Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

OT: Just sold my 2003 Gibson Faded SG

desertbluesman

Just sold my 2003 Gibson Faded SG, got what I wanted. It took 2 years but I got'er done. The buyer got one of the finest instruments I have ever owned, not for looks but for trueness, no high or low frets no weird under/overtones. Ebony fingerboard. Just perfect. Not my favorite guitar, not because it sounded bad, it sounded great. Not my favorite because I like a longer scale guitar with one volume and tone control more accessible than the Gibson style of tone/volume controls.

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Cool, nice to hear you got your asking price. I recently sold my '98 Anderson - same story. It took over a year, which included an ebay listing and 2 or 3 relistings on craigslist. Everyone's looking to lowball...nothing wrong with that in general, but frustrating nontheless.

It's nice to be in a position where you don't need the money, just need to cull the collection a bit...

My ears are haunted.

+1 Whitefang, I think it's right on topic...

+1 DBM, I really like one volume and one tone control on my electrics that are wired straight up...on the acoustic/electrics, I like the Taylor two tone knob Expression System set up as they are more of an EQ than simple tone controls, adjusting highs and lows separately (even though they drain the battery much faster than normal acoustics. ie. 30hrs vs a couple years or so).

Take care, Larryz

Hey Dave, I sold mine several years back as well if you remember to the guy that was out near California.

He got a good deal.

Still, it was a great guitar and sounded great....I'm just a Fender man and stopped trying to wear too many hats and jack of all trades.

Those SG's are nice though.

"Just play!"

My next guitar will be an SG. Although I'll never sell it, my LP seems to be gaining weight...

I think I can get similar tones with the SG and it'll hang much lighter.

SEHpicker

The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." George Orwell

I just sold my Les Paul Custom a few months back, just too heavy for my old bones, plus at 70 years old, I am cutting down on my quiver a bit, my goal is to get down to 4 guitars, 3 electrics and one acoustic.

Now the Philip Petillo Custom made is in the sales department. Have to photo it and list it on Craigslist.

That`s interesting, I`m thinking about selling my Edwards LP even though I`ve hardly played it. Same situation, nothing wrong with the guitar at all. Just that, for some reason I`ve never owned a three single pickup guitar. I go to the shops or look online and just drool over some of what I see.

Same old surprises, brand new cliches-

Skipsounds on Soundclick:

www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandid=602491

Hey Skip, be careful....once you buy a 3 single coil Strat, you'll be hooked! :rawk:

Over the years I've owned 3 Les Pauls, an SG, and an Ibanez...along with many Strats and a Tele.

The Strats and Tele is all I have left, one for 23 years now.

Strats are just the Jack of all Trades guitars and it's hard to find a bad tone in their arsenal.

Enjoy. :)

Randy

"Just play!"

I prefer the longer 25-1/2" scale guitars with full sized humbucking pups. I never liked the Strats or Tele's that much myself. I have one Strat Clone with Fender Noiseless pups in it, but it is my least favorite guitar truthfully. However of course there are guys that can eek out amazing tones from a Tele or Strat, several of my favorite players used those guitars and astound with tone.

If I'm not playing a Taylor, I'm playing a Strat...I still like the Strat the best. I sold my Tele's but won't discount their sound as they can be a real mainliner especially in the country rock genre. I must admit LP's, SG's and 335's sound great too. I still miss my old 70's LP Deluxe...
Take care, Larryz

Hey Skip, be careful....once you buy a 3 single coil Strat, you'll be hooked! :rawk:

Over the years I've owned 3 Les Pauls, an SG, and an Ibanez...along with many Strats and a Tele.

The Strats and Tele is all I have left, one for 23 years now.

Strats are just the Jack of all Trades guitars and it's hard to find a bad tone in their arsenal.

Enjoy. :)

Randy

Randy I had a `69 custom shop Strat on loan from a friend for like two years, got the bug big time. Still, thanks for the warning *v*

I love what some people do with SGs and Teles but never warmed to either myself.

Might as well include a pic:

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a236/skipclone1/whiteguitar.jpg

Same old surprises, brand new cliches-

Skipsounds on Soundclick:

www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandid=602491

Archived