Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Catfish Noodling

Anybody heard of noodling? I've only been fishing a couple of times in my life, so maybe it's common in some areas. If you've never heard of it, noodling is also called hand fishing, mainly for catfish. You wade into a lake, find a hole where a catfish might be, stick your arm into the hole and the catfish lunges out to latch onto the bait (your arm). And these are no normal-sized catfish. Seems like a good way to lose a limb.

http://www.johnsjottings.com/archives/images/catfish.jpg

Everybody knows rock attained perfection in 1974. It's a scientific fact. - Homer Simpson

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Hand grabbin is pretty common in the deep south. I've only done it a couple times, as you don't know what you're draggin out of one of those holes in the bank. Plus the dorsel on the channel cat can go all the way through a limb, literally! I've had one all the way through my hand before......big ouch.
Down like a dollar comin up against a yen, doin pretty good for the shape I'm in

I had a buddy that moved to Georgia for college and stayed there. Some of the locals got him interested in noodlin' and he really enjoyed it for a while. He stopped cold-turkey, however, when he accidentally got a hold of a rather large snapping turtle (actually, it was the other way around). It messed him up pretty bad.
None more black.

Originally posted by Geenard:

I want to hand grab salmon in Alaska before I kick the bucket. And see the lights of course.

Just make sure you ain't vying for a good spot in the stream with a Kodiak bear. The bear usually wins.

While you're up there, make sure you try to land a 300 lb. Halibut.

"Cisco Kid, was a friend of mine"

Archived