Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Roland A-88 / RD-64 / Ivory Feel-G action

Dana.

Just a quick note to say that I was able to play a Roland A-88 today and can confirm that it does not exhibit the same "broken" feeling that I've experienced playing the RD-300NX and FP-4F (all three are supposed to share the Ivory Feel-G action). Can't explain why this is, but it bodes well for the RD-64.

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I thought it was weird they didn't have any RD-64s to play at NAMM. Probably too soon to have anything but a few prototypes hangin' around I guess. No matter. No way 64 notes would ever work for me. If they update the 700/300 model in the Fall I'd at least wanna play it to check 'em out. I think its been 3 years in the Fall since the NXs came out ?

Dave - I would have sworn the NXs couldn't be that old until I looked at my KC signup date. I joined when I was looking for info for a new DP in 2008. And the NXs came out a couple of years after I bought my GX so 3 years is spot on.
Instrumentation is meaningless - a song either stands on its own merit, or it requires bells and whistles to cover its lack of adequacy, much less quality. - kanker

Gee the last 64 note piano Roland had was the MP-600 back in the late 70s. I had one, great action and inexpensive (and lighter) compared to the Yamaha CP30. Those extra 3 keys beyond the standard 61 really helped, particularly having a low E. Didn't miss the high keys above G much.

"The devil take the poets who dare to sing the pleasures of an artist's life." - Gottschalk

Soundcloud

Aethellis

Just a quick note to say that I was able to play a Roland A-88 today and can confirm that it does not exhibit the same "broken" feeling that I've experienced playing the RD-300NX and FP-4F (all three are supposed to share the Ivory Feel-G action). Can't explain why this is, but it bodes well for the RD-64.

Thinking of getting one for yourself?

I gotta believe Roland realized they missed the boat with the action on the NX and 4F, so I would expect the new generation to be better.

Gigging: Crumar Mojo 61, Hammond SKPro

Home: Vintage Vibe 64

Archived