Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Slash, Zakk Wylde, Steve Vai throw Yngwie some praise

aph

http://metalshockfinland.com/2013/02/19/yngwie-malmsteen-advance-praise-for-relentless-from-slash-steve-vai-joe-satriani-zakk-wylde/

As previously posted, legendary Swedish guitarist , Yngwie Malmsteen is going to release an official biography entitled Relentless: The Memoir on May 21st via Wiley publishers. You can read an advance praise for this book below:

Slash: Yngwie literally blew my mind when he came on the LA music scene in the early 80′s. the fastest & most articulate, fluid, melodic, classical based rock guitarist Id ever heard. Still the best at what he does all these years later.

Steve Vai: When Yngwie Malmsteen hit the scene in the early 80′s it was as if a monolith appeared. He was playing electric rock guitar in a way that seemed completely unearthly and had to be seen to be believed.

His tone was pristine and powerful, his vibrato, intonation and control was stunning, His harmonic and melodic sensibilities were unique, his emotional investment in his melodies was captivating, and his sheer speed and technical command of the instrument was utterly breathtaking to the point of frightening for some.

He absolutely set a standard of virtuosity on the instrument that has yet to be matched. He was a breath of visceral fresh air that inspired the movement of a whole new subculture of music. He was always unequivocally and unquestionably dedicated to his passions and delivered without any excuses. And since then, the bastard has just been getting better!

I have had the good fortune of knowing him for the past 25 years and have stood next to him on stage many times. It always felt as though I was standing next to a mountain, solid, giant and forever.

A few things about Yngwie that some may not know is that he is remarkably intelligent and has a fiery sense of humor that delivers on par with his musical gifts.

Joe Satriani: Malmsteen loves to play guitar, and hes really good at it. I know this from personal experience.

Ive stood right next to him on many a stage, shoulder to shoulder, trading solos, celebrating our influences, taking chances, playfully testing each others limits and putting on a great show for our fans. At the end of every performance I was sure of two things: Yngwie is an amazing guitarist, and that there is only one Yngwie Malmsteen.

Lets face it, every guitarist wishes they could do what he does with those six strings and a pick, but what he does is not only super human, it is undeniably unique and original too. There are imitators, some with equal proficiency, but none that can match the heart and the confidence behind his virtuosity.

The last time we played together was at Marshalls 50th Anniversary Concert at Wembley Arena in London on September 22nd, 2012, and I think it was the best Id ever heard him play. Yes, hes getting better!

I was on stage just behind the curtain warming up with my guitar as I listened to Yngwie enthrall the audience with his impeccable and furious technique. But its his passion for music that really lights everyone up in the audience up. Its the fire burning in those hands that make every note scream. He puts all of who he is, no excuses, no apologies, into every note and every sound he makes on his guitar.

There is only one Yngwie Malmsteen.

Zakk Wylde: You have Good Guitar Players. You have Great Guitar Players. Then you have The Ones that CHANGE THE GAME.

Like Jimi Hendrix & Edward Van Halen before him,Yngwie Walks Amongst them. Its not Just his Sheer & Utter Mastery & Command of the Instrument that makes him Amazing. The Phrasing, The Vibrato, The Tone, His FEEL & PASSION along with the Overall Musicality That he brings to The table is what makes him so Special & Unique. Where other guitar players, play fast and say Nothing, Yngwie Speaks. If youve ever wondered what Bach, Beethoven, Mozart, Vivaldi & Paganini would have been capable of doing if they lived in the 21st Century, Look no further. They All Reside within one Yngwie J. Malmsteen.and They are Smiling

Richard McDonald, Fender Guitars: most meaningful endorsements come from artists that truly believe in the products they use. Fender has never embraced a pay-to-play relationship with artists. We are always looking for the quintessential Fender players. The individuals that use our instruments to create new, captivating and inspiring music. Yngwie J. Malmsteen is exactly that artist. His compositions and playing were so fresh, his technique and sound so different. It represented a new era and a new level of musical sophistication in the heavy rock genre. Guitarists the world over were in awe. Not since Jimi Hendrix in the 1960s had the musical community witnessed such a redefinition of guitar music.

