Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

yamaha cp-70 question...

rockkeys

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There were three models in the product's lifetime... the original CP70 (73-note keyboard) which was superceded by the CP70B (with balanced outputs) and the CP80 (a full 88-note keyboard version).

There was also the CP70M and 80M which had MIDI.

Yamaha CP70B;Roland XP30/AXSynth/Fantom/FA76/XR;Hammond XK3C SK2; Korg Kronos 73;ProSoloist Rack+; ARP ProSoloist; Mellotron M4000D; GEM Promega2; Hohner Pianet N, Roland V-Grand,Voyager XL, RMI

IIRC, the CP70B and CP80 have an AC adapter input and power switch together on the side of the case...the 70B/80 power input looks like an XLR. The CP70 didn't have the switch there.

Korg Kronos 61 (2); Roland Fantom-06, 2015 Macbook Pro and 2012 Mac Mini (Logic Pro X and Mainstage), GigPerformer 4.

This brochure shows the CP70B/80 power supply/switch panel:

http://www.joehungry.com/wp-images/page5_CP70.jpg

The "B" in CP70B is for "balanced" so this pic might also help:

http://i205.photobucket.com/albums/bb122/willshipworldwide/05-16-11/05-12201.jpg

Korg Kronos 61 (2); Roland Fantom-06, 2015 Macbook Pro and 2012 Mac Mini (Logic Pro X and Mainstage), GigPerformer 4.

Here's mine............it's a B

http://i342.photobucket.com/albums/o430/alanjpearson/CP70B/CP701.jpg

Yamaha CP70B;Roland XP30/AXSynth/Fantom/FA76/XR;Hammond XK3C SK2; Korg Kronos 73;ProSoloist Rack+; ARP ProSoloist; Mellotron M4000D; GEM Promega2; Hohner Pianet N, Roland V-Grand,Voyager XL, RMI

I thought the b just stood for "burns longer" when you finally realize the best way to treat one of those things.

Doesn't explain why yours is still in the garage. What are you waiting for?

I live downtown, we have burn restrictions.

I gotta say, I am interested in having mine converted to a CP-70t. Any tips Moe?

A ROMpler is just a polyphonic turntable.

I want to see whatever you do to it, and the long list of guys pleading you to give it to them first before you do.

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

There were two different versions of the CP-70B. I had the early version with balanced outputs (thus the B), but with internal power supply and standard 3-prong power cable. A friend of mine had the later model, with the external power supply that kept frying whenver left plugged in, and cost $100 (a lot of money back in 1980.)

The reason for the external PS was allegedly to reduce hum.

I thought the b just stood for "burns longer" when you finally realize the best way to treat one of those things.

Doesn't explain why yours is still in the garage. What are you waiting for?

I live downtown, we have burn restrictions.

I gotta say, I am interested in having mine converted to a CP-70t. Any tips Moe?

Ask David Letterman.

AvantGrand N2 | ES520 | Gallien-Krueger MK & MP | https://soundcloud.com/pete36251

There were two different versions of the CP-70B. I had the early version with balanced outputs (thus the B), but with internal power supply and standard 3-prong power cable.

that's the same version I had. There was no "B" on the serial faceplate on the bottom, but it had balanced outs. I sold it 2 years ago as it was evolving into a "T" and I needed to get something for it financially before the evolution was completed.

:nopity:

It sounds too nice to play the Blues on it........... :laugh:

There were two different versions of the CP-70B. I had the early version with balanced outputs (thus the B), but with internal power supply and standard 3-prong power cable.

that's the same version I had. There was no "B" on the serial faceplate on the bottom, but it had balanced outs. I sold it 2 years ago as it was evolving into a "T" and I needed to get something for it financially before the evolution was completed.

Good point! Mine didn't have a B anywhere. I'd always assumed it was the original CP70, but a Yamaha employee who was involved at the time cleared it up for me.

It was a great piano for me for two decades, but I admit I was glad to see the backside of it when I donated it to a church. I've no use for CP70 samples either, other than for a (mixed emotion) trip down memory lane.

But I did play it side by side with early digital pianos, and the difference in dynamic range was huge. It'd make the digitals sound like toys in comparison. That was until about 1997.

I sure lusted for one of those around 1980. My recollection is they were almost $4K at the time. A crazy amount of money now, let alone in 1980.

I worked MI retail in the mid-80's in San Diego with a guy that worked for Guitar Center in the late 70's and early 80's in LA. He told me it was amazing how many of these they sold to keyboard players that often purchased a Prophet 5 at the same time. That's almost a $10K purchase, again, in 1980 dollars! Using the inflation calculator, that's a $27K purchase now. I can't imagine how people could afford it then...

I wish I had bought the OBXa instead.

Triton Extreme 76, Kawai ES3, GEM-RPX, HX3/Drawbar control, MSI Z97

MPower/4790K, Lynx Aurora 8/MADI/AES16e, OP-X PRO, Ptec, Komplete.

Ashley MX-206. future MOTU M64 RME Digiface Dante for Mon./net

Finally, you're going to plant some tomatoes...

What we record in life, echoes in eternity.

Yamaha Montage M7, Nord Electro 6D, Hammond XK1c, Dave Smith PolyEvolver & Rack, Moog Voyager,  Modal Cobalt 8X, Univox MiniKorg.

https://www.abandoned-film.com

I sure lusted for one of those around 1980. My recollection is they were almost $4K at the time. A crazy amount of money now, let alone in 1980.
Yeah, -- half the price of a decent car. When I got mine, there was still a waiting list for new ones at $4K. I was recently out of school, with a great job paying about $16K/yr. No way I could afford 1/4 of my pre-tax income for an instrument!

But I was living cheap (still living like a student, driving a $350 beater, etc) and saving up money. One day I walked into Music Mart in Ann Arbor and saw a beat-to-hell one lying in pieces all over the floor. I immediately asked "Does it work?" They said "Yes". I said "How much?" Answer: $2500. I wrote a check. In retrospect, I probably could have talked them down $500, or required that they fix the broken cover screws & latches, but it really WAS sound inside: all felts good, action perfect, one broken string. But I didn't want the chance to get it slip away.

I've never spent that much on an instrument or piece of music gear since, but I don't think I've ever gotten as much for my money either. It was great to have a piano-ish instrument with a real grand action to play at home, and my playing improved dramatically in the next couple years.

The previous owner was in a top-40/rock band and had traded the CP70 for a Polymoog. :laugh:

Anyone know of a source for cp-70b power supplies/sustain pedals?

It's easy to build one - just replace the connector in the piano with a regular 3 pin DIN socket - buy a modern DC walwart, fit the DIN connector and away you go.

He told me it was amazing how many of these they sold to keyboard players that often purchased a Prophet 5 at the same time.

Best stand for a Prophet 5 ever made! I had a similar arrangement, with a CX-3 sandwiched in between them.

Sold my CP a few years ago. Liked it at the time, but can't say that I miss it....

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing."

- George Bernard Shaw

Archived