Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Leslie Studio 12

lowerhodes

I know it's probably too early for most of you to have tried or even seen the new Leslie Studio 12 but I am intrigued to say the least. Maybe somebody who went to NAMM checked one out or knows what it's going to cost?
Fender Rhodes (x4) / Wurlitzer 200A / NE3 61 / Motif XS6 / Korg SV-1 73

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

B3guys, from whom I bought my KeyB Duo Mk111, has it listed for $1495.00. Wonder if it sounds better than my MS Pro 145; sure hope so. Might pick one up if I can unload my as-new MS Pro 145 w/custom padded cover (hint, hint).

chas

Legend Exp,NC2x,Crumar Seven,KeyB Duo MK111,Nord C1,Nord C2D,Triton Classic,Fantom G7,Motif ES,SonicCell,BK7m,PA1x pro,VP770,TC Helicon,Leslie 3300,MS Pro145,EV SXA250(2),Traynor K4,PK7a,A70,DM10 Pro.

I would stay away.... It's really made for guitar... I would buy a Vent for performance and a classic Leslie for home.

The G27 and G37 are guitar Leslies. The Studio 12 is voiced for organ. Its small size and (possible, the information is a little confusing) choices of finish may make it more desirable for home and small studios. Also, 2 studio 12's may sound nicer than one large Leslie in many applications.

I have one on pre order with the option of a 30 day return w/o restocking fees.

I am after the 147 sound, 100 watts sounds shy but we'll see.

I have tried everything from old Dynachords, Motion Sound Pro3, Pro3Tx, Vent, and they are useful, but the juice for me was the lower Wooden Baffle, I just don't hear that except on a real Leslie.

Plus I want to see if I can use a Marshall Head and Moog Ring Mod, or the Scope Modular Multi Osc Ring Mod.

One more try won't hurt..

Magnus C350 and a TV Dinner Tray Stand

http://soundcloud.com/you/sets

Digital Distortion applied globally just won't cut it. While we have excellent Rotor emulations and they sound good in the low end and midrange, it's once you get those frequencies sounding nice and overdriven the drawbars and high end content loses definition.

So then the distortion and Overdrive is rendered to it's lowest acceptable tradeoff point, rendering the Jon Lord, Steppenwolf, ELP, Boston and Uriah Heep sound into a Smooth Jazz B3.

IyyyAmmmm Sow-wee..

Magnus C350 and a TV Dinner Tray Stand

http://soundcloud.com/you/sets

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
Hopefully, a store locally is getting the 12, the 3300 and the 2101 in stock, so when I hear back, Ill do a shootout with all 3 as well as the neo vent and the internal sim. Im planning on spending several hours on this. Sorry to bring up an old thread....

"Ive been playing Hammond since long before anybody paid me to play one, I didn't do it to be cool, I didnt do it to make a statement......I just liked it "

Hopefully, a store locally is getting the 12, the 3300 and the 2101 in stock, so when I hear back, Ill do a shootout with all 3 as well as the neo vent and the internal sim. Im planning on spending several hours on this. Sorry to bring up an old thread....

never be sorry to bring up an old thread if you are actually going to take it somewhere new. I will look forward to the results of your shootout, as I'm not familiar with the new 12 model Leslie.

:nopity:

• 2 weeks later...
So.... anyone seen, heard or tried one of these yet?

well, as luck would have it, I got to try one out today. Played a Hammond SK1 through it at Washington Music Center. Wasn't the best environment for a tryout, busy Saturday in a music store. I had to turn the bass eq all the way up on the SK1 to get an even tone across the keyboard. I have no way of knowing with the limited time I had whether that was because of the keyboard or the leslie. It is the same size and weight as my Leslie 2121's. My sales rep described it to me as a small studio leslie, as opposed to the 3300, a gigging leslie. The 3300 was not hooked up and I haven't played through that one either, next time maybe. I used the foot switch on the Studio 12 for switching between chorale and tremelo. The bass rotor seemed a little slow ramping up to me, but we all have our own ideas of what that should be. Using the footswitch, I could not go from stop to tremelo directly, had to go through chorale first, just one more stomp but I really like this feature and the same style pedal does this feature on my Ventilator. I got used to that feature and I like it. Anyway, it is 40 pounds lighter and $1000 less than the 3300, and it clearly is labeled "Leslie Studio", on the front, so we can see how it is being marketed. Also, it doesn't have the pebbled finish that the 3300 and the 2121's have, making it easier to scratch the finish. I can't see this being a big seller, but for a studio without a vintage leslie that doesn't have the $ for a 3300 it should work just fine.

:nopity:

Cool, Im glad to hear about this, as I still havnt heard back from the store that was supposed to get this in stock. I have to say, Im a little disappointed in HS customer service so far, I called the tech dept, couldn't leave a message as the mailbox was full, couldn't even get hold of a receptionist, and after talking with a few stores around here, they are not too happy with dealing with HS.I live reasonably close to there HQ and still cant check out all there products to make any decisions on purchasing anything.

"Ive been playing Hammond since long before anybody paid me to play one, I didn't do it to be cool, I didnt do it to make a statement......I just liked it "

• 2 months later...

Hi Andre,

I just talked to Hammond Germany about the Lesie Studio 12.

It seems that it will not be available in Europe because of CE conformity....

cheers

Markus

Studio: Hammond XK5-XLK5, Yamaha P515, Roland Fantom 7, Prophet 5, Moog Sub37, Neo Vent, HX3-Expander

Live: Yamaha CP88, Hammond SKX Pro, Roland Juno-X, Leslie 251, Roland SA1000

Hi Andre,

I just talked to Hammond Germany about the Lesie Studio 12.

It seems that it will not be available in Europe because of CE conformity....

cheers

Markus

Oh well....thanks Markus, it seemed like something that could be exactly right...real moving air and just enough bass.

I used to have a Motion sound pro 3x , sounded to cold and harsh and now I want to solely use the ventilator (with Hx3), but can still spot the diffenrences with a real tube leslie.

So I am looking out for a manageable 145 or 330, but all depends after I receive my Hx3 and xb2 kit (still not arrived !).

Maybe the ventilator will do what it does for others (not with my Numa organ that is)....A very good sonic lightweight replacement for a 122.

Regards,

André

• 1 year later...

Zombie alert!!!

Anybody ever get one of these? Or at least demo them in a good listening environment?

Montage 7, Mojo 61, PC-3, XK-3c Pro, Kronos 88, Hammond SK-1, Motif XF- 7, Hammond SK-2, Roland FR-1, FR-18, Hammond B3 - Blond, Hammond BV -Cherry

Zombie alert!!!

Anybody ever get one of these? Or at least demo them in a good listening environment?

obviously you don't subscribe to the magazine (or even go to the website) :laugh:

Tony wrote a very nice review in the October 14 issue. KLONK

Yes read that. Thanks! Was hoping for more than one opinion.....
Montage 7, Mojo 61, PC-3, XK-3c Pro, Kronos 88, Hammond SK-1, Motif XF- 7, Hammond SK-2, Roland FR-1, FR-18, Hammond B3 - Blond, Hammond BV -Cherry

• 2 weeks later...
I've played through one that's owned by a fellow local keyboardist. It sounds great. But you may want to wait... that's all I can say about that.

Official news release by Hammond today. An updated studio 12+ using a birch cabinet with the textured finish like the 3300.

http://hammondorganco.com/hammondleslie-announce-improvements-to-the-studio-12-model/

Archived