Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

7 months since moving across the country to pursue music

scottasin

If ya don't remember, I'm 21 years old (I was 20 when I moved), and I up and moved with my band to Fort Collins Colorado in August. So far, I'm having a great time, and I think things are going pretty well. However, I'm looking at it from the perspective of someone doing this for the first time, and I'm sure there's a lot of you who have done just this, and I'm just looking for your thoughts on our progress.

Our biggest change has been switching the bass player we moved out with to guitar and picking up an old friend of ours who already lived out here on bass. This was great, not only because he's a great bass player and has awesome chemistry with our drummer, but also because he had connections in the scene out here. He started out booking our shows, which were understandably in front of no one, but at pretty well known venues. After a few of those, we picked up a booking agent, who has done a decent job of pairing us up with local bands that will draw a crowd that would like us. We also played a first year festival down in El Paso New Mexico, which although a money losing venture, was one of the best weekends I've had in my life, and we're still great friends with the people who traveled down with us.

We've been keeping a steady pace of 4-9 shows a month, trying to play opening for bands with a guaranteed crowd, since we're relatively unheard of. In December we were contacted by a promotion and booking company after what we considered a pretty lackluster show. We didn't really make any commitments with them since we were worried about more immediate things, like our 3 day run on I-80 leading back to a holiday show in our home town. Our shows in Lincoln Nebraska and Chicago were surprising successes, and we're definitely gonna play each of them every time we travel back from now on. Our hometown show was amazing (and I've got a couple videos I'll link up later from it), we sold out the venue with a line of people around the block. Next time, we're gonna charge $10 when we play there instead of $5.

When we got back to Colorado, we had our first actual shows in Fort Collins, and our first shows returning to venues we'd already played. Our first show in FoCo brought in maybe 20 people, which is decent given that we hardly know anyone, and it was our openers first show ever (they turned out to be really talented though, and we've played with 'em since). At our first return show in Boulder, we actually had fans there to see us and no one else, it was really cool. Each of our shows though, we've been pretty consistently getting more and more people. We also started working with the promotion company (MusicMarauders Management and Publicity), who have done a good amount from what I can tell to help get us in front of crowds. They put on a lot of national acts shows, so pretty soon here we'll get a slot opening for someone with a guaranteed large crowd. We also booked FoCo Music Experiment for 8 pm on friday night at the biggest venue in town, which is a guaranteed 600 people in our hometown to play in front of. Another show we're looking forward to is opening for Fareed Haque's MathGames. I never really knew of Fareed, but he's the musical hero of one of our guitarrists, so its still very exciting.

Musically, we've been working on generally just tightening our sound and sort of easing it back a bit, as it was a bit 'too many notes'-ey before. We are also working on recording 5 songs in our basement, we've got 3 recorded and starting to mix with 2 to go, and I think they sound great. Finally, we have one really tough thing coming up, which is confronting one of our guitarists to tell him we need him to play a more rhythmic role, for the good of the sound.

Here's a few videos of our stuff and some links to check our stuff out, let me know what you think of the music itself

https://www.facebook.com/GeneticsGR

Anyways, for people who've been there, how's it seem to you? To me, just the reactions we've been getting from the bands we're playing with and the sound of the other bands in our scene, I think we're only going to go up. There's really a lot of bands out here that just aren't very good that play to huge crowds. Its on us to do the work to get the crowds, but we're gonna do it.

(Oh, and at the moment, I can't afford lessons, but I'm doing all the learning I can from Youtube and a metronome...)

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've not been there, but it seems like you guys are working hard, making connections, and going after it. Also, it sounds like you're having fun, too. You're making an effort to get better both as a band and individually (at least you are, hopefully your bandmates are too), and that's great.

Who knows where it will take you, but enjoy the ride. :thu:

Besides the shows, do you guys sell any merch to make money? How do you do your promotion? Do you work what crowds you get, engage your potential fans? There are lots of things you can do in these regards to make some money and build loyalty and your fanbase.

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

I only had time to read this quickly and listen to one of those crusty youtube recordings so far. Genetics at Billies 5. Crust and all that's some good $#!t. Solid groove and solid playing all around. The fun and the attitude is totally contagious.

You inspire me.

--wmp

Checked out the links, you guys seem to be doing it well, good tunes, solid playing and people dig it! Good job! Back when I was touring, 2000-2008, we'd hit Denver/Boulder at least once a year, and sometimes the ski areas in the winter. Fun times, seems like there's still an appreciation for live music out there. Keep up the good work!

Turn up the speaker

Hop, flop, squawk

It's a keeper

-Captain Beefheart, Ice Cream for Crow

Excellent work Scott. :thu:

The band sounds very good. Definitely keep that drummer. His stick work is nice.

In fact, keeping the band intact, I think you all will be playing Bonnaroo in less than 3 years. :cool:

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

Excellent work Scott. :thu:

The band sounds very good. Definitely keep that drummer. His stick work is nice.

In fact, keeping the band intact, I think you all will be playing Bonnaroo in less than 3 years. :cool:

:thu: I suspect so, too. I live in the area; will have to get out and see the band on a night that I'm free. Great work, Scott !

'Someday, we'll look back on these days and laugh; likely a maniacal laugh from our padded cells, but a laugh nonetheless' - Mr. Boffo.

We need a barfing cat emoticon!

thanks for reading guys, glad to hear things are sounding good from a 3rd party... I never really trust myself.

I've not been there, but it seems like you guys are working hard, making connections, and going after it. Also, it sounds like you're having fun, too. You're making an effort to get better both as a band and individually (at least you are, hopefully your bandmates are too), and that's great.

Who knows where it will take you, but enjoy the ride. :thu:

Besides the shows, do you guys sell any merch to make money? How do you do your promotion? Do you work what crowds you get, engage your potential fans? There are lots of things you can do in these regards to make some money and build loyalty and your fanbase.

We don't have any merch yet, we haven't had the money to make the initial investment for merch yet, but we're planning on it. For promotion, we haven't done too much off the internet, but we've been doing everything we can on Facebook to get the word out, as well as Reverbnation, Reddit and a couple local music forums. For one of our local shows we got the money together for a set of posters and plastered the town. There's not a chance you live in Fort Collins and haven't heard or read our name. Unfortunately, that was for a Wednesday night show and it also happened to snow that night, so we didn't get much turnout for it, but the name's getting out there. So far we can pull maybe 40 people on a good night in Fort Collins, and 20 or 30 people in Boulder and Denver... Its not a ton, but we're gettin there steadily, and after we play a few big crowds we oughtta be good to go. We're working on our stage presence, its honestly not very good at this point, but we're focusing on it...

Also, we launched our website today, check it out

http://geneticsmusic.com/

Archived