Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Favorite Four Stringers

LeftyBlues

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Bass players I love? In no particular order, here are some of my faves:

Jaco Pastorius

John Entwhistle

Chris Squire

Bill Laswell

Bootsy Collins

Jonas Hellborg

Flea

Les Claypool

Jah Wobble

M'Shell N'Degeocello

Geddy Lee

Stu Hamm

Tony Levin

Lemmy

David J

Mark Sandman

Doug Pinnick

Melvin Gibbs

Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: âNinety percent of everything is crapâ

My FLMS- Murphy's Music in Irving, Tx

http://murphysmusictx.com/

Ah, Bill Bruford is one of the best drummers I've ever seen, but I don't know that he plays bass?

I got to see the Who, with Entwistle, a number of times - simply amazing. I have John Wetton on my list, and Nick Karn, Mike Rutherford of Genesis, Jack Bruce, Victor Wooten and Larry Graham. Not everybody I might list, but a few who influenced me, nonetheless.

FWIW, Captain Sensible started out as the bass player for The Damned, but I thought he was much better as a guitarist - either way, he's still one of my heroes.

"Monsters are real, and Ghosts are real too. They live inside us, and sometimes, they win." Stephen King

http://www.novparolo.com

https://thewinstonpsmithproject.bandcamp.com

Ah, Bill Bruford is one of the best drummers I've ever seen, but I don't know that he plays bass?

Ack- brain fart!

I meant to type Tony Levin!

(Correcting that right now- thanks for the catch, WPS!)

Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: âNinety percent of everything is crapâ

Without Entwhistle, I probably wouldn't be a bass player. He's probably my main stylistic influence.

Squire, Lee, McCartney, Bruce & John Paul Jones are other early influences. Rutherford & Wetton are enjoyable, too.

Just to be a nit-picker, Pinnick is a 4-stringer, but got recognized early on as a 12-stringer. Levin is a 3, 4 and 5 stringer (10 + if you include Chapman Stick). I prefer a five, myself.

Other bassists I enjoy:

Pete Trewavas- in 10 more days, I'll be seeing him at the Marillion Weekend in Montreal. He might even stop into Eric Blackwood's solo show to do some Edison's Children tunes with him.

Anthony Sallee (White Heart, Phil Keaggey, Michael W. Smith, sessions)

Jimmy Lee Sloas

Mark Egan

Dave Paton (Fish, sessions)

Trip Wamsley

Jonas Rheingold (The Flower Kings)

Billy Sheehan

Mike Levine (Triumph - always thought he was underrated)

Steve Babb (Glass Hammer)

Dave Mero (Spock's Beard)

Tai Anderson (Third Day)

Gabe Ruschival (Jars of Clay, sessions)

Colin Edwards (Porcupine Tree)

And if anyone wants to make me their favorite four-stringer, I still have some and will gladly play on your sessions.

"Am I enough of a freak to be worth paying to see?"- Separated Out (Marillion)

NEW band Old band

I forgot about Sheehan.

As for Pinnick, I never saw him on anything but a 4 in the early days of King's X. Before or after that, though, I'm clueless. His onstage energy coupled with his skill always blew me away.

Once, wrapping up a King's X show in San Antonio with a monster free-form jam, he was spinning rapidly and got mummified in his cable and fell to the ground.

Didn't miss a single note.

OMG - I love the bass players who kill it!

Marcus Miller

Pino Palladino

Mark King

Bootsy Collins

Doug Wimbish

Rocco Prestia

Verdine White

Billy Bass Nelson

John Norwood Fisher

Flea

Colin Edwards

Billy Sheehan

Jaco Pastorius

Stu Hamm

Jonas Hellborg

Greg Lake

Tom Kennedy

Jimmy Johnson

Ric Fierabracci

John Myung

Philip Bynoe

Dave LaRue

Juan Alderete

Rufus Philpot

Dirk Lance

Doug Shreeve

Bernard Odum

David Hungate

Nathan Watts

Tim Bogert

Victor Wooten

and finally my favorite to look at: Tal Wilkenfeld

I will be editing for more! Forever!

You've all listed the ones who'd be on MY list.

The only additions I might add would be:

Nils Pederson(sic)

Eberhard Weber

(note: the above mostly known for STAND UP bass, if that can count)

Stanley Clarke

Ralphe Armstrong

Fernando Saunders

Mark Andes

Tommy Shannon

At first, when seeing the thread's title, I though you were referring to TENOR guitarists, like:

Tiny Grimes

Ed Condon

Eddie lang

Whitefang

I started out with NOTHING...and I still have most of it left!

+1 Fang, on 4 string guitars being the direction I thought the title bar was heading until I read the names in the OP. I love bass players, just can't remember them by name other the Donald Duck Jones? As for 4 string guitarists, I would have no suggestions in this specialty either. I'm sure there are some great ones...
Take care, Larryz

I think Chris Hillman did some beautiful bass work with the Byrds. Of course, he's a lot more than just a bass player.

Naturally I love that Motown genius, James Jamerson, and a lot of the other guys already mentioned.

There are lots of great acoustic bassists, too, like Ron Carter and Paul Chambers with Miles; oh, and Charles Mingus wasn't too shabby....

And Bach wrote some great bass lines..

I have her two solo albums- she simply kicks ass! Should have been in my initial list...

Another I'm ashamed to have forgotten: Gail Ann Dorsey. Some of you might know her as that other shaved-headed black woman who plays bass...but she's actually been around quite a while.

FYI- Esperanza Spalding also plays fretless electric bass on "Radio Music Society" her most recent album.

Gail Ann Dorsey is a great singer and bass player:

Gail Ann Dorsey YouTube page

Abby Travis has played bass with KMFDM, Masters of Reality, the Bangles, and others. Her solo album "Glittermouth" is a great overview of her singing and playing.

"Call me what instrument you will, though you can fret me, yet you cannot play upon me.'-Hamlet

Guitar solos last 30 seconds, the bass line lasts for the whole song.

Funny thing( not funny "ha-ha"), I've heard many a woman play outstanding guitar, both solo lead AND rhythm( personally, nobody any of you might have heard of), plus bass as well.

I wonder why the list of "outstanding" rock and jazz female guitarists making recorded music or becoming "guitar heroines" isn't a whole lot longer than...non-existant?

Whitefang

I started out with NOTHING...and I still have most of it left!

Archived