When the idea of Signature Artist instruments surfaced in the late 1980s we selected two players we felt earned this special acknowledgment. One was Eric Clapton and the other was Yngwie Malmsteen. If you are lucky enough to spend meaningful time with him you will quickly understand he is a Fender fanatic, collector and historian. Not only was it a privilege to design a signature model Stratocaster with him it was an incredible challenge to reproduce the unique specifications of his guitar. The instrument is still one of our most popular artist models and stands as a tribute to his longevity and popularity across a broad audience of players and enthusiasts.

Nick Bowcott, Marshall Amplification: Every once in a blue moon a rock-guitarist comes along that doesnt just reset the bar, but turns the whole genre upside-down. Such players are few and far between. Jimi Hendrix; Jimmy Page; Eric Clapton; Jeff Beck; Edward Van Halen; Randy Rhoads; Dimebag Darrell.and a six-string supernova named, Yngwie J. Malmsteen.

Although Yngwie was first introduced to many via Spotlight column in Guitar Player in the early 80s, most didnt actually hear him until the April 1985 issue of the magazine which contained a 7 flexi-disc (remember those now extinct items?!) featuring Yngwie performing Black Star from his debut solo album. Such was the explosive impact of his playing that I can tell you exactly where I was when I first heard it just as I can recount the location of my initial encounters with Messrs. Van Halen and Rhoads. The result? A new star was born and sweep-picking and neo-classical playing became the same overnight sensation as two-handed tapping was when Eruption was released. And its all Yngwies fault

Yngwies love for Marshall is well-known. The man literally crams as much of our gear into each-and every-venue he plays on as the size of the stage will allow. And for that we are eternally grateful. As he likes to say: there are only two man-made objects you can see from outer-space the Great Wall of China and my Marshall backline! Not surprisingly, in 2011 Marshall unveiled the Yngwie J. Malmsteen signature JYM100 headand we do not expect that to be the only project we collaborate together on.

Yngwie and the late, great Jim Marshall met in 1984, hit it off immediately due to their shared odd-ball, sense-of-humour, and remained great friends right up until Jims passing in 2012. During the making of the charity song Were Stars one of the members of the fictional band, Spinal Tap, joked that the only reason Yngwie uses the name Yngwie J. Malmsteen is to distinguish himself from all the other Yngwie Malmsteens out there. If truth be told though, our friend doesnt even need to use his last-nameYngwie is enough for any guitarist on the planet to know exactly who is being referred to.

Seymour W. Duncan, Chairman Seymour Duncan Pickups: Yngwie is one of a very small handful of pioneer players who shook up the world of electric guitar and opened it up to an entirely new way of playing. And hes got some amazing tone!

Evan Skopp, Vice President Artist Relations, Seymour Duncan Pickups: His guitar virtuosity is renowned. But one thing most people dont know about Yngwie is what a great guy he is. Super intelligent. Funny as hell. And a family man. Hes one of the coolest artists Ive had the pleasure of working with. Paul Youngblood, V.P. BOSS/Roland Guitar Yngwie J. Malmsteen is the father of shred guitar. His influence on the guitar and other guitar players is huge. Yngwie is always totally in control and a master. And by the way, Yngwie really rocks!

Walter Rührig, AKG Acoustics: Yngwie Malmsteen is a fantastic ambassador for AKG acoustics premium pro audio products. Yngwies outstanding musical talent and performance deserves top professional equipment support and we are extremely pleased for having been chosen by him as a partner he trusts in.

Im personally impressed by Yngwies passion for his music and his incomparable, powerful style when performing life on stage. He fades away, transforms all his energy into his guitar playing and entertains his fans at a top musical and emotional level. And millions love him for that.

I will never forget in my life when I first met Yngwie in person. When Yngwie left a colleague of mine came close and asked me with full excitement, Do you know who that was? And I responded to him full of pride, Yes my friend, THIS was Yngwie Malmsteen!!

The book is available for preorder via Amazon at this location.

I always think it cool when other musicians praise each other. I agree Yngwie was quite the innovator I still to this day love the instrumental Brothers he did [video:youtube]

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

All true, the guy is phenomenal. Still I would rather hear Satriani. Or someone with a lot less technique and a lot of feel.

Playing a lot of notes even if they are advanced musically impresses initially, but I can't listen to that stuff for more than a few minutes, then it just becomes frantic sounding to me. Of course that is just my personal taste.

