Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

new gig for me

jeremy c

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 1 month later...

Very cool.

Some friends and bandmates/collaborators of mine did a production here of Hedwig in a local rock club that was great. They had some clever multimedia approaches to the production (Tommy Gnosis was playing at the big arena in town, and Hedwig kept switching the TVs in the place to a pay-per-view transmission of that show...

Actually I don't know if other productions do it that way... the one I saw a town over didn't.

Anyway, it really felt like you were in a club rock show instead of a staged play... and apparently a few people in attendance over the run didn't realize it was a play until certain parts of the show.

Our performance is at a small theater which is only a few blocks away from a stadium (AT&T park, home of the SF Giants).

If you look at the picture, you can see a door at the back of the stage. Every once in a while, Hedwig opens the door and you can hear Tommy on stage at the stadium. It's a great effect.

We have eight different actors playing Hedwig, so it is less of a one person show. These actors represent Hedwig at various stages of his/her life and various sides of Hedwig's personality. It also allows us to have dance routines and harmony singing. Some of the parts are played by men and some by women and sometimes it's hard to tell who is what (until you're in the dressing room). ;)

I discovered how cool theater can be, and how much I prefer it over TV or movies, about 5 years ago. I love see the creative ways staging is done in order to evoke a sense of place.

Any chance of Ross's shirt getting in on the production?

"Call me what instrument you will, though you can fret me, yet you cannot play upon me.'-Hamlet

Guitar solos last 30 seconds, the bass line lasts for the whole song.

I think Hedwig is the best mixture of rock and theater I've seen... or even rock and cinema for the great film version. I guess it helps that the writers grew up with the previous examples and studied their strengths.

• 3 weeks later...
I discovered how cool theater can be, and how much I prefer it over TV or movies, about 5 years ago. I love see the creative ways staging is done in order to evoke a sense of place.

Any chance of Ross's shirt getting in on the production?

Give me the word..... and the address to send...

"When I take a stroll down Jackass Lane it is usually to see someone that is already there" Mrs. Brown

Archived