Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

EV ZXA-1 Buzzing in low notes

Santa

Hi, I just bought one of these as a monitor and also as a Keyboard amp for small gigs. My main axe is a Nord Stage ex. I play left-hand bass so in most cases I have a bass sound going on the left side layered on top of organ, piano or synth sounds.

Above a certain "moderate" level, the ZXA-1 will buzz when I play certain notes in the bass range (approx from the 1st G on a 88-keyboard and the next half-octave). Note that with just a regular piano sound (no bass layered on top), I don't get this buzzing.

I tried unscrewing the grill and tightening the screws on the speakers, I felt the cabinet everywhere to find the source of the buzz, to no avail.

Last week I had my dad's Yamaha Stagepas 150, and it seemed to be able to handle louder levels without buzzing. Unfortunately cannot do a side-by-side.

Could I have gotten a defective unit of the ZXA-1or is this normal?

I'm thinking of bringing the EV back to the store and exchanging for either a Yamaha MSR 250 or for a QSC Q8. Should I expect similar results?

FWIW, I also have a pair of QSC K12 (for other purposes). But sound-wise I prefer the EV which tends to be much clearer to my ears.

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I play left hand bass guitar parts when our bassist plays acoustic guitar and no problems.

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

I think if your trying a Moog style bass you will have some buzzing - maybe you should adjust the eq on your Nord?

That being said, I busted an element in one of my ZX-A1:s, probably by doing just that - playing synth bass really loud. The good news is the warranty covered the replacement(!). The crew at my local store were just as surprised as I was.

I think that if you're playing powerful bass sounds loud you will bust your speaker sooner or later. There is only so much bass a small speaker like this can take.

I am thinking about getting a ZXA1-sub to go with my ZX-A1:s. I think that will make them sound sligthly better and also prolong their life span. :)

Nord Stage 3 sw73, Yamaha CP88, KeyB Legend Live, Kurzweil PC3K7, EV ZXa1 + sub. K&M stands, Hammond E112, Leslie 3300, EHX V256, Roland SE-02, Yamaha EX5R & TG77, Novation Nova desktop & much more...

Is your ZX mounted on a pole stand? I had a similar experience. Playing organ and piano in a blues band I didn't notice any buzz at all. My twin ZX-A1's behind me, slightly elevated on milk crates in the floor monitor position. Then I reconfigured them for a solo date where I would be playing left-hand acoustic bass and they would be serving as the mains up on poles. I popped the grills, rotated the horn, put 'em back together and mounted them on the poles for a quick test. Suddenly things had turned very buzzy. I assumed I had failed to tight a screw on one of the horns. Nope. All snug. Then the "Duh-oh!"moment. I never tightened those tiny set screws for the pole mount. Snugged those up and buzz be gone. I'll probably replace them with thumb screws just so I don't have to deal with a screw driver for every set-up and strike, but tightening them definitely killed my buzz - so to speak...

Hammond SK1, Casio Privia PX5-S, SpaceStation V.3, Behringer B1200D, 2-EV ZxA1s

MacBook Air, Novation ReMOTE 37SL, Logic, Pianoteq 5 Stage, Scarbee Vintage Keys

The MIDI Gizmo Museum!

I had some buzz in mine that was coming from a screw rattling. Somewhere towards the bottom there is a little gold/brass threaded hole with a small screw/threaded plug in it. I'm not even sure what that is for, but I took out the little screw and have never had any rattling since.

I had some buzz in mine that was coming from a screw rattling. Somewhere towards the bottom there is a little gold/brass threaded hole with a small screw/threaded plug in it. I'm not even sure what that is for, but I took out the little screw and have never had any rattling since.

That's the one I'm talking about.

Hammond SK1, Casio Privia PX5-S, SpaceStation V.3, Behringer B1200D, 2-EV ZxA1s

MacBook Air, Novation ReMOTE 37SL, Logic, Pianoteq 5 Stage, Scarbee Vintage Keys

The MIDI Gizmo Museum!

• 1 year later...

I know it's an old thread. Got an EV ZX1 today.

Hiss - I noticed the slight hiss mentioned on another thread. It stays the same at all volumes and is not an issue unless you're very close to the speaker.

Buzz - the buzz however, from F below middle C and on down - ouch.

Really bad with the electric piano sound - not so bad with the acoustic piano.

It's away back to the shop. I like buying from my local shop but that meant it I didn't have a chance to try it out. All they could do was source one and order it in.

I hope it's just a faulty unit that needs replaced because other than the buzz - it sounded great for piano / epiano - and so light and compact.

I'm the piano player "off of" Borrowed Books.

Update for future searchers thinking about getting one of these.

SHORT VERSION

I've kept it and intend to get another.

LONG VERSION

The rattle.

The "rattle" went when the screw was removed (see posts above). I've just put the screw back in and screwed it further into the hole - and the rattle hasn't come back.

This rattle I'm referring to was substantial - you couldn't miss it. Sounded like the speaker grill was vibrating.

The hiss.

Yes the hiss is noticible. My Behringer B210D is almost silent in comparison. You couldn't use a pair of ZXA1 at home (like nearfield studio monitors - something I'd been considering). You won't notice the hiss live. You can't hear it from more than a few feet away.

There's a little bloom or fizz - very short just after the attack and it quickly decays - when I use the acoustic piano sound. Probably only a keyboard player would notice it. It's not there for the EPs, organs, synths - or when I play recorded music through it. It's not in the audio. I did wonder if it was in the piano sample but it's not in the headphones. I think something physical is still vibrating - just a little. It doesn't get louder when I increase the volume.

Sound quality

Very good - as others on here have said many times.

I'm the piano player "off of" Borrowed Books.

Archived