Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

clone opinion sought (not a flame!)

rockkeys

Which single manual clone has the most straight forward interface? I can't get hip to menus, start-up screens or any kind of editing for that matter. I just want to turn on and play. I know that every clone technically does this, but if I know that there are editable parameters, it messes me up. Less is more. I'm coming from an analog cx-3/vent combination. I can't quit it because I am so used to the "what you see is what you get" interface of the old korgs. What is the easiest clone to transition to from that setup?

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I think first choice would be Key B Solo, followed closely by Numa Organ. The Key B has a slightly more traditional look, two sets of drawbars, rocker switch controls... though the Numa has the traditional reverse preset keys. The Numa has just a couple of concessions to non-organ functionality... a pitch bend wheel and a MIDI control mode, but they are minimal and easy enough to ignore. The Numa weighs a lot less, if that's an issue. The Key B probably has more bulletproof software, as Studiologic stuff always seems to have its quirks.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

Although new here, I would find a nice used version 2 digital CX3 to try out. After not having played a Hammond (or clone either) for 30 years, I bought one and am very impressed with everything about it. Pretty straightforward and sounds great without any tweaking. Your YMMV. I'm sure it would sound even better with the Ventilator. You should be able to purchase one for around 1k$ or less.

John Cassetty

"there is no dark side of the moon, really. As a matter of fact it's all dark"

KeyB Solo. There are NO menus, NO MULTI-FUNCTIONS, everything is on the surface, where it would be on a real organ except for the handful of knobs that wouldnt even be on the organ (Treble, Bass, leakage, crosstalk, overdrive).

Most Hammond-like interface of any clone Ive seen (including Hammonds).

Hitting "Play" does NOT constitute live performance. -Me.

KeyB Solo. There are NO menus, NO MULTI-FUNCTIONS, everything is on the surface, where it would be on a real organ except for the handful of knobs that wouldnt even be on the organ (Treble, Bass, leakage, crosstalk, overdrive).

Most Hammond-like interface of any clone Ive seen (including Hammonds).

And now made in central Missouri, where I was born and bred. Buy a few and help put some of my kin folk to work.

Gigs: Nord 5D 73, Kurz PC4-7 & SP4-7, Hammond SK1, Yamaha MX88 & P121, Numa Compact 2x, Casio CGP700, QSC K12, Yamaha DBR10, JBL515xt(2). Alto TS310(2)

Tony (or anyone who can answer),

How do you compare the KeyB Solo and Numa in the areas of:

1) Raw Sound;

2) Leslie Sim;

3) Keybed feel?

I think you had (or still have a Numa) -- I can't keep track! :) and now the Solo!! So, inquiring minds blah blah blah... If you've already answered that question in another thread, my apologies...

aL

Gear: Yamaha MODX8, Mojo 61, NS2 73, C. Bechstein baby grand.

If you've already answered that question in another thread, my apologies...aL

I'm sure it is in the below link, everything else seemed to be mentioned in there ....

https://forums.musicplayer.com/ubbthreads.php/topics/2453814/Studiologic_Numa_Organ_vs_Hamm#Post2453814

57 Hammond B3; 69 Hammond L100P; 68 Leslie 122; Kurzweil Forte7 & PC3; M-Audio Code 61; Voce V5+; Neo Vent; EV ELX112P; GSI Gemini & Burn

Delaware Dave

Exit93band

Raw sound: Excellent. If you use the Direct Out, that sends an unadorned (no leslie sim, no overdrive) signal. It also has a leslie connection. I have used the direct out into my Ventilator, and while I wish the overdrive would still work, the raw tone is great.

Leslie Sim: Pretty fantastic. I still prefer my Ventilator, and that may be a case of what I am used to. I set the Ventilator based on what I want to hear, and when it comes to the tremolo speed, the KeyB is faster than my Ventilator, but that doesnt mean its not right. My personal taste may be a bit slower (I dont currently have a leslie to compare it to, and even if I did, depending on the belts tensile strength, etc.,theres just not a true standard, at least that Im aware of), and I am one of those guys that doesnt like Tremolo; I never leave it on fast, its just ramped up to accent what Im doing. That said, the KeyB Solos leslie sim is definitely the best sim I have encountered in a keyboard; its the only clonewheel Ive ever had (including the Numa) where I would be completely comfortable leaving the Ventilator at home and using whats inside instead.

Keybed Feel: Its a joy to play. It was a joy to play through headphones (I went back to the NAMM booth a number of times and got lost while playing it), and its a scream to play through an amp.

Hitting "Play" does NOT constitute live performance. -Me.

Thanks Tony. Sounds like you've hit the clone jackpot!!

Although I love my Numa and really can't afford any more toys for a while (still paying off my NS2), the KeyB has intrigued me both because it shares the same engine with the Numa (and is presumably superior to the Numa in implementing and squeezing the most out of it), and also because I love the KeyB layout. But man is it pricey, especially compared to what the Numa's fetch in the secondhand market.

Gear: Yamaha MODX8, Mojo 61, NS2 73, C. Bechstein baby grand.

Thanks Tony. Sounds like you've hit the clone jackpot!!

Although I love my Numa and really can't afford any more toys for a while (still paying off my NS2), the KeyB has intrigued me both because it shares the same engine with the Numa (and is presumably superior to the Numa in implementing and squeezing the most out of it), and also because I love the KeyB layout. But man is it pricey, especially compared to what the Numa's fetch in the secondhand market.

I was thinking the same thing. The KeyB has pretty much every feature I'd want (one of which is the lack of extra features that I wouldn't use). But the cost/benefit analysis between my current rig and the KeyB is tough...

Archived