Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Rode Stole My Friend's Mic!

A String

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply
He's really torn. He wants the mic back, but at the same time, he's afraid that he won't be able to find anyone who can repair it and will be stuck with no mic.

I'd make some calls, or send some emails to other repair shops, to test the waters. There's no point in having Rode return a dead mic no one can (or will) repair, but I'd want to be sure I'd exhausted all other options, first.

"Monsters are real, and Ghosts are real too. They live inside us, and sometimes, they win." Stephen King

http://www.novparolo.com

https://thewinstonpsmithproject.bandcamp.com

OK, in the end, he went with two solutions. He took Rode up on their offer (they gave him $100 off a Rode NT2A) and ordered a used Rode NT2 from EBay.

He really wanted an NT2 but was afraid he wouldn't be able to find anyone to fix his old one if he got it back. Also, he'd lose the discount and still have to pay for a used NT2 or wait and find a repair shop and pay them.

In the end, this solution got him both an NT2 and let him get a discount on another new mic. Cost a little more, but he gets two mics out of the deal.

Hope he got a good deal on the mic from Ebay and that the new one works out for him. On the one hand I think Rode could have given him up to the cost of the used Ebay replacement mic as a discount. On the other hand if the warranty had expired, they were not obligated to repair their old equipment or discount the new mic. There is a lot of old stuff out there that it's hard to find parts for. Glad it got resolved...
Take care, Larryz

OK, in the end, he went with two solutions. He took Rode up on their offer (they gave him $100 off a Rode NT2A) and ordered a used Rode NT2 from EBay.

In the end, this solution got him both an NT2 and let him get a discount on another new mic. Cost a little more, but he gets two mics out of the deal.

I hope he did his Google research. I haven't looked into it much, since I don't need Rode mics, & don't need more of any kind of mics actually, but my understanding was that the NT2 & NT2A are quite different. Redesigned guts, different capsule & capsule baffle, & different noise specs. So if he was thinking this would be a stereo pair, they may not match well.

Scott Fraser

Scott and Craig- could you describe the differences, pros and cons, apples and oranges, particularly those that are perceivable, between the NT2 and NT2A? Including applications! :)

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

Well, I dunno what to say about that deal that would make it past the mods for more than a day or two.

As far as Rode is concerned, they're thieves in my book, and they'll never see another penny from me. I'll be spreading the word.

My ears are haunted.

Scott and Craig- could you describe the differences, pros and cons, apples and oranges, particularly those that are perceivable, between the NT2 and NT2A? Including applications! :)

Here's a review on the NT2A which starts out with an explanation of the difference. Frankly it's so different I'm surprised they didn't give the new Australian made version a new model number. Seems they have rather little in common.

http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/mar05/articles/rodent2a.htm

I don't have any Rode mics, & have only used a few in some other studios, so I don't have enough personal experience with them to make any claims. I own a large quantity of Neumanns (20 or so,) & I'm really not looking to switch horses at this point. Rode started out importing rebadged Chinese models which were not well liked in the pro community. Now they make all their own mics & are generally considered a pretty good brand. Kinda like Audio-Technica, a decent lower cost alternative to the high priced German & Austrian brands.

Scott Fraser

Archived