Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Cubase 7, who's on, and what do you think?

DanS

Ran into an issue last night while editing multiple tracks (drum tracks) in Cubase 7. The "edit group" button would not work. I'd click it, it would change color indicating it was "on", and yet my edits would only affect one track in the group. Switched back to Cubase 6.5 and it worked fine. Thankfully projects saved in 7 can still be opened in 6.5, but perhaps this is only for the trial period? In any case, I don't know why it wasn't working in 7.

I'm getting more used to the mixer. Still wavering on whether to spring for the upgrade or not.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply
C7 arrived yesterday and I installed it last night. I'm still having issues with both my MIDI and audio connections I need to get resolved. I did take the time to try Greg's "always on top" solution for moving the mixer window to the second monitor and it works just fine.

Hardware:
Yamaha
: MODX7 | Korg: Kronos 88, Wavestate | ASM: Hydrasynth Deluxe | Roland: Jupiter-Xm, Cloud Pro, TD-9K V-Drums | Alesis: StrikePad Pro|
Behringer: Crave, Poly D, XR-18, RX1602 | CPS: SpaceStation SSv2 | 
Controllers: ROLI RISE 49 | Arturia KeyLab Essentials 88, KeyLab 61, MiniLab | M-Audio KeyStation 88 & 49 | Akai EWI USB |
Novation LaunchPad Mini, |
Guitars & Such: Line 6 Variax, Helix LT, POD X3 Live, Martin Acoustic, DG Strat Copy, LP Sunburst Copy, Natural Tele Copy|
Squier Precision 5-String Bass | Mandolin | Banjo | Ukulele

Software:
Recording
: MacBook Pro | Mac Mini | Logic Pro X | Mainstage | Cubase Pro 12 | Ableton Live 11 | Monitors: M-Audio BX8 | Presonus Eris 3.5BT Monitors | Slate Digital VSX Headphones & ML-1 Mic | Behringer XR-18 & RX1602 Mixers | Beyerdynamics DT-770 & DT-240
Arturia: V-Collection 9 | Native Instruments: Komplete 1 Standard | Spectrasonics: Omnisphere 2, Keyscape, Trilian | Korg: Legacy Collection 4 | Roland: Cloud Pro | GForce: Most all of their plugins | u-he: Diva, Hive 2, Repro, Zebra Legacy | AAS: Most of their VSTs |
IK Multimedia: SampleTank 4 Max, Sonik Synth, MODO Drums & Bass | Cherry Audio: Most of their VSTs |

Still sorting through issues ... sometimes you just gotta ask yourself, if it ain't broke, why did i try to fix it? Patience. Patience. Waiting on Steinberg Support. Tried the suggestions they gave me and inadvertently wiped out my eLicenser data. Say a prayer for me if you would.

Hardware:
Yamaha
: MODX7 | Korg: Kronos 88, Wavestate | ASM: Hydrasynth Deluxe | Roland: Jupiter-Xm, Cloud Pro, TD-9K V-Drums | Alesis: StrikePad Pro|
Behringer: Crave, Poly D, XR-18, RX1602 | CPS: SpaceStation SSv2 | 
Controllers: ROLI RISE 49 | Arturia KeyLab Essentials 88, KeyLab 61, MiniLab | M-Audio KeyStation 88 & 49 | Akai EWI USB |
Novation LaunchPad Mini, |
Guitars & Such: Line 6 Variax, Helix LT, POD X3 Live, Martin Acoustic, DG Strat Copy, LP Sunburst Copy, Natural Tele Copy|
Squier Precision 5-String Bass | Mandolin | Banjo | Ukulele

Software:
Recording
: MacBook Pro | Mac Mini | Logic Pro X | Mainstage | Cubase Pro 12 | Ableton Live 11 | Monitors: M-Audio BX8 | Presonus Eris 3.5BT Monitors | Slate Digital VSX Headphones & ML-1 Mic | Behringer XR-18 & RX1602 Mixers | Beyerdynamics DT-770 & DT-240
Arturia: V-Collection 9 | Native Instruments: Komplete 1 Standard | Spectrasonics: Omnisphere 2, Keyscape, Trilian | Korg: Legacy Collection 4 | Roland: Cloud Pro | GForce: Most all of their plugins | u-he: Diva, Hive 2, Repro, Zebra Legacy | AAS: Most of their VSTs |
IK Multimedia: SampleTank 4 Max, Sonik Synth, MODO Drums & Bass | Cherry Audio: Most of their VSTs |

Thanks guys, keep it coming.

BTW, the 'always on top' function works great with all your softsynths as well. I usually have all of them on a seperate monitor when composing. I've actually considered adding a 3rd monitor to have Cubase, the mixer, and softsyths/effects all available at the same time, but that's a bit piggish... ;)

What we record in life, echoes in eternity.

MOXF8, Electro 6D, XK1c, Motif XSr, PEKPER, Voyager, Univox MiniKorg.

https://www.abandoned-film.com

So I looked at my Alchemy files and discovered...they were pretty old. Downloading the new sound files now. I know they work since I have the new sound files on my MacBook Pro.

EDIT: Yes, that was it. Once I downloaded the new Alchemy files (many, many Bytes..) and then reinstalled it works fine.

I do like the new Cubase 7 mixer. However, I was told I can bring up the instrument from the mixer but I haven't found that yet. Help.

Steve Force,

Durham, North Carolina

--------

My Professional Websites

• 6 months later...

I took the plunge and bought the upgrade the other night. Steinberg is raising prices on all upgrade paths on the 15th, so I figured I'd better get on board before all that nonsense.

