Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

NAD

Wally Malone

Well, last evening my friend dropped off my new Genz Benz ShuttleMax 9.2. He had called me yesterday afternoon to tell me it arrived and he would drop it off on his way home. Since it was too late to get it plugged in and set up I decided to just read the manual and go for it today. Another good thing it is the three-day weekend giving me an extra daytime to have fun!

Wally

I have basses to play, places to be and good music to make!

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I know you know what the Shuttle amps are like, but I think you'll be surprised how versatile these amps are.

I've got a 6.0 and a ShuttleMax 12.0 and I can't imagine wanting to make a change now.

Speaker cabs... that's a different animal altogether.

Jim

Confirmed RoscoeHead

I was excited for a minute there thinking you had gotten a REAL bass amp like a SVT with double fridges! Sadness :(

Nah, just kidding Wally, congrats on the new amp!

Now go turn it up and annoy the neighbors! :D

Nothing is as it seems but everything is exactly what it is - B. Banzai

Life is what happens while you are busy playing in bands.

I spent some time with it yesterday and got to some initial settings for my Kubicki, Ibanez GVB36, Fender Jazz with Roland V Bass and my 1/4 size Kay. I started off with their recommendations for settings but ended up doing what I was always told was to turn the master all the way up. I did that and kept the tone settings at 12 o'clock and that did the trick keeping the peak light from coming on. I'll set up the A/B switch today and see how it feels switching between two instruments. I'll probably try my F Bass to see how it sounds but the danger would be that I would decide not to sell it. The problem with that is the MacBook Pro and Logic Pro software goes on the back burner.

Wally

I was excited for a minute there thinking you had gotten a REAL bass amp like a SVT with double fridges! Sadness :( ... :D

I read this and thought yeah, a real bass amp. Who doesn't find a SVT and big cabs irresistable. But you know, as the practical side of me starts thinking..., even if I had it, I don't think I would ever use such a beast except for huge shows (which I don't do) or if someone else was moving it for me (which is more than unlikely). Cool thought though :)

But to the OP, yeah, new amp day coinciding with a day off is definitely a good thing! I'll think about you when I'm at work tomorrow.

I just sold the most powerful amp I've ever had and one of the best preamps made and no longer available new on the market. The rack and these items weighed 42 pounds and the GB SM 9.2 weighs 6.75 pounds.

The testing yesterday and today I've done using both Accugroove Tri112s. I will get around to trying one cabinet at a time as well.

I tried my F Bass BN5 today and it didn't tell me not to sell it. It sounds great but this is not the easiest bass for me to play nowadays.

On a good note I just found settings that work A/B ing my URB & GVB36 without changing any settings. This is a combination that I use in jazz situations. I found they both sound good combining both the FET and Tube channels.

Taking a break now and will do a little more later trying some other combinations.

Wally

I just sold the most powerful amp I've ever had and one of the best preamps made and no longer available new on the market. The rack and these items weighed 42 pounds and the GB SM 9.2 weighs 6.75 pounds.

Same boat for me about a year ago. I had a QSCRMX power amp and Sansamp RBI rack over an Avatar 212. 75 over 75lbs and I moved it every weekend. Sold it in favor of a Carvin BX500 over a GK212mbe. I use a laptop bag instead of a handcart and my total weight for the combined units is now 40lbs. I shaved weight by 70%. I can drive an old Honda instead of my old van (which I sold too). Still dig my tone.

I found they both sound good combining both the FET and Tube channels.

I sometimes combine the channels to get 4 bands of semi-parametric mid EQ. Really helps when playing in a bad room...or when my ears are asking for something out of the ordinary.

Have you played around with the L.F. Boost?

At first, I kept it maxed to get the huge bottom I was accustomed to with the 4/5 button engaged on my G-K 1001. As I've grown more accustomed to the tighter bottom of the Genz, I find I only use the L.F. Boost in my rehearsal space, which has a low end suck.

Archived