I would personally rather hear BB King, Howard Roberts...or even Satriani as mentioned above.

My drummer from the Sixties was opening Satch shows all over the USA with Leslie West for a year or so - but my point of view has nothing to do with that.

Personally don't like music when a player trained to the tits doesn't get what a "rest" is for and blows his brains out every time he picks up the instrument.

Talented to an amazing degree plus word has it that he's arrogant beyond comprehension.

Been round the block but am not over the hill...

http://www.bandmix.ca/jamrocker/

I would personally rather hear BB King, Howard Roberts...or even Satriani as mentioned above.

My drummer from the Sixties was opening Satch shows all over the USA with Leslie West for a year or so - but my point of view has nothing to do with that.

Personally don't like music when a player trained to the tits doesn't get what a "rest" is for and blows his brains out every time he picks up the instrument.

Talented to an amazing degree plus word has it that he's arrogant beyond comprehension.

Oh you don`t have to depend on rumor, a read through one or two of his interviews would settle that issue.

But yeah no denying his ability even though it is basically pushed to an insane degree in one direction. I have a copy of Marching Out somewhere and I`ve never been able even to get through the first half in one sitting. Two cuts, maybe three and I`ve had enough.

Same old surprises, brand new cliches-

Skipsounds on Soundclick:

www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandid=602491

Yngwie Rocks!

He was what a younger Ritchie Blackmore would've been if he could have. Gramham Bonnett was talking recently about their first meeting and he said Yngwie looked like Ritchie and he played liked Ritchie, having him in the band was a no brainer.

Ritchie thought Yngwie was a great player but needed to calm down.

I had the Steeler album the Alcatrazz albums and the 1st 5 solo albums. Nothing since 1989..... I don't know if Yngwie ever calmed down any.

I liked him best when he wasn't trying to be a 80's rock star and focused on instrumental music. Oddessey had some nice songs but by in large his lyric writing I never thought was very good. Especially that stuff on Marching Out, like 'I am a Viking' :D

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

I had the Steeler album the Alcatrazz albums and the 1st 5 solo albums. Nothing since 1989..... I don't know if Yngwie ever calmed down any?

Title cut from the new record. Nope! :D :D :D :D

[video:youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K2NyYKQcpI0

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

I had the Steeler album the Alcatrazz albums and the 1st 5 solo albums. Nothing since 1989..... I don't know if Yngwie ever calmed down any?

Title cut from the new record. Nope! :D :D :D :D

[video:youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K2NyYKQcpI0

Yngwie has many chilled out moments in his songwriting

[video:youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gDdo8sEcOgQ

[video:youtube]

and he did an all acoustic album a couple years ago

+1 DBM but for me, I'd rather hear Tommy Emmanuel...

Ain't Tommy phenomenal? Not as technically brilliant as some of those shredders but just outstanding musically. I was mesmerized watching that guy play on PBS a few months back.

Careful, dbm...you don't wanna unleash the fury...

;)

I am in agreement with most guys on this forum on Yngwie. I been posting here for years and years, and we have hashed over this subject many times. We all agree he is a monster guitarist, however it is my personal taste, (which I am entitled to), that prefers other players for my musical listening pleasure. I used to be a big fan of players like John McLaughlin and Al DeMeola back before Yngwie showed up, but these days I prefer a more laid back melodic sense from the players I listen to.

Yngwie-O'Phobes are plentiful here...

Phenom - describes him best in 80s

Awesome - describes him best forever

Monster technician - is indisputable

Massive body of work - is an understatement

Then on the other hand one might also say:

One Trick Pony

Stylistically Narrow

Not always emotionally connected or available

In my collection, I've cherry picked my favorites from him. I love his playing and his music! But, I can't play the cherry picked favorites back to back without it running together or getting old.

Same with Al and Mc and Tommy...

IMO...

I agree with that assessment, Terrell.

Still, I'll admit to being a big fan, even today. Heck, I still sing "Ships Are Burned" and- most amusingly for a black dude- "I Am A Viking" in the shower.

Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: âNinety percent of everything is crapâ

My FLMS- Murphy's Music in Irving, Tx

http://murphysmusictx.com/

i love "i am a Viking"..but then i dig Thor. sometimes a little cheese is good for metal.

seriously i like YJM. and i still chuckle when i think back to when i was asking a girl at the local record store in rural Nova Scotia for "Yngwie J Malmsteen's rising force"..and the blank look she gave me..heh heh.

+1 DBM but for me, I'd rather hear Tommy Emmanuel...

Ain't Tommy phenomenal? Not as technically brilliant as some of those shredders but just outstanding musically. I was mesmerized watching that guy play on PBS a few months back.

+1 "mesmerized" is a great way to describe watching him play. My daughter bought me a PBS DVD knowing I was going to go to the show. When I went to the show it was the same performance as on the DVD so I was prepared for the "been there, done that" saying, thinking I've already seen what he could do. But seeing him live, I just sat there drooling with my jaw dropped from the beginning to the end of the performance. You just can't take your eyes off of him if you're a guitar player... :thu:

Take care, Larryz

Dannyalcatraz

Did you get a chance to see the Yngwie clinic at the Dallas International Guitar show in 2008? I met him that day and I shot this footage he was very nice guy shook hands and talked at the signing

I was, unfortunately, out of town!

I have missed a lot of good shows due to unavoidable traveling up and down I35: Santana, Tool, Satriani, the Romero Brothers, YJM (twice!) and many more.

Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: âNinety percent of everything is crapâ

My FLMS- Murphy's Music in Irving, Tx

http://murphysmusictx.com/

This much isn't even debateable; Malmsteen is a fine guitarist. He has worked hard at what he does and deserves recognition for that much, if not much more. When it comes to shred, he is definitely one of the cats.

But superhuman? NO. He has the same number of arms, hands and fingers as every other guitarist. What he has accomplished is difficult, even among players of his caliber, but not impossible.

In honesty, I don't think he "changed the game" of guitar playing. I will admit that he sure upped the ante quite a bit. And it must be said that "changing the game", which I take to mean doing something that alters the direction of technique or gear and/or it's application in a massive number of guitarists, is becoming a more and more difficult proposition. What Yngvie has accomplished is not really diminished by that. But the truth is, he just one of a number of really fast, highly technical, classically influenced guitarists who happened to come along at the right time to be impressive to an audience who wanted to hear what he plays. Good for him.

Always remember that you are unique. Just like everyone else.

This much isn't even debateable; Malmsteen is a fine guitarist. He has worked hard at what he does and deserves recognition for that much, if not much more. When it comes to shred, he is definitely one of the cats.

But superhuman? NO. He has the same number of arms, hands and fingers as every other guitarist. What he has accomplished is difficult, even among players of his caliber, but not impossible.

In honesty, I don't think he "changed the game" of guitar playing. I will admit that he sure upped the ante quite a bit. And it must be said that "changing the game", which I take to mean doing something that alters the direction of technique or gear and/or it's application in a massive number of guitarists, is becoming a more and more difficult proposition. What Yngvie has accomplished is not really diminished by that. But the truth is, he just one of a number of really fast, highly technical, classically influenced guitarists who happened to come along at the right time to be impressive to an audience who wanted to hear what he plays. Good for him.

Picker - With all due respect, I'm guessing that you weren't "tuned in" to the hard rock / metal guitar scene in 80's. But, the fact that you used the word "shredder" indicates the impact that the guy had on guitar... People were blown away because there was nothing like him at the time! His style of playing inspired an entire subclass of player / enthusiast / gene we now call shredder.

Not your cup of tea...

I was as tuned in to what was going on back then as much as the next guy. The neo-classical shred thing actually started much earlier, with Richie Blackmore, to whom Yngwie owes a large and freely admitted debt. If you don't believe me, pull up Deep Purple's Highway Star on You Tube and check it out, along with most of the Machine Head LP. That came out in 1971, I think.

About 73, Jazz fusion players like John McLaughlin, Al DiMeola and Larry Coryell started bringing divergent influences into jazz, which was previously a sort of amalgamation of the power of blues with the sophistication of classical music.

Around 1977, EVH released "Eruption" which pushed the neo-classical thing a little further down the pike. Then came Randy Rhodes, who's classically influenced playing took Ozzie to a revived career around 79 or 80. After them, Steve Vai and Yngvie both played in and left the band Alcatrazz during 1983, not sure who replaced who but I think Yngvie came first there. Then Joe Satriani got some notice in GP too. By the way, Vai, Eric Johnson, and, I think, Satriani all had Sound Sheets published in GP at least 4 years before Yngvie did. I was a subscriber at that time, and I got them all.

