Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Roland is Back?

Ken Beaumont

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thoughts:

-Looks sort of like a Kronos (goodbye corny JP80 colors?)!

-black and white non-touch screen? This is 2013.

-The knobs appear to be much nicer quality than the kronos

-A specific "mic reverb" knob? Interesting...

-The highlight of the USB stick inserted, makes me wonder if they are playing up the architecture which will allow live streaming of samples from SSD?

-I really do question who approves the music for these promos? I would think you would want to create music that comes from the keyboard...and the sound in this one is almost laughable.

I'd love to see Roland step up their game. For me, the JP80 just fell quite short.

Lets hope for good things!

Interesting that the VR-09 hasn't even hit the streets yet, and they are already advertising another keyboard with drawbars. Unless this IS the VR-09??

Gigging: Crumar Mojo 61, Hammond SKPro

Home: Vintage Vibe 64

It looks like another in their BK series.

There might be something to this. On the screen you see Performance and Cmajor. Plus the emphasis on Mic level and Mic Reverb.

They haven't done much in arrangers for a while. It would be nice if it's more like the G-70

Busch.

It's the BK9, an 'arranger' keyboard.

chas

Legend Exp,NC2x,Crumar Seven,KeyB Duo MK111,Nord C1,Nord C2D,Triton Classic,Fantom G7,Motif ES,SonicCell,BK7m,PA1x pro,VP770,TC Helicon,Leslie 3300,MS Pro145,EV SXA250(2),Traynor K4,PK7a,A70,DM10 Pro.

I'm wondering if it's not a keyboard version of the Integra?

..Joe

Setup: Korg Kronos 61, Roland XV-88, Korg Triton-Rack, Motif-Rack, Korg N1r, Alesis QSR, Roland M-GS64 Yamaha KX-88, KX76, Roland Super-JX, E-Mu Longboard 61, Kawai K1II, Kawai K4.

I havent run into any of the new Roland products yet, but would like to try an A88/Integra setup.

I think a Casio PX-5S with an Integra would be a better setup at the same price. Between the low weight, the additional controller functionality (4 zones, lots more in the way of buttons/knobs/sliders), and the "bonus" of built in sounds, I find it hard to see any reason to not choose the Casio over the A88.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

Looks like a new "arranger" keyboard to me.

Korg Kronos 61 (2); Kurzweil PC4, Roland Fantom-06, Casio PX-350M; 2015 Macbook Pro and 2012 Mac Mini (Logic Pro X and Mainstage), GigPerformer 4.

I havent run into any of the new Roland products yet, but would like to try an A88/Integra setup.

I think a Casio PX-5S with an Integra would be a better setup at the same price. Between the low weight, the additional controller functionality (4 zones, lots more in the way of buttons/knobs/sliders), and the "bonus" of built in sounds, I find it hard to see any reason to not choose the Casio over the A88.

My thoughts exactly. But the Roland 88 may feel better than the Big C. Im not crazy about that box at the end of the A88 where they house the function buttons. Makes it look way too long. The C would fit right into the case I use for the mox, whereas one would have to get a longer case for the A88..n that would be too long too. Still, Im going to try one when n if I can find one. The A88 has been out for awhile now, but Ive yet to run into one. N Ive always liked Roland products.

Plus I use a Musebox, so no need for the Integra.

I'm wondering if it's not a keyboard version of the Integra?

..Joe

you mean they glued the keys on?

Of course not. Don't be silly...

They'd use a staple gun.

..Joe

Setup: Korg Kronos 61, Roland XV-88, Korg Triton-Rack, Motif-Rack, Korg N1r, Alesis QSR, Roland M-GS64 Yamaha KX-88, KX76, Roland Super-JX, E-Mu Longboard 61, Kawai K1II, Kawai K4.

-I really do question who approves the music for these promos? I would think you would want to create music that comes from the keyboard...and the sound in this one is almost laughable.

Roland Japan seems to specialize in cheesy demos in general. They marketed the JP80 with shakuhachi and those ubiquitous (and always crap) "lead gtr" patch solo demos (until the public backlash caused them to start pushing that "synth legends" stuff). Or it's always something that sounds like it came from a Sega videogame in the 90's.

Roland Japan seems to specialize in cheesy demos in general. They marketed the JP80 with shakuhachi and those ubiquitous (and always crap) "lead gtr" patch solo demos (until the public backlash caused them to start pushing that "synth legends" stuff). Or it's always something that sounds like it came from a Sega videogame in the 90's.

+1 on this.. Roland has the worst demos! Ever demo just sounds like cheese, especially any demo of an instrument with the VK organ in it.. the VK organ is my least favourite of all the organ engines, and they inevitably demo the VK engine in such a way as to emphasize the "rinky dinky cheesy" tone that drives me nuts!

Craig MacDonald

Hammond BV, Franken-B (A100 in a BV cabinet), Leslies 122/147/44W, Crumar Mojo, HX3 module, Korg Kronos, VR-09, Roland GAIA, Burn, Ventilator

Archived