Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

new Sam Ash store in Manhattan

Dana.

Sam Ash's new megastore on 34th between 8th and 9th is now open and I made a quick stop there yesterday while running errands. The main issue with the keyboard area in the former location was that it wasn't logically laid out, and it was divided into two rooms. The keyboard area in the new location is now in one "room," but I can't say the layout is any more logical or friendly. Instruments are loosely grouped according to type/brand, but there are also large columns in the middle of the room which keyboards are attached to, sort of acting as independent kiosks. The effect makes the room look cluttered. I didn't really have a desired layout in mind when I entered -- something more self-contained perhaps? -- but this ain't it. Oh well. At least I don't have to travel to Times Square anymore. (I didn't have time to take photos. Next time maybe.)

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nice to hear - thanks for the info.

I wasn't aware that was in the works. Loved the 48th St. store - spent some quality time and money there and at Manny's next door before moving back to the midwest a few years ago.

U1 | NP | NS3 | NE3 HP | K10

That's pretty close to B&H, isn't it? Not that B&H's keyboard department is impressive, as they have their keyboards displayed on what looks like retail shelving.

Here in the NY/NJ metro area, Sam Ash has always had a tendency to open a store near another music store. I have a good friend with a Mom & Pop music store in Edison NJ (been there forever) and SA opened about a half mile away about 20 years ago. Probably 10 years ago or so, a Guitar Center opened in Springfield NJ on Route 22. Less than a year later, Ash opened a store literally across the street.

That's why it seems ironic that they moved pretty close to B&H. It seems to be their modus operandi to try to leech off a competitor by proximity. To their credit, the keyboard department does have a bigger selection.

That's pretty close to B&H, isn't it?

Yes, a half block away.

That's why it seems ironic that they moved pretty close to B&H. It seems to be their modus operandi to try to leech off a competitor by proximity. To their credit, the keyboard department does have a bigger selection.

I don't know to what extent B&H is serious competition for Sam Ash. I think it would've made more sense for Sam Ash to open near Guitar Center on 14th. The other two Sam Ash locations here are further out in Queens and Brooklyn. For someone who doesn't have a car (me), both are schleps. In fact, I've never been to the one in Brooklyn because public transit doesn't go there.

Quite fortunate. :laugh:

I have to drive over an hour to Sam Ash. And the keyboard department is like you described... stuff all over the place.

We do have a GC that's closer, but their synth selection leaves a great deal to be desired.

When an eel hits your eye like a big pizza pie, that's a Moray.

GC = Guitar Center not Keyboard Center

Well, they used to be Keyboard Center, sorta....

From Wikipedia...

Founded in Hollywood by Wayne Mitchell in 1959 as The Organ Center, a retailer of electronic organs for home and church use, it became a major seller of Vox electric guitars and guitar amplifiers, changing its name to The Vox Center in 1964. Toward the end of the 1960s, Voxwhose sales derived largely from its association with The Beatles, who made extensive use of its amplifiersfell in popularity as Marshall amplifier users Eric Clapton and others captured musicians' imaginations. Accordingly, Mitchell once again changed the name, this time to Guitar Center.

Stuff and things.

FWIW, if you're looking for a store in NYC to play all the new keyboards, Sam Ash is unquestionably the place to go. The two Guitar Centers here are not nearly as well stocked. And if you want to check out some vintage keyboards, go to Main Drag in Brooklyn.

Archived