Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Noob question: playing the Schon lick from DSB

timwat

Hey all,

I'm a professional KB player who has just started guitar lessons.

I'm a regular over at the Keyboard Corner sister forum, but have a very beginner guitar question. My apologies if this has already been answered somewhere on this forum; I searched but couldn't find anything...oh, and no, I haven't asked my instructor this question yet, and I realize I should, but since I was already here...

I'm trying to figure out how to play the four-note descending motif in the opening section of Don't Stop Believing. I believe the notes are simply E-D#-C#-B, but I'm not sure how to pick or finger that to bring it to speed.

On YT, Schon has a soundcheck vid where he demonstrates it at full speed (below), but I can't figure out what he's doing (other than making it look childishly simple..)

[video:youtube]

Can anyone here throw a complete noob a bone? Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.

Best,

Tim Wat

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

<---- maybe start by looking on youtube as there are some free lessons to get headed in the direction of getting the gist of the song...

http://www.chordie.com/chord.pere/www.guitaretab.com/j/journey/9482.html <---- then maybe check out a site like chordie.com

<--- and don't forget to watch it live...piano is a good thing! Good luck with it!

Take care, Larryz

E - C# - B - A

It's in E-maj

There are 15 odd ways to play it. The way he plays it is F'ed up:

1--------------r-Oring

2---17---------r-19bend

3-----18-16----r-------

4-----------19-r-------

I'd play it like:

1---------------r--Oring

2---17-14-12----r--19bend

3-----------14--r-------