Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

MOX8 Turning off!

metromike

Hi Everyone...I wonder if anyone else has experienced this problem. I have been gigging with my MOX8 for about 6 months now and everything has been fine. Last two shows it powered off in the middle of a set (while I was playing!) I would lose the keyboard out of the mix and look down and it was off.

I know there is a auto-off, energy saver type thing, but I checked and that function is off.

Any insight from you guys would be appreciated - thank you!

Gear: Roland RD700, Yamaha MotifES6, Roland Fantom FA76, Roland JP-8000, Roland AX-7, Roland Juno-106.

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Loose power connector? It doesn't take much of a power drop to kill it. I had a power strip that would kill my board it would drop out sometimes for less than a second. Other things like my monitor setup would stay working since the dropout was so short lived.

Boards: Kurzweil SP-6, Roland FA-08, VR-09, DeepMind 12

Modules: Korg Radias, Roland D-05, Bk7-m & Sonic Cell

Does this only happen on a gig or can you replicate the problem at home? Power at the gig might be just flaky enough to cause problems. Even if your gigs for the past six months have included the place where the problem happened, things there might have changed.

I've seen posts here where someone was at a gig and the power there would fluctuate just enough when the refrigerator cycled on to cause a similar problem.

If it's the power at the gig causing it, you might need power conditioning or a battery backup.

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

...I've indeed seen many scary electrical outlet wirings at various venues.... As said, test this back home with a Furman or something similar decent electrical environment If you play in bad environments and worry about dropouts, get a Furman, those are less than $100 at GC and similar places. *)

*) At our house the squirrels chewed out the outside power cable wiring resulting in drastic power drops, resulting in us calling PG&E to replace the wiring about once a year. Well, PG&E figured out a way to make cables that the squirrels don't like to chew on so the problem is gone. I still have a Furman connected to all the studio gear.

At our house the squirrels chewed out the outside power cable wiring resulting in drastic power drops,

I've got a couple of more amusing squirrel stories; one got trapped in our chimney downstairs (originally for a wood-burning stove). You wouldn't believe what we did to get him out of the house.

Then about 8 years ago, one of these critters got in the house:

http://www.sierraforestlegacy.org/images/conservation/SNWR/FlyingSquirrel2.jpg

It was making noise downstairs at 3 in the morning... imagine the look on my face when I saw it :freak: , although it wasn't "flying" at the time. Bought one of those "Have a Heart" traps and ended up taking the creature to a nearby park and releasing it there.

Then there was the mouse in the wall that chewed on a power cable... died inside the wall and took weeks for the smell to go away.

:mad:

When an eel hits your eye like a big pizza pie, that's a Moray.

thanks all. maybe it was the power at the venue. I do run everything through my Furman. Weird!

On a side note...I really don't like the a/c supply anyway...it seems like it was made for a toy. This board has been quite a change from my RD-700, which was built like a tank

Gear: Roland RD700, Yamaha MotifES6, Roland Fantom FA76, Roland JP-8000, Roland AX-7, Roland Juno-106.

Archived