Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

New KB day -- Kurzweil SP5-8

Mike Davis

Great action, very different from my old PC1x (yes, I keep things for a long time) This action is more substantial and maybe a little less forgiving, which is not a bad thing. Definitely snappier.

It's a simple instrument, at least compared to some of the full on workstations out there. Smartly laid out, though, and easy to negotiate. The favorites and the five faders are a couple of nice additions. In general, things are easy to get at.

Sound wise, Kurzweil has a particular character that just works for me. There's a depth and dimension there and I connect with it. Very subjective, I know, but there it is! The other makers have their own thing going on character wise. They're all good in their own way, but but I will say that if you like the Kurzweil sound, this thing shines.

Anything I don't like? I'm a little iffy on external power supplies in general. Not to open a can of worms or anything :)

A big winner IMHO.

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Both Busch and I played it at NAMM. I thought the sound was excellent, as was the build quality. It's nice to see something that rugged, at that price point, especially the way things seem to be going in that area these days.

At first play I was really liking it, but the more I got warmed up and started digging in, I don't think it would work for me doing jazz trio...but other less demanding contexts it probably would be fine.

We both walked over to the PC3K8 and agreed the Fatar TP40L action was preferable. Too bad they couldn't get that action in that board, I don't know if it was a price point consideration or what.

On the other hand it sounds like its working fine for you which is the most important thing.. :) They certainly have their own distinctive sound.

Congrats on the new board. It's always nice to have something new and inspiring to play on.

We both walked over to the PC3K8 and agreed the Fatar TP40L action was preferable. Too bad they couldn't get that action in that board, I don't know if it was a price point consideration or what.

On the other hand it sounds like its working fine for you which is the most important thing.. :) They certainly have their own distinctive sound.

Congrats on the new board. It's always nice to have something new and inspiring to play on.

Dave, thanks for the congrats. It is a treat to have something new. And I certainly agree with you that the action on the SP is less refined than that on the more expensive models.

I did experiment with the velocity response in the global settings and found a preset called 'piano response.' Much more sensitive to subtle playing than the default setting which seemed a little hard to me.

Hope all is well with you :)

At first play I was really liking it, but the more I got warmed up and started digging in, I don't think it would work for me doing jazz trio...but other less demanding contexts it probably would be fine.

Dave, could you expand on the dislikes please? That is supposed to be the new fully-weighted graded hammer-action which should, theoretically, be ideal for a stage piano and it especially should work in a more demanding context. What about it didn't you like? The release? The weighting? Too heavy? Too light? Could you be more specific? thanks.

57 Hammond B3; 69 Hammond L100P; 68 Leslie 122; Kurzweil Forte7 & PC3; M-Audio Code 61; Voce V5+; Neo Vent; EV ELX112P; GSI Gemini & Burn

Delaware Dave

Exit93band

• 2 weeks later...

Bump for addendum:

The power supply on the SP5-8 has got to be the worst and most awkward ever. Two pieces! and the wires are so stiff that there's no good way to coil them or get them to lie flat.

Does anyone know if it's possible to use the PS from my old PC1x instead?

Other than that, I'm really happy with this instrument. FWIW :)

Dave, could you expand on the dislikes please? That is supposed to be the new fully-weighted graded hammer-action which should, theoretically, be ideal for a stage piano and it especially should work in a more demanding context. What about it didn't you like? The release? The weighting? Too heavy? Too light? Could you be more specific? thanks.

Hey Dave. Sorry I missed your post. To be more specific if I can remember...it was a few months ago and I only spent a short time with it....and it was NAMM ;) -but it seemed to be too light for my taste with the travel being a little too short. From what I recalled it seemed when I *dug in*, it didn't feel very substantial. At loss for a better description, I'll just say it didn't feel *right* to me..And then when Busch and I walked over to the PCK8 which was an aisle over, the difference was very obvious and the K8 was preferable to me like I mentioned.

All that said, like anything I play at NAMM, I like to give things a second shot in a store where the listening environment is more quiet (hopefully lol...I try and go at off hours with phones). I thought the sounds I heard were really nice. I'd be curious to know if the D/A and outputs are the same as the flagship PCK models.

I could see myself owning the board for the infrequent calls were I'm doing the synth chair on these Musical Theatre/Phantom of the opera type gigs. It would be fantastic for something like that !

So yeah, not totally writing it off, but I think I had a pretty good idea on first play that it wouldn't be my first choice on a jazz trio gig. But again, I'd actually like to play it at least another time to see if I feel differently....could've very well been my mood, I was at NAMM... :laugh:

Build quality is high on my list of priorities these days and the SP5-8 certainly seemed robust.

Archived