I'm getting more and more used to Cubase 7. The ability to drag plugs across the insert bus above the faders is something that ProTools has had for awhile and it's a really nice feature.

One thing I wish Steinberg would implement is the ability to split a stereo track into two mono tracks right on the timeline. I don't know why they make you re-import the file. Or, if you've done any edits on it at all, export it THEN re-import. Silliness.

...One thing I wish Steinberg would implement is the ability to split a stereo track into two mono tracks right on the timeline. I don't know why they make you re-import the file. Or, if you've done any edits on it at all, export it THEN re-import. Silliness.

Jim,

I'm working with 6.5 so many of the features are still similar.

May I ask why you need to separate your stereo file? Just curious...

Usually I need to separate a stereo file due to a mistake on my end. For example, the other day I wanted to get a quick idea down on the Hammond. I already had the mics in place but didn't pay attention to the gain settings on the mixer channels. I recorded the Leslie to a stereo track and the left side of the Leslie image was lower than the right. I tried to fix it by adjusting the panning, but then the center image seemed unnatural. So I had to re-import the audio file into Cubase and tell it to split the channels. Then I could process the offending left channel separately. It seems like a function in the AUDIO tools menu could do the same thing and save a step or two.

Usually I need to separate a stereo file due to a mistake on my end. For example, the other day I wanted to get a quick idea down on the Hammond. I already had the mics in place but didn't pay attention to the gain settings on the mixer channels. I recorded the Leslie to a stereo track and the left side of the Leslie image was lower than the right. I tried to fix it by adjusting the panning, but then the center image seemed unnatural. So I had to re-import the audio file into Cubase and tell it to split the channels. Then I could process the offending left channel separately. It seems like a function in the AUDIO tools menu could do the same thing and save a step or two.

Jim,

Back in the early days of VST (pre SX), we had separate left and right faders per stereo channel. Sadly, this hasn't been the case since (maybe that's changed in Cubase 7?).

The solution I use (in 6.5) isn't pretty, but it works and is fairly quick. I don't have to split-import a stereo track. As seen in the pic below, open the channel strip and assign a send to a bus out (left or right, depending on the offending side. You'll need to view the additional send routing to set the pan hard left or right...it's set center by default). In this solution, the send will be adding the volume you need to compensate. That's it.

Of course, if you wish to additionally insert a legitimate fx to a send in this same channel (reverb or other), you will need to insert it in a group channel instead (and route your channel there).

Apologies for derailing this thread...

http://i40.tinypic.com/oaq7ir.png

A stupid question, perhaps:

I'm considering upgrading to cubase 7 from cubase 5. My main reason for doing this is because of the 64 bit issue. The cubase 5 j-bridge thing isn't enough. I've been working a lot with kontakt lately, and i can use NI Session Horns Pro, a scarbee bass - and that pretty much fills up the ram capacity. I have 6 GB of ram i can't fully take advantage of, because cubase 5 isn't fully 64 bit - hence the idea to move on to cubase 7.

But after learning cubase 5 and feeling comfortable with it, my main concern is whether the basic functions are the same (vst connections, set up, recording, editing) and there are some new features - or is everything new and different in cubase 7. Can i pretty much start working with cubase 7 - or will i have to learn everything from the ground up again?

Vermona Perfourmer mkii, Nord Stage 3 76

I am concerned about integration of Cubase and OS X, in particular the "Mission control" technique of window managing and the full screen behaviour.

With Cubase 6.5, as said in the discussion, all the additional windows disappear when Cubase is not in focus, and as a result when activating Mission Control there is no windows to control, and in general Cubase 6.5 do not support full screen:-<.

I would like to use multiple virtual screen to keep full screen VST instruments, the mixer, current editor and project window. This point will be even more important with the changes in handling multiple screens in the next OS X version. So, is Cubase 7 any better in this regards ?

Thanks,

Maurizio

Nord Wave 2, Nord Electro 6D 61,, Rameau upright,  Hammond Pro44H Melodica.

Too many Arturia, NI and AAS plugins

http://www.barbogio.org/

I'm on C7. Like it. I was a Cubase fan in the SX days but then moved to PT and REAPER. A client recently bought C7 for me for compatibility with his studio. It's good to be back (at least for this current project).

I like the mixer and like that there are more keyboard navigation options (vs a mouse). It's not perfect and I read in the Cubase forums that many are sticking with 6.5. [bTW, if you ever take this forum for granted hop over to the Cubase forums to trip the toxic fantastic! They can be an angry bunch.]

I was surprised by how useful Halion is. And of course Cubase does VST Expressions (articulations).

Roland Fantom 06; Yamaha P-125; QSC K10; Cubase 13 Pro; Windows 10

A stupid question, perhaps:

I'm considering upgrading to cubase 7 from cubase 5. My main reason for doing this is because of the 64 bit issue. The cubase 5 j-bridge thing isn't enough. I've been working a lot with kontakt lately, and i can use NI Session Horns Pro, a scarbee bass - and that pretty much fills up the ram capacity. I have 6 GB of ram i can't fully take advantage of, because cubase 5 isn't fully 64 bit - hence the idea to move on to cubase 7.

But after learning cubase 5 and feeling comfortable with it, my main concern is whether the basic functions are the same (vst connections, set up, recording, editing) and there are some new features - or is everything new and different in cubase 7. Can i pretty much start working with cubase 7 - or will i have to learn everything from the ground up again?

Other than the new mixer, it's functionally pretty much the same. I think you'll spend a few moments figuring things out and then you'll be on your way.

Archived