Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Need suggestion for new tune to learn intermediate/advanced

kwyn

So I'm gettin stale. Can anyone recommend a new tune, no too difficult, yet impressive sounding and something that most people know? Rock.

I'm an intermediate player. Maybe advanced in some regards. I have mostly learned from video tutorials, so links to those would be nice too.

Thanks in advance for serious recommendations!!

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The problem with your situation is that the impressive-sounding songs generally tend to be more challenging to play than the intermediate stuff. In what regard do you feel your abilities are advanced?

Foreplay? Sounds harder than it really is, IMO. Basically, just 2-3 different patterns. Start slow....

If this is too difficult, dare I say.....Jump?

The piano outro to Layla is probably around intermediate ability yet impressive sounding/recognizable.

I'm sure others here will have some good suggestions!

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing."

- George Bernard Shaw

The problem with your situation is that the impressive-sounding songs generally tend to be more challenging to play than the intermediate stuff. In what regard do you feel your abilities are advanced?

Foreplay? Sounds harder than it really is, IMO. Basically, just 2-3 different patterns. Start slow....

If this is too difficult, dare I say.....Jump?

The piano outro to Layla is probably around intermediate ability yet impressive sounding/recognizable.

I'm sure others here will have some good suggestions!

I guess advanced in that I was able to learn to play a pretty complex version of Misty working with a video tutorial.

I can do the Layla outro and I find myself doing it a lot. I think it was pretty easy to learn for me (again from a video tutorial) but I can't remember cause it was so long ago. I play it without thinking about it anymore.

I'll listen to foreplay again. Haven't heard it in years, but I'm thinking it may be too hard for me.

Yeah. Jump I learned pretty easily. :)

Thanks for the response!

Journey - open arms, who's crying now

Styx - best of times

Supertramp - goodbye stranger, logical song

Kansas - carry on

Queen - bohemian rhapsody

Toto - 99, Loraine, hold the line (that one's pretty easy)

Just about any Billy Joel and Elton John

Van Halen - Right Now

I wouldn't call any of those advanced, but most are either really recognizable or sound good compared to the difficulty level.

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

I'll listen to foreplay again. Haven't heard it in years, but I'm thinking it may be too hard for me.

Don't be afraid to challenge yourself!

A problem with variables measured on ordinal scales (e.g., Beginner, Intermediate, Advanced) is that each of these ranks can mean different things to different people. Providing us with more songs that you currently play may give us more of a metric for our suggestions.

Roll With the Changes (REO)?

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing."

- George Bernard Shaw

The first rock organ solo I copped was Evil Ways by Santana. I found it to be a good intermediate-level tune to develop improv skills, as well.

- George Bernard Shaw

Ok. Good suggestions.

Songs I can currently play

Layla outtro in C

Most 3 chord rock stuff: sympathy for the devil, sweet home (some of the solo is too hard right now)

I can play some jazzy arrangements of misty and Georgia on my mind based on Video tutorials from Willie myette

Hmmm... I mostly sit down and jam blues. I pretty efficient with blues/pent scales in c,d,e,f,g,a a little in Bb

Does that help show where I'm at?

The first rock organ solo I copped was Evil Ways by Santana. I found it to be a good intermediate-level tune to develop improv skills, as well.

Yeah. I actually did this tune with a cover band ages ago. I didn't cop the solo as my ear wasn't that good but I was able to improvise my own using G minor pent scale.

Never Been Any Reason - Head East

Roundabout - Yes

Roll With The Changes - REO Speedwagon

Viva la Vida - Coldplay

(I Just) Died in Your Arms - Cutting Crew

Rosanna - Tota

..Joe

Setup: Korg Kronos 61, Roland XV-88, Korg Triton-Rack, Motif-Rack, Korg N1r, Alesis QSR, Roland M-GS64 Yamaha KX-88, KX76, Roland Super-JX, E-Mu Longboard 61, Kawai K1II, Kawai K4.

Archived