le me know if any of these ideas work.

'Someday, we'll look back on these days and laugh; likely a maniacal laugh from our padded cells, but a laugh nonetheless' - Mr. Boffo.

We need a barfing cat emoticon!

Thanks Allan,

I'll try your MIdi channel suggestion today. Otherwise, all I really need from the Module- S08 Midi connection is the keys and sustain pedal to work- which works fine.

Bob

I had an S08. I used a couple of the Multi voices to set up MIDI controllers for strings, EP, etc. from a little Alesis module.

You can do zones, and different MIDI sends for each zone, as I recall.

Also, you can use the wheel to scroll through the MULTI setups quickly.

You can also use a multi setup to only play locally, not MIDI.

I think there were at least 32 multi user setups, so unless you have more than that, you should be good.

Muzikteechur is Lonnie, in Kittery, Maine.

HS music teacher: Concert Band, Marching Band, Jazz Band, Chorus, Music Theory, AP Music Theory, History of Rock, Musical Theatre, Piano, Guitar, Drama.

Lonnie, that sounds a lot like Performance Mode in the S80 (which evolved into the additional Master Mode in the S90 series). Didn't see it in the S08 manual, though. But since you had an S08 and were able to set up external controls, perhaps there was a manual addendum ( and later software update ?) I might have missed.

'Someday, we'll look back on these days and laugh; likely a maniacal laugh from our padded cells, but a laugh nonetheless' - Mr. Boffo.

Looks like Yamaha could have hidden MIDI controller functions within one, simple toggle - if that toggle can be found. In Multi Edit, there is a list of control edits that are typically assigned to external control - as well as internal. Under Multi edit, check out the 'Voice Selection' parameter. It offers 'Bank Select MSB/LSB' and 'Program Number'. Then look at 'Part Mode', which lists a choice of 'Normal Voice, or 'Drum Voice'. I wonder if the choice 'Ext. Voice' is hidden somewhere in either of those Multi Edit choices; or possible that option is selected in some other way. Again, it might have been in a OS update, manual addendum, or both. Seems strange that Yamaha would offer all of the controller options listed for internal control only, then again....

Looking through the S08 owner's manual, it's evident that the S08 is not designed to be even a elementary MIDI controller. It's a well designed, self-contained performance instrument, and is also capable of receiving data on all 16 MIDI channels in Multi Mode, thus making it useful as a multi timbral sound module for sequencing. But while it's MIDI receive capabilities are extensive, the only MIDI send variable I see is the MIDI transmit channel. That can be set in the Utility section.

So a couple of ideas that might work:

In Voice Mode:

For playing the P50m separately, try setting the MIDI transmit channel to 2, then set your P50m to channel 2 as well. When you don't need the P50m, the front panel toggle for switching the P50m's MIDI channel up to 3 is much quicker than scrolling to Voice 29, or scrolling down 12 times on the S08's front panel for 'local on, or off'. That should effectively disconnect the P50m for when you want to use the S08 separately.

This does work to Isolate the module but only when the local switch is off. Then I can't get the keyboard voices at all. With local on I get both the keyboard and module playing together even after assigning the module and keyboard transmit out to channel 2. Changing to channel 3 on either device isolates the keyboard but then I can't isolate the module unless I scroll to local off again.

Look's like I'll try Lonnie's suggestion of setting up multi's once i wrap my head around how to do it as it has been awhile since I set one up. The S08's manual is not the easiest one to understand!

http://elektrotanya.com/yamaha_s08.pdf/download.html

This service manual indicates that there was an OS update for the S08 but I can't find anything on Yamaha's website. I had tried some media cards (which the update seems to require for instalation) with it awhile ago and never could get any to initialize so I gave up.

I definitely got it down using the Multis. Yes, there are 33 but for my T Petty cover band I only need 4 of them plus the module's pianos. I play organ on another board. I just programed the Synth, Strings etc. each onto a different Multi which all happen to run on midi channel 1 anyway. All I need to do to switch to the module is hit Utility on the S08 and change the Midi channel to ch 2, which of course is now is the receive channel of the module. It's just 3 toggles down but it seems to stay on "channel set" every time I hit Utility anyway, which is nice. I hit two buttons and I'm where I want to be. I guess there's more than one way to tame a Yamaha-Thanks for your help!

• 3 weeks later...
Interesting, I hooked up the module to an old 22 lb. Yamaha DGX 300 I had hanging around and it works fine and easily with it. The interesting part is that the DGX 300 shares many of the exact same internal voices as the 45 lb. Yammy S08, many of which are pretty good (excepting of course the pianos and organs, which is what I got the Module and VK-7 for). Actually some of the XG Voice acoustic pianos are not bad if you cut down the reverb. The DGX 300 does not have a fully weighted key bed but at this point I can play rock piano parts on any keyboard after a few minutes of getting used to it. I may end up gigging with it when I want to travel light after trying it in practice for a while. It does not have separate r/L outputs but a stereo headphone /output which I hooked up to my stereo mixer with a stereo Y connector cable.

I ended up getting one of these and 3 rca to 1/4" cables to switch back and forth between either Yammy keyboard and the module. switch

Works great with one button to push for the module and the other for the keyboard and I don't have to keep fiddling with buttons and menus between songs.

Archived