Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Wireless midi + GAS

dalpozlead

Recently sold my kurzweil PC2R and now I have a empty rack space... GAS keeps me searching for other gear to replace the slot...

I was thinking about investing in wireless midi.

Anyony using this to reduce cables in a rig? Maybe i can find something rack-related?

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I use the MIDIjet Pro system, for stroll around with my AX Synth which triggers my Nord Wave.

It's bulletproof, lasts a long time on a set of batteries (only the tx is batteries, for now the receiver resides in my rack on AC adapter), has never had a glitch.

But unless you're going walkabout, I wouldn't spend that kind of cheddar just to cut down on the rat's nest. That goes in my category of first-world ways to waste money. Go get a neo ventilator, a Novation mini nova, or an Arturia Spark LE, or....

just my 0.02

Recently sold my kurzweil PC2R and now I have a empty rack space... GAS keeps me searching for other gear to replace the slot...

I was thinking about investing in wireless midi.

Anyony using this to reduce cables in a rig? Maybe i can find something rack-related?

I had a company make me a custom snake to get rid of my "rats nest."

It's a four channel snake: two audio and two MIDI. 25feet long.

Reduces all clutter and hooking up at gig is simple.

http://i253.photobucket.com/albums/hh58/escaperocks1/cable2.jpg

No tangled web of cables :

http://i253.photobucket.com/albums/hh58/escaperocks1/snake1.jpg

The rack side of things:

http://i253.photobucket.com/albums/hh58/escaperocks1/snake2.jpg

David

Gig Rig:Casio Privia PX-5S | Yamaha MODX+ 6 | MacBook Pro 14" M1| Mainstage

Hardwire anything that doesn't need to move around. I use a cheapo M-Audio wireless MIDI unit with my AX Synth - but anything that sits on a stand is hardwired. Like EscapeRocks - I'm using a custom snake cable for all the connections between m keyboards and my keyboard rack. Mine is 8 channels (4 channels of TRS/TRS connectors for the L&R outputs of my two keyboards, 4 channels of MIDI/MIDI for the MIDI IN and OUT of each of my two keyboards). The MIDI connections all go to a MOTU MidiExpressXT interface in my keyboard rack. The custom cables go a long way in making setup quicker - as well as help eliminate the"spaghetti" factor.
The SpaceNorman :freak:

David (EscapeRocks) wrote: I had a company make me a custom snake to get rid of my "rats nest." It's a four channel snake: two audio and two MIDI. 25feet long.

David... about how much did the custom snake cost? Could you provide the vendor name?

Cz... aka Chuck Czerny

Kurz PC-88MX, Axiom 64, Roland SD-50, Proteus 2000/B3, Legacy rack modules

Sonar Platinum, Cantabile, BIAB, VB3, Kontakt5, Tons of VST's

David... about how much did the custom snake cost? Could you provide the vendor name?

I'm not David - but www.Redco.com will build you a custom snake to your specs. They've got an online "configuration" tool that will let you "build" your snake online and get a ball park price. My 8 channel snake - constructed from a 25' length of Mogami multi-channel cable was roughly $250. That works out to roughly $30 per 25 foot cable. It's a premium - but well worth it considering the difference it makes in eliminating multiple individual cables. Mine coils up and "lives" in 1u of unused rack space at the bottom of my keyboard rack for storage and transport. The connections on the rack end of the snake are "permanently" pre-wired.

Take the time upfront and figure out exactly what lengths you need for the leads on the "keyboard" end of the snake. If you provide Redco with a simple drawing that specifies the lengths - they'll build it exactly like you want it. I have two keyboard - one with all the jacks located on the right side of the board, the other with all the jacks located in the center. I specified custom lead lengths so that the connectors route straight to the keyboard jacks with virtual no excess cable length. It's as clean as it gets.

The SpaceNorman :freak:

Archived