Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Question for SV-1 and/or Kronos owners

MTalking

I'm considering getting a Korg SV-1, mostly for its electric piano sounds, as well as the ease of editing sounds (use the dials to change effects, add tube overdrive, etc).

However, I recently had a chance to play the Kronos briefly and was blown away by the EP sounds.

My question is, how much of a difference do you guys hear in the quality of the SV-1 electric pianos and those in the Kronos? Would you describe them as significantly better? And how easy are the Kronos sounds to edit on the fly?

Again, I like the immediacy of the SV-1 (no boot time, easy editing), but perhaps the Kronos EP sounds relative to SV-1 make the Kronos a better choice?

Does the Kronos feel as "organic" to you as the SV-1, again in terms of immediacy, playability...or does it feel like you're sort of playing a computer, if you know what I mean?

All that blabbering put another way: Is the level of Kronos EP sound quality relative to SV1 EP sound quality such that it's worth losing the instrument feel/immediacy/organic qualities of the SV-1?

(Yes, I know that the Kronos is considerably more expensive. That's another issue altogether, though, so I'm not factoring that into my decision making at this point.)

Thanks for any input, guys. I appreciate it.

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've never done a ton of tweaking midstream when playing a real rhodes or a sim.

Kronos EPs significantly superior to SV1. You can set up the multiple controller config per patch to change any part of the extensive model parameters.

No I've never felt it felt like playing a computer. No I've never felt I made any compromise choosing it over SV1.

I had a SV1. There were only a couple of EP's I really liked, everything else was ok. If I didn't hate the keybed on it so much I probably would have kept it, but I sold it and bought the a Kronos 88. Not only does everything about it sound better, but the keybed feel is phenominal. Even though they are both RH3's, huge difference. I had been thinking about getting another SV1 for the ease of use and portability, but now the Casio PX-5S is on my list instead.
Casio PX-5S...StudioLogic VMK 161 Organ Plus...

I agree with McGoo - more than any other digital keyboard (except maybe my XK3c), I connect with my SV1 when playing. The Rhodes (ep1-1) and Wurlitzer (ep2-1), in the original factory setting, come out ready to play music; no need to tweak. I love the interface too. When you play a drawbar organ, you are shaping the sound as you play not to "edit a patch", but to musically fit the emotion you are trying to communicate; moving drawbars is a part of playing. The SV1, for me, brings that feeling to EPs.

I have a Kronos and had a SV-1 (sold it due to an unexpected bill I had).

For regular clean (boring) rhodes I think the Kronos is a clear winner as the SV-1 had noticeable velocity switches... but I hate clean rhodes sounds (with a passion) and when dirtied up the velocity switches were not noticeable and therefore I preferred the SV-1 package as a whole... no load time, good feeling and connection and nice stand etc...

I have tried dirtying up the Kronos rhodes but the parameters aren't quite there... the EP-1 engine has some really odd things going on its engine which are really bogus... just like the Roland Supernatural Rhodes.

I had some wicked distorted rhodes sounds on my SV-1 (a friend bought it off me and he told me he loves all those sounds I had as favourites)... we're talking Miles Davis late 60s/70s Corea/Jarrett esque and not Thrust era Herbie which is what I think everyone seems to love and go for... (I think Clavia have the better handle on that to be honest)

I have a Rhodes MkII which I play 70% of my musical time (the other 30 is spent on the acoustic piano on the Kronos!)... I am still (after 20 years) blown away by the real thing and attempts by Korg and others still leave me wanting... every musician who comes to my house loves the MkII and can't keep their hands off it.

I've had a Kronos for a while and have liked the EP's with the exception of the overdriven ones. It has no good amp sim, IMHO. At the Midwest KC hang, we had a real Wurli, a Kronos, and an SV1 in the same room, which was a really great opportunity to compare. Comparing to the real Wurli, the Kronos did a great job on clean sounds. But I think the SV1 was a clear winner for the dirty ones, assuming lay due to having a tube. If you want a wide variety of highly tweakable EP sounds including Rhoads and Wurli along with tremelo, chorus, phase, etc, the Kronos is best all around. But if one really great gritty Wurli has enough significance, it might be worth going for the SV1 - just my 2 cents, and of course a subjective opinion.

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

I had 2 SV1s over about an 11 month interval. I really made an attempt to make it work for me but in the end I got rid of both. My priorities, as most of the regulars here know, are always acoustic piano simulations. I sold the first one after about 6 weeks and 10 months later gave it a second shot when the Soundpack 2 sounds became available. Compared to my CP5 it still paled in comparison for what I was looking for, so back it went to my friend who luckily refunded my dough.

I will say I did (and still do after briefly playing one at NAMM again) enjoy it from the EP perspective though. Again as most know here, I'm not a huge rhodes/wurli aficionado having had my fill back in the day, but it certainly did shine in that area.

I also used the Kronos once on a jazz gig and was impressed, more with the APs. I can't even remember if I called up an EP that whole night when I borrowed it.

Personally for me, just has a gigging instrument, the Kronos is way overkill. Perhaps a split down the middle might be checking out the Krome 88 ? Otherwise my vote for just something to play EP on would be the SV1. My only reservation, and it's a big one, would be the history of reliability issues around the keybed and the instrument itself.

You might want to check out the newer Nord Electro 4 HP as well.

https://soundcloud.com/dave-ferris

https://www.youtube.com/@daveferris2709

2005 NY Steinway D

Yamaha AvantGrand N3X, CP88, P515

I own both. For Rhodes, I think the Kronos has a slight edge as far as raw tone, only because it's less jumpy. But for Wurli, I think the SV kicks the Kronos's butt. The raw Wurli sound from the EP1 engine just doesn't sound much like a Wurli to me, but the SV nails it.

