Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Guitar Selection Part 3

Fusker

Must be a demographic issue, as I've not noticed the used prices being drastically different from Fender. If there is, I'd say it's minimal enough to be safely ignored. Admittedly though, I don't keep a constant eye on that stuff.

I don't personally believe that there truly is an investment factor, short of the obvious collector's pieces, one-ofs, etc. Just about everything we musicians buy is an expense and remains so, if looked at on an individual piece basis. I suppose we could say that a gigging musician without any other source of income, who depends on his gear to bring home the bacon, might consider all of it to be an investment. But then, when it comes time to sell an individual piece, he can typically expect to take a loss.

Eh, none of this really matters anyway, cuz if the instrument gets you there spiritually and emotionally, you ain't gonna sell it, right? ;)

My ears are haunted.

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Russclan, I agree that a purchase of music equipment is an investment for a pro, even if it's not exceptionally collectable. But I think a big factor to consider on any expense is that there are some guitars you're better off really liking if you buy, because that's the only way you're gonna get a decent return on your investment, because you won't be able to get your money back out of them if you sell.

Truthfully speaking, Carvin is one of those brands. And, you don't get as much opportunity to play one in a store to see if you like them as some guitars. For some folks, that's a deal breaker right there. Me, I think about 60% of what makes a guitar feel right is how it's set up, and these days, a lot of that sort of thing can be adjusted. But neck size & shape, how the guitar hangs and balances, overall weight, inherent sustain, etc, those are not so easily remedied if they are wrong for you from the start. And you can only tell that about a guitar by handling it.

Overall, you gotta go with your gut, which doesn't help you much in making your choice. I doubt you're gonna wind up much worse off between the two brands, whichever you choose. They are both reputable brands and make really good guitars. It's really down to what you like. If this is an attempt to find a guitar that you want to stick with for a long time, I'd advise you to go out to a lot of stores and try a bunch of guitars of different sorts to see what really floats your boat. If you have some obliging friends who'll trust you enough to loan you a guitar, take some out on gigs or rehearsals and see if they do what you like. It's the only way to figure out what you like.

Always remember that you are unique. Just like everyone else.

The best G&Ls are clones of strats and teles.

With all respect, Picker, those are Leo Fender's designs, and he had every right to continue improving on them. It could be said that Fender is making clones of Leo's instruments, since nothing they've made in the last fifty years has had Leo's hands on it - just the name. I still think G&L's are better made than the current run of Fender instruments.

I agree that G&L's depreciate quickly, but so does everything else. Walk into any guitar store in the U.S., buy a new brand-name guitar, then drive across town to re-sell it at some other music store, and see what they offer you.

"Monsters are real, and Ghosts are real too. They live inside us, and sometimes, they win." Stephen King

http://www.novparolo.com

https://thewinstonpsmithproject.bandcamp.com

Leo's clones are like Paul's clones...they are both mass-produced like Ford's...but with more quality than most production line guitars using the same kind of craftsmen. You could go to a GC and get your hands on a Strat and a LP and call it a day. They don't have to be anything fancy (ie. from a basic Ford to a Lincoln town car) to sound good in the right hands and you'll have the best of both worlds...you can upgrade down the line but don't look for future value appreciation, just look to appreciate what's in your hand and ears.
Take care, Larryz

WInston, I wasn't downing G&L for cloning and improving on strats & teles. That's cool with me, nothing against that. What I meant was that you can get the same sort of thing from Carvin, plus other things if you wanted them. And yeah, everything depreciates, but take a Fender, a Gibson, and a G&L (and a Carvin, for the sake of the point I mean to make) that you just bought into that store you wrote about, and see which one gets you more.

Always remember that you are unique. Just like everyone else.

Archived