Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

iPad MIDI sequencing apps?

igirl

I hope this is the right forum for this...

I'm looking for a bare bones multitrack MIDI sequencing app - Free would be nice but I'll pay if it's compelling enough...

This is used for simple songwriting and music production.

All I want is -

* Record one MIDI channel/track at a time in real time - as many as you want - or at least 8 track/channels with bounce/merge capability.

* Playback on multiple assignable MIDI channels

* "Patch Through" - so for instance - input keyboard transmits on CH1, and I want to play/record/patch through to a sound on CH2 on another MIDI Instrument.

* Editing of things list CC info, program change, quantize etc. is nice

I bought one of the very first software MIDI sequencers ever made (5.25" Floppies and 4 tracks! lol) and used it on an Apple IIe in the early 80s. I've owned MOTU Performer ever since it was v1.0!

But all I'm asking for is back to basics on the iPad hopefully.

MIDI, not audio - not a DAW - audio as a free extra is OK.

Not pattern based sequencing, step sequencing, beats, loops, grooves, samples, chunks, blobs or any of that other silliness.

No proprietary hardware required - Record and playback MIDI via a camera kit connection + MIDI/USB cable

Record MIDI IN (1 or more channels)

Assign channels/patch change out and Playback tracks via MIDI OUT (16 channels)

Simple? Thanks in advance for ideas.

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Simple? Yes, but...

I don't think we're quite there yet. You want the power and flexibility found in a DAW but on the iPad and free. Me too! First, let's take free out of the equation, which it sounds like you're willing to do.

Interoperability is the name of the game. Because you mentioned the CCK I'm assuming you want to sequence external devices (as opposed to sequencing other apps?). Check out Cubasis - Steinberg's LIMITED port of Cubase. Far from free but it does record and play back MIDI to the outside world. I don't know about CC editing though.

The other one to check is NanoStudio. It can record MIDI but only route it to it's built-in instruments (not really what you want). CC data can be edited.

I messed with some of this stuff. Seems like we're a couple years away from seamless integration. I'm far from an expert. Just my experiences so far in looking for the same thing.

Roland Fantom 06; Yamaha P-125; QSC K10; Cubase 13 Pro; Windows 10

This one looks promising: Music Studio

"Virtual MIDI" - what the heck is THAT?

It looks like it plays it's own internal sounds - but may not send MIDI out on assignable channels, which is kind of what I was looking for.

"Muted tracks can now be sent to MIDI OUT" - or maybe it does? hmmm

Simple? Yes, but...

I don't think we're quite there yet. You want the power and flexibility found in a DAW but on the iPad and free.

No no no - I specifically said I do NOT want a DAW. Just a bare bones sequencer.

Play sound on CH1 of a 16CH MIDI keyboard and record a track.

Play sound on CH2 of a 16CH MIDI keyboard - record a second track whilst monitoring the first (being played back via MIDI OUT of the iPad).

Rinse, lather repeat.

The thing is - it should be the absolute simplest thing on earth to do - yet all the "apps" have gone nuts with sounds, effects on and on - because they are aimed at people who do not own instruments. (not musicians)

Instead - it's far more common to record actual multi-track audio on the iPad and leave MIDI out of the software entirely. That's completely backwards from how things originally developed - but maybe that's just the way to go these days anyway. I do know I cursed myself for doing MIDI tracks only in many works long ago and then wanting to remaster later! The gear and patches/samples were long gone.

I did just find this one - Synergy "Synergy includes MIDI implementation enabling you to interact with MIDI hardware, such as Synths and Samplers creating a powerful live tool." Whatever THAT means. :crazy:

Otherwise might as well use GarageBand then. :laugh:

Yes. I understand you don't want a DAW. I was simply saying you want the MIDI power and flexibility *found* in most DAWs. And that what you want I don't believe exists (yet). Anyway...

Virtual MIDI is used to send MIDI between apps in iOS, not the outside world.

Take a look at the screen shots for Synergy. It looks more like a grid-based sequencer. Old school. You want more of a MIDI *recorder*.

Yeah, there are possible ways (like Cubasis) but not as elegant or simple as you describe.

Roland Fantom 06; Yamaha P-125; QSC K10; Cubase 13 Pro; Windows 10

Yes. I understand you don't want a DAW. I was simply saying you want the MIDI power and flexibility *found* in most DAWs. And that what you want I don't believe exists (yet).

Gotcha! I"m not sure it's even something App developers want to create - when they can sell bells and whistles in massive numbers instead.

Another one I found - Meteor - Looks like it might actually xmit MIDI. It also, however looks like it's LOADED with surprise "extra" In-App charges - like if you wanted to Edit Midi - Extra. Effects? Extra. Etc.

http://www.karenengel.com/img/s2/v70/p1475960368-5.jpg

It looks like it plays it's own internal sounds - but may not send MIDI out on assignable channels, which is kind of what I was looking for.

From Music Studio's website:

For MIDI cables like the Line 6 MIDI Mobilizer or any USB MIDI adapter cable, connect the MIDI IN port to any keyboards MIDI OUT port, and vice versa. Every key that you press on the hardware keyboard can be received by Music Studio and every note played by Music Studio can be received by the external keyboard, depending on the channel and port settings in the hardware setup.

Boards: Kurzweil SP-6, Roland FA-08, VR-09, DeepMind 12

Modules: Korg Radias, Roland D-05, Bk7-m & Sonic Cell

Archived