And I second the opinion that the Kronos amp sims can't touch the SV1's real tube preamp. Some people complain about it, but I dig it. It definitely gives the feeling of playing a real instrument, not a digital one.

What you've probably gathered from the utter lack of consensus so far is that it's really a matter of taste. Cost factors aside, get the one that makes you happy.

I have found that the SV-1 has great cut-through in a band situation. The real-tube preamp really makes it bark. The whole old-school vibe of the SV-1 is something you have to experience to appreciate... it isn't just the quality of the sounds but the sound combined with the amp sims, effects, and the RH1 keybed make the SV-1 an enjoyable performing instrument. I've been playing professionally since the early 70's and it's still a big kick for me to duplicate the keyboards/FX/amps I used in that era with the SV-1.

Also, I have played my SV-1 out probably 200 times with no reliability issues whatsoever.

I've played the Kronos and didn't like it, though I have friends who think it's the best thing they've ever played, so there's really only one opinion that counts - yours.

Haha... great there was a balanced response... I have voiced my concerns about the EP1 on the Kronos site and got all kinds of "You don't what you are doing kind of responses"... :D

Like Dave Ferris says... I also believe the Kronos is overkill for gigs (especially given the load time and possibility for crashes)... I think if you want one board and are into programming, FM, VA, etc.. and want to get lost in the Karma, arpegs, etc.. its a great board... personally I just stick with it's acoustic piano sounds from an RD700GX action atm..

To the extent that the SV1's EP overdrive character comes from its tube, what do you people think about putting a Kronos through, say, a guitar pedal with a 12AX7?

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

To the extent that the SV1's EP overdrive character comes from its tube, what do you people think about putting a Kronos through, say, a guitar pedal with a 12AX7?

Yes, I would recommend it. If you use a high quality overdrive that would definitely be an improvement over the SV-1. The only issue I have with the SV-1 overdrive is its too sensitive its hard to get subtle, the steps in the SV-1 are just too big.

The Blackstar HT-Dual is not a plate starved design and has a sweet sound it can do subtle and rip your face off. LINK

Boards: Kurzweil SP-6, Roland FA-08, VR-09, DeepMind 12

Modules: Korg Radias, Roland D-05, Bk7-m & Sonic Cell

Yes, I would recommend it. If you use a high quality overdrive that would definitely be an improvement over the SV-1. The only issue I have with the SV-1 overdrive is its too sensitive its hard to get subtle, the steps in the SV-1 are just too big.

You HAVE to use the editor to dial in the gain/overdrive - the resolution is there, but the front panel knobs are the culprit for the big jumps. Using the editor you have much finer resolution.

Jerry

My issue with Korg's Rhodes sounds "out of the box" is that the bell character is too pronounced, especially from C5 to C6, to the point of exaggeration. Even hitting a note lightly, it's too much. I recall Aidan, when he owned a SV-1, posted clips of his attempts to dial it back/out. He didn't have much success in getting a sound he liked.

I'm considering getting a Korg SV-1, mostly for its electric piano sounds, as well as the ease of editing sounds (use the dials to change effects, add tube overdrive, etc).

However, I recently had a chance to play the Kronos briefly and was blown away by the EP sounds.

All that blabbering put another way: Is the level of Kronos EP sound quality relative to SV1 EP sound quality such that it's worth losing the instrument feel/immediacy/organic qualities of the SV-1?

IMO, the Kronos EPs are not superior to the finger-to-ear connection and immediacy you get with the SV-1.

The Kronos is a great Swiss army knife of a KB. I just don't think it is worth spending another $2k when all you need is a few tweakable-on-the-fly EPs in a KB that feels good to play. :cool:

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

A friend has let me borrow his Kronos for a while, and Ive only had bursts of access to the SV1in stores, and in the Midwest KC Hang. As someone who owns neither, if I was going to pull the trigger for your purposes, Id get the SV1, but I would get the Nord Electro HP, or Nord Piano, or Nord Stage 2 instead (depending on budget).

That said, I liked the SV1 a lot. It does feel organic and like a real instrument. I just have no affection for the Kronos. It has some great sounds, and if I were immortal, Id probably have enough time to learn how to find them all, and maybe even audition them. But I find the Kronos just completely uninspiring..the equivalent of going to a strip club to find out that the star attraction is RuPaul.or Florence (of the Machine). Thats just me, but its the truth.

SV1, but Id go Nord first. YMMV. Good luck!

Hitting "Play" does NOT constitute live performance. -Me.

Love the Nords. Can't swing the dough-re-mi though.

Thanks, tonysounds, and everyone else.

The CFO (my wife) has given the OK to get the SV-1. If I start gigging a lot down the road, I may upgrade to/add the Kronos, as my live situations usually involve backing tracks. It would be nice to have those tracks inside the Kronos instead of lugging my Roland SP-303 (yes, seriously..it streams instantly and has separate outs!) to gigs. In the meanwhile, though, for playing and recording at home, I have all the DAW/synth needs covered with my computer, so yes, the Kronos would be some serious overkill. That's why I was wondering if you guys thought its EP sounds were dramatically better or not.

Anyways, I'm blabbering again.

For the price of an SV-1, you could easily get a used Nord Electro and maybe even a Piano.

Nah D, you're going to stir up GAS. The SV-1 already has the EPs and finger-to-ear connection. :laugh::cool:

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

Love the Nords. Can't swing the dough-re-mi though.

If you're considering any of the Nords--Piano 2, E4 HP or Stage 2. I have a connect that could help you with the fa-so-la-ti -dough. :) Shoot me a pm if interested.

https://soundcloud.com/dave-ferris

https://www.youtube.com/@daveferris2709

2005 NY Steinway D

Yamaha AvantGrand N3X, CP88, P515

Archived