Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Purchased Korg SP280

LarsHarner

Hello, as a long time Korg user I decided to do something completely different and order a product before trying it out!

Normally I will try something out for months (with the exception of the Juno Gi which I purchased 2 days after hearing about it).

I have always loved Korg piano sounds since the days of the C concert series digitals back in the late 1980's. My first Korg product and probably favorite item of all time was the Korg SG Rack; I also owned a Triton Le.

I got a good deal on the piano for $560. It came excellent from my favorite retailer and was packed really well. The keys were evenly spaced, and not taped together as well.

Preordered it- it shipped the 1st and I had it the 3rd or 4th

Many people do not like the NH action, but this version (same one as in the Krome 88) is not spongy. I would say it is comparable to the GHS. I like it; but I am not going to lie and say it is like GH or a Privia action.

The speakers are awesome and I like the piano sounds. Similar number to the SP250 but there is a brilliance setting. There is a grand piano, classic piano, jazz piano and a live piano sound. Then a honky tonk sound and a CP 80!

THere is a rhodes and tremolo Rhodes.

I think the unit sounds much better than the SP250, it is missing RH3 but I have not compared the 2 side by side.

I will say though I loved playing the M50 88.

Unit is a little heavier than the normal slabs, I just put it on an X stand but it comes with 4 legs that slant and bolt into the keyboard. Honestly, I could have done without this and saved some money but it is good to have for the future.

I estimate around 35 pounds (it says 42 with the stand)

They give you a nicer sustain pedal to- kudos for that.

3 Brilliance settings, 3 reverb settings and 3 chorus settings.

Much better than my P95 and I like it more than my P105.

The action is likely better on the PX350 but this is Eq'd better and you hear the bass more.

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I"ve seen them promoting the keyboard split, allowing a teacher and student to play in the same octave side by side.

What I really want to know though is does it function like a more traditional splitting, with one sound on the bottom and different sound on the top?

I have the 250 and over-all I do like it. I really like the wurlitzer piano sound alot.

I prefer the piano 1 bank 2 sound as it is a bit brighter than the default piano.

I also like the smooth changes from one sound to another.

I find the stand quite good and more stable than an X stand. Right now and I have it in front of my ultimate stand. (the ultimate sucks for sitting because the damper pedal is behind the base

I also like the new one allows you to plug instruments in and use the pianos speakers. I miss that on the 250.

Stage: Korg Krome 88.

Home: Korg Kross 61, Yamaha reface CS, Korg SP250, Korg mono/poly Kawai ep 608, Korg m1, Yamaha KX-5

I"ve seen them promoting the keyboard split, allowing a teacher and student to play in the same octave side by side.

What I really want to know though is does it function like a more traditional splitting, with one sound on the bottom and different sound on the top?

I have the 250 and over-all I do like it. I really like the wurlitzer piano sound alot.

I prefer the piano 1 bank 2 sound as it is a bit brighter than the default piano.

I also like the smooth changes from one sound to another.

I find the stand quite good and more stable than an X stand. Right now and I have it in front of my ultimate stand. (the ultimate sucks for sitting because the damper pedal is behind the base

I also like the new one allows you to plug instruments in and use the pianos speakers. I miss that on the 250.

I tried piano and strings briefly, I'll go back and let you know. The ironic thing about the line in is that it is a stereo mini jack plug (coincidentally I have the correct cord that I used to go from PX130 to KRK's, this would be reverse- Korg Krome into SP280)

Archived