Now, all this is a vast oversimplification of a period of 15-25 years, and I left quite a few players out, but I think I've included enough of the more well--known names to tie what I'm saying all together.

The truth is, by the late 80's-early 90's(when Dark Star was a Sound Sheet in GP), there was a raging buttload of super fast metal players who employed melodic and harmonic minor scales to avoid what had become the dreaded "blues scale" cliche's of what had become the previous generation's boring old farts.

I can't say whether Yngwie had better management or publicists than the rest of the guys did or if he just got lucky enough to be in the right place at the right time, but he really was just one of a large number of guys that could have had the attention he got, and for pretty much the same reasons. That doesn't make him any worse than anybody else, or diminish his real accomplishment, which was to expand the repertoire of electric guitar. But no, he wasn't superhuman, and no, he didn't really make a radical change in music, the music business, or the music industry. He was a fine player who did well, standing on the shoulders of the players who came before him. Isn't that enough?

Picker - Didn't mean to offend you. It sounds like you've got the timeline straight as I remember it.

Again, with respect to you as my senior here, I clearly see the influence from Richie which is known as Yngwie's main guitar influence. Richie, Paganini, Bach, Uli Jon Roth and Brian May.

But, the examples you've sited seem so far away from Yngwie that I'm finding it hard to make a connection. That's just me...

Rhodes classical influence is apparent in his music, but his approach was more 20th century and polyphonic.

Mc, Al and Larry were in a completely different league.

EVH - I don't see the neo classical approach.

That's just me...

Picker - Didn't mean to offend you.

No offense taken, dude, it's all good.

It sounds like you've got the timeline straight as I remember it.

Thanx, like I said, it's massive oversimplification, but I think it's pretty accurate.

Again, with respect to you as my senior here, I clearly see the influence from Richie which is known as Yngwie's main guitar influence. Richie, Paganini, Bach, Uli Jon Roth and Brian May.

But, the examples you've sited seem so far away from Yngwie that I'm finding it hard to make a connection. That's just me...

Rhodes classical influence is apparent in his music, but his approach was more 20th century and polyphonic.

But clearly classical, which is the connection I was making.

Mc, Al and Larry were in a completely different league.

But they were playing scalar lines based outside the minor pentatonic that was prevalent in rock & blues, so their style has more kinship with classical theory than jazz did prior to their advent.

EVH - I don't see the neo classical approach.

Pull up Eruption, and you'll hear what inspired much of what the neo-classical movement in rock became.

I was, unfortunately, out of town!

I have missed a lot of good shows due to unavoidable traveling up and down I35: Santana, Tool, Satriani, the Romero Brothers, YJM (twice!) and many more.

I saw YJM at the Granada and House of Blues in Dallas along with the clinic he did in Dallas. I also saw him in San Antonio as well. He will be touring again this spring and summer.

I can't say whether Yngwie had better management or publicists than the rest of the guys did or if he just got lucky enough to be in the right place at the right time, but he really was just one of a large number of guys that could have had the attention he got, and for pretty much the same reasons. That doesn't make him any worse than anybody else, or diminish his real accomplishment, which was to expand the repertoire of electric guitar. But no, he wasn't superhuman, and no, he didn't really make a radical change in music, the music business, or the music industry. He was a fine player who did well, standing on the shoulders of the players who came before him. Isn't that enough?

Actually Yngwie was living in Sweden at the time and he sent a tape to Mike Varney who was so impressed with his playing that he flew Yngwie to California got him a gig with band Steeler who was led by Ron Keel. The album sold big. it was an independent release and sold over 100,000 copies with no radio airplay or MTV exposure. Yngwie then quit and joined Alcatrazz and Vai replaced Malmsteen who quit in 1984 when he was signed as a solo artist to Polygram records. I think what set Yngwie apart from the others was his distinct European approach. He detuned his guitars and played in minor keys. The flow felt dark and moody which I loved. I too agree with the posters Yngwie playing had nothing to doing with eruption or EVH